Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:34 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,703,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Are you pro-life or pro-choice?
I do not support societal norms driving teenagers to kill themselves, so I am obviously pro-life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Oh my, now we are being "informed" by a fellow poster that we, "endorse slavery" Lol!
No. I never said that. I simply pointed out that if the justification for condemning homosexuality is one line out of the Torah, then one must also endorse slavery. You can't pick and choose which verses you're going to agree with.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:42 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times
I'm not sure why this is even in the news. Everyone is entitled to his opinion, and in this country, can determine their faith.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:49 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,528,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I'm not sure why this is even in the news. Everyone is entitled to his opinion, and in this country, can determine their faith.
It isn't news or newsworthy. It called not so subtle agenda pushing. Ad naseum.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:33 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,933,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I don't really understand the point of this thread. Osteen is a pastor of a Christian church. According to Biblical teaching, homosexuality is a sin. Nothing really newsworthy here IMO.

Like prevous poster stated he is entitled to his views.
Well well, it must be a blue moon because I AGREE with the above statement by you.
Casper

Old 01-29-2011, 08:43 AM

446 posts, read 649,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I wonder if Mr. Olsteen owns any slaves, as the Bible clearly states he should.
This!

What really gets me are the people who pick and choose what to believe in the Bible and what not to. I laugh heartily whenever I see someone condemning homosexuality while wearing polyester, eating cheeseburgers... and the biggest thing of them all: working on the Sabbath! *cue lightning!!!!!*

It ain't nothing but pure hypocrisy. If you're gonna try and condemn gay people based on the Bible, then you better not get off your narrow rear on a Saturday (the real Sabbath, of course) or else you're in violation and a major hypocrite.

What's more, when you analyze the CONTEXT in the Bible, it actually reveals a condemnation of irresponsible homosexuality, just like it does irresponsible heterosexuality!

As for the comments about "growing skin" and downplaying the impact of hateful rhetoric against gay teens, it just proves once again that right-wingers have a major deficit of compassion. Heck, on second thought, they LACK it. The fact of the matter is, being gay is not some "sinful choice", it is the way that a small part of the population turns out by nature, as with every other species on EARTH that reproduces sexually. I don't care if it's a Westboro-style "God Hates (you-know-whats)!" or if it's people like Osteen talking about it being a sin, it all comes down to people being put down for WHO THEY ARE. I've run into this problem as a gay teen, myself. When people put down others for a critical aspect of their person, they are bullies, and the victims deserve love and compassion, not "grow some skin". Bottom line, the facts, do not pass go or collect two hundred bucks.

Also, let me say right now that y'all cold-hearted people in this thread--and you know good and well who you are--need to check yourselves, because you ain't got no hearts, no compassion, and you're also violating the Golden Rule... which, last time I checked, is in the Bible. Violation!

Old 01-29-2011, 09:06 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,311 times
1. The Bible does not promote slavery, rather it deals with issues like slavery as it was a wide social occurence. Indentured Servants (people who could not afford to pay their debt and so worked for those they owed) were quite common back then and the Bible teaches how we are to respect and love our fellow man, slaves alike.

2. Joel has approached this issue in the most respectful way possible. He has pointed out that homosexuality is a sin, like many other sins. He does not judge people, he points out these things that break down our relationship with God.

Some people will not accept this as they do not accept Gods will, rather they promote their own will above that of God. It is one thing to sin and fall short of the glory of God, we all do and we are forgiven for our errors in past, present, and future when we accept Christ. Christ however teaches a valuable lesson about following him. That is, if we place our own desire to sin above that of seeking to follow God by promoting our sin as accepted, then we do not follow God and Christ never knew us.

Some need to ask yourself if you are following your own desires or that of God when you pick and choose his commandments and serve those desires above that of God. Are you following God or are you following man?

As for those who are suddenly angry at Joel for speaking God's word:

Quote:
Matthew 5:10-12 (NKJV) Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 "Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. 12 "Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
1. The Bible does not promote slavery, rather it deals with issues like slavery as it was a wide social occurence. Indentured Servants (people who could not afford to pay their debt and so worked for those they owed) were quite common back then and the Bible teaches how we are to respect and love our fellow man, slaves alike.

2. Joel has approached this issue in the most respectful way possible. He has pointed out that homosexuality is a sin, like many other sins. He does not judge people, he points out these things that break down our relationship with God.

Some people will not accept this as they do not accept Gods will, rather they promote their own will above that of God. It is one thing to sin and fall short of the glory of God, we all do and we are forgiven for our errors in past, present, and future when we accept Christ. Christ however teaches a valuable lesson about following him. That is, if we place our own desire to sin above that of seeking to follow God by promoting our sin as accepted, then we do not follow God and Christ never knew us.

Some need to ask yourself if you are following your own desires or that of God when you pick and choose his commandments and serve those desires above that of God. Are you following God or are you following man?

As for those who are suddenly angry at Joel for speaking God's word:
1. However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

You cannot parse which passages you're going to treat in historical context and which you're going to treat as "God's will" today. This quote is a clear directive of what people may or may not do. Passages of this nature were used regularly to defend and justify slavery in the United States just as passages are used today to justify and defend bigotry against homosexuals today. So, obviously your interpretation of God's will changes with the times and has been proven to be morally reprehensible in the past.

2. You, who talk endlessly about your alleged scientific "proof" that global warming is a hoax, are now claiming to know "God's will"?

Hilarious, kid. Hiliarious. For the record - the God I have experienced has no problem with the natural sexuality of the people s/he created. Check yourself to see whether you're just using a book to justify your own desires and bigotries.

Last edited by Bluefly; 01-29-2011 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-29-2011, 09:30 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
This!

What really gets me are the people who pick and choose what to believe in the Bible and what not to. I laugh heartily whenever I see someone condemning homosexuality while wearing polyester, eating cheeseburgers... and the biggest thing of them all: working on the Sabbath! *cue lightning!!!!!*
When the Bible is used as a weapon, it is a double edged sword to which will hold the one who judges another accountable to the very thing they use to condemn others.

There is a difference between pointing out sin and judging the person of the sin. One we are tasked with as fellow Christians, the other is for only God.

A couple of points though about your mention. Many of the things you mention require more reading as there is a reason to which the disciples and Jesus explain concerning the old laws, his fulfillment of them and that to which you seem to be referring to as "sin".

For instance, working on the sabbath. When Christ came, the old laws were fulfilled, man had lived by the laws and through the laws he was condemned to sin for the sake of the law. Christ came and freed us from our slavery to the law and to which we live by grace (read Romans as Paul discusses the significance of the old law and the new law and our relation to it in grace).

Here is a link concerning the Sabbath and why it is not what you may be suggesting concerning hypocrisy.

What Do the Scriptures Say About the Sabbath? | Grace Communion International

I thought this link did a good job of explaining some key things about the difference between the old covenant and the new one through Christ. It also goes into detail concerning the Sabbath. For instance, if we are to accept that one who works on the sabbath is there by breaking the commandments and sinning against God, then one must also condemn Christ (as the Pharisees attempted to) for his works on the Sabbath (healing, his disciples gathering food to eat on the sabbath, etc...) and Christ lived by the old laws when he came to fulfill them and did so perfectly without sin.

There is a lot of things about the Bible to learn and if we use them as a means to judge others, then also shall we be judged. That does not mean we are free to sin and promote it, rather that we are no longer measured in death by the old covenant, we live in life through the new in Christ.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:34 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
The Bible was written by man, which makes it subject to all the weaknesses, follies, absurdities, and errant ways of man.

Last edited by burdell; 01-29-2011 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies