Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 12:37 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times

Advertisements

Yellow Pages Association fights Seattle's new opt-out rules - Local News - Seattle, WA - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41849197 - broken link)

“All we're saying is, if an individual says ‘I don't want to dump what I perceive as trash on my front porch’, you can't do that. You need to obey, to listen to my personal privacy issues," said O’Brien.
O'Brien said one reason he is so passionate about this issue is it costs the city $350,000 per year to recycle the unwanted yellow pages.
But the city has a legal fight on its hands.
The Yellow Pages Association calls the city's rules unconstitutional, saying it violates the First Amendment because Yellow Pages are protected speech. It’s taken the matter to federal court.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 12:40 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
So, if I don't want something, they're going to force me to take it... and it will cost to have it recycled?
Why bother printing that many in the first place?
Why not ask subscribers if they want one, and if they say no, don't print one for them?

Old 03-01-2011, 12:42 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times
The Yellow Pages should go gracefully the way of the dinosaurs instead of kicking and screaming

Old 03-01-2011, 12:46 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Yellow Pages Association fights Seattle's new opt-out rules - Local News - Seattle, WA - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41849197 - broken link)

“All we're saying is, if an individual says ‘I don't want to dump what I perceive as trash on my front porch’, you can't do that. You need to obey, to listen to my personal privacy issues," said O’Brien.
O'Brien said one reason he is so passionate about this issue is it costs the city $350,000 per year to recycle the unwanted yellow pages.
The Yellow Pages Association calls the city's rules unconstitutional, saying it violates the First Amendment because Yellow Pages are protected speech. It’s taken the matter to federal court.

Another useless lawsuit.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:48 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Ads in phone books are very expensive.

To keep business buying ads the have to show where they pass out large numbers of books.

When I check on our business advertising, more people tell us they got our number from the phone book.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:27 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

I don't consider my front porch to be your entitlement to exercise rights. Yell on your own porch all you want but keep off mine.

That pricetag on the door of a city seems rather high. Recycled material is supposed to be in demand fetching a decent price. I think they could find a better means of at very least having the program pay for itself, at best, realizing profit to diminish taxes, or outright privatize. These sorts of things are ideal candidates for privatization that many would agree it's best government let itself off the hook about. The government & activists advocating for recycling have done their work encouraging citizens to be responsible. When privatized business abuse this work they'll only shoot themselves in the foot via mass resistance to compliance. The problem with capitalists healthy interface with our civilization is often their ADD commitment because commodities prices are manipulated by bigger fish. That's why modest government regulation/ oversight are necessary-- for stability.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So, if I don't want something, they're going to force me to take it... and it will cost to have it recycled?
Why bother printing that many in the first place?
Why not ask subscribers if they want one, and if they say no, don't print one for them?
In a digital age where yellow pages are readily available on the internet, seems to me they're in defense of a dinosaur & not rightfully defending/ promoting their core business product. Huddled together with timber/ paper mill lobbyists, they'll spin this to infinity and beyond. I think if someone starts new phone service they should have the option to elect into delivery of yellow pages and if they opt out ought to be left alone. That's fair to all concerned.

Paper/ timber/ ad men.... other sources of revenue streams need to be pursued. Lay off the lobbyist/ lawyers and get back to the drawing board. Your future health depends upon it.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:50 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,464,038 times
It is true. So many people use the internet these days they should publish the yellow pages every 3 years and for the other years just send out a supplement of new businesses who aren't listed in it. This thread is giving me even more reason not to renew my yellow pages listing for this coming year. Besides, the company that handles the yellow pages provides terrible service. They billed me for a full year for an out of state directory I was supposed to be in and it turned out the ad never made it to the BOOK! I finally figured out they were ripping me off. It was a part time job just to keep them honest. I also had MAJOR issues with the on-line SuperPages.com. They messed up my phone number if you can believe it (and in the fine print, they don't even guarantee you a refund if they use the wrong number). Imagine!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Another useless lawsuit.
Yep but I'd rather not see tort reform shut them down. I'd like us all to recognize philosophically that the law is not there to win grace and favor to tilt wrongfully at one another, but to remind both parties what a fair contractual agreement resembles. A healthy contract benefits both parties, an ill contract erodes both parties. Too many americans are animated at one another as predators under the guise of legitimate business.

This same argument applies to marriage, and the way couples split far before formalized proceedings for divorce are engaged. They are animated as predators at one another and lost sight of the higher calling that is marriage. That is my defense of marriage. Not gay bashing, man bashing, or woman bashing. Psychological harm inflicted by either party isn't anything that can be tangibly quantifiable in the law but it's expressed in the form of failure to thrive (children, husband, or wife). If I could raise the bar of our civilization I'd design a course in psychological self defense for the masses. Therein lies the seeds of undoing and ill self esteem spreading like cancer in the minds of citizens.

Welp, that's my 2 cents toward world peace & greater good of humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies