Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 06:29 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Or yet another pastor who continues the time "honoured" tradition of cherry-picking a handful of ancient Biblical verses out of their original cultural contexts to support his own prejudice.

Temples to ancient Canaanite or Roman fertility gods, and the sacred male and female temple prostitutes who practiced ritual sex to worship the fertility gods haven't existed for a long time. (qadesh)

The ancient custom of men raping male strangers to humiliate them still exists (think prisons), but this is something that has always been done more by heterosexual men than homosexual men.

There is nothing in the biblical texts that relates to modern gay men and women. Despite some modern translations incorrectly using the word homosexuals or homosexuality in some verses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyboopster View Post
So, the more ancient something is, the less valid? Please don't tell me you believe in evolution, then. A lot of the so-called evidence for that dates back millions of years, they say, as opposed to just a few thousand.
Are you reading impaired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 06:41 AM

134 posts, read 127,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
This is what I say to homophobic bigots that try to control what is on TV and news stands: If you don't like it, change the channel, don't buy it. I'm not buying his bigoted beliefs. Therefore, if I see him on TV, I will surely be changing the channel. His mindset will die with the older generation anyway!
Why is it that every time a person disagrees with the gay lifestyle we are automatically labeled as bigots or homophobic? Is that the liberal excuse for every time as person disagrees with them?

Pathetic, indeed that liberals always resort to childish name calling.

Are people who are against marijuana legalization "bigots"? Are people who are pro life "bigots" as well? This is getting ridiculous.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:42 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
I never did like Paul.
Paul thought it shameful/degrading/unnatural for men to wear their hair long. 1 Corinthians 11:14

Guess who gets depicted with long hair and a beard all the time?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:46 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeltCrystal View Post
Why is it that every time a person disagrees with the gay lifestyle we are automatically labeled as bigots or homophobic? Is that the liberal excuse for every time as person disagrees with them?

Are people who are against marijuana legalization "bigots"? Are people who are pro life "bigots" as well? This is getting ridiculous.
It's because that isn't the politically correct thing to do...

I saw Joel Osteen once live...he was the best-he doesn't believe that God is a cruel hateful entity-he believes that he loves us but hates the sin...because of him I started returning to church and trying to become a better person-but because he answered a question honestly he is getting backlash for it...makes me like him even more-

Honesty, what a concept

Old 01-30-2011, 06:57 AM

270 posts, read 522,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Are you reading impaired?
You're gonna have to do better than referring to the Bible as ancient. I'm actually an excellent reader.

Sincerely,

Pollyanna

Old 01-30-2011, 07:43 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeltCrystal View Post

It has nothing to do with liberals. Many libertarians and fiscal conservatives support homosexuality and many social conservatives are homosexuals who have been mistakenly taught that who they are is a sin, so they oppress it or let it manifest in dangerous ways.

The difference between marijuana and abortion is they do not embody the core beings of who people are, with a society determined to oppress their ability to love the people their heart compells them to love or the ability to express that love in the same way that heterosexuals are allowed to express it.

It is more akin to the people who thought / think interracial relationships are wrong or women are inferior because the Bible tells them to believe that or blacks shouldn't have equal rights. These are all manifestations of bigotry, so, yes, people who are biased against any segment of the population for simply being and acting as their full manifestation are, in fact, bigots. They are also standing in the way of fulfilling our promise of liberty and freedom in this country.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyboopster View Post
So, the more ancient something is, the less valid? Please don't tell me you believe in evolution, then. A lot of the so-called evidence for that dates back millions of years, they say, as opposed to just a few thousand.
I've seen some horrifically illogical and misleading arguments on here, but this one might be nominated for the worst yet.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:49 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
The bible isn't ancient, the bible absolutely means the same today that it always has.

Scrolling through the past couple of pages of this thread, there is more effort put out by those who don't believe trying to argue, put down others etc.......GOD bless ya'll, I hope that you find peace with GOD in your life. Life is never easy but with GOD it can make tough times easier and struggles easier to bear.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
The bible isn't ancient, the bible absolutely means the same today that it always has.

Scrolling through the past couple of pages of this thread, there is more effort put out by those who don't believe trying to argue, put down others etc.......GOD bless ya'll, I hope that you find peace with GOD in your life. Life is never easy but with GOD it can make tough times easier and struggles easier to bear.
I think if you studied the Bible outside of a biased perspective you would realize that you are incorrect. Just study how the texts were compiled, which power-hungry figures voted on the books to be included and excluded, which other power-hungry figures rewrote passages on purpose or ignorantly to alter core meanings, or language translations made, perhaps with the best of intentions, but from a very limited worldview so as to completely alter the original meaning.

I mean, people use a "version" of the Bible (King James) written well over a thousand years after Jesus lived! Absurd to think we can just keep making new versions and still ascribe them as the word of God.

No. If people are going to cherry pick one religion out of the thousands on this planet to be the "one true" one, and then use that very subjective selection to oppress a segment of the population based only on their beliefs, it is important for those of us above that fray to point out the inconsistencies in their beliefs so we can overcome this bigotry against homosexuals and truly live in God's image.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:00 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post

Not everyone who disagrees with your view is a non-believer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies