Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 06:19 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,477,136 times

Advertisements

I retired from the Navy in 2001. At that time I was told that I should expect to get a 30% disability rating from the VA, however any disability money that the VA gave me would be subtracted from my pension. So that my gross monthly income would remain the same.

After a series of medical appointments at the VA [that I was billed for], the VA decided that each of my five disabilities would receive ratings of 0%. They agreed that each was service-connected but that none of them disabled me from working a career. As the years go by and each gets worse, when they begin to get bad enough that they stop me from being able to work, then my rating could be reassessed.

As a retiree, on pension, I am already covered by Tricare. So I do get medical care that is far superior to what Active Duty personnel have. I know a lot of disabled vets [who are not retirees] and I must say that my medical care is far superior to theirs; they go to the Va, whereas I go to any civilian hospital that I want to go to.

I see no purpose in fighting with the VA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 AM

30,087 posts, read 18,701,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
As it is now, a disabled veteran that's retired from the military cannot collect retired pay and disability benefits unless they're at least 50% disabled. An antique law considers it double dipping. Every year your politicians garner the vet votes with false promises of change for disabled vets.
Any opinions on this? Should the law, though very costly, be changed?

Yes

Old 03-01-2011, 06:51 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,376,385 times
I will be the "bad guy".

I say NO.

Yes, they deserve (God yes).

We just can't pay for more now.

Let me at the US check book for a year and we would be better to the Vets.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:55 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,130,615 times
Yes, they've served their country.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:01 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,876,854 times
What have they done for ME. If they can't pay their own way, let the Churches take care of them. Do they pay taxes? They are just a drain on the real people who pay for the running of this Country. Take your big Gubment, and shove it!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:03 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,219,437 times
This post will fire up many, and I don't want to offend genuinely disabled vets, but getting declared disabled is the determined goal of many in the military. I personaly don't know of even one retired military person that isn't collecting some disability pay (though I'm sure exceptions exist), and I've worked with the military for over forty years. It's a constant goal to see how to increase the amount of disability. It's waste, fraud and abuse, and it's very widespread. Again, I sincerely apologize to those who are really disabled. The many shammers cast doubt on all.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 AM

46,328 posts, read 27,162,639 times
The rating system is weird, not everyone gets the same.

Take me, I wear hearing aids, my left ear is at 80% on a hearing test, my left ear is at 96% on a hearing test. They use the BEST ear for the rating for my VA disablility which puts me a 0% service related.

Total I am at 30% right now, knees, ring in both ears (they give me 10% for both ears not 10% per ear) and then my flat feet.

I have several others that are rated at 0%, service related.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:07 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,376,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
This post will fire up many, and I don't want to offend genuinely disabled vets, but getting declared disabled is the determined goal of many in the military. I personaly don't know of even one retired military person that isn't collecting some disability pay (though I'm sure exceptions exist), and I've worked with the military for over forty years. It's a constant goal to see how to increase the amount of disability. It's waste, fraud and abuse, and i 's very widespread. Again, I sincerely apologize to those who are really disabled. The many shammers cast doubt on all.
I agree...all this should be looked at before moving forward.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,837,665 times
Do you favor benefits for disabled veterans?
Better to spend the money on the corrupt politicians and corporations that sent them to war in the first place. That way the investors are protected. Soldiers are just tools to be expended for the greater profit of the privileged. Why should they be paid after they are used up?

As a Vietnam veteran (USN Riverine Forces 1966 - 1967) and I was not paid enough for being there and never paid afterward. I was discharged with 0% disability but I guess not being able to ever make close friends (why bother, they will be dead tomorrow) is not a disability. All societies have thrown away their wounded, crippled and insane veterans. I figure they always will.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,961,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
As it is now, a disabled veteran that's retired from the military cannot collect retired pay and disability benefits unless they're at least 50% disabled. An antique law considers it double dipping. Every year your politicians garner the vet votes with false promises of change for disabled vets.
Any opinions on this? Should the law, though very costly, be changed?
Silly question, they paid the price for our Nation, heck I would raise their benefits if I could.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies