Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:42 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
To make the Big Bucks, at least according to the right-wingers here. Just don't be too disappointed when that does not turn out to be the case.
Casper
I'm certain that I qualify in your minds little box as a "right winger" (lol) so I feel qualified to answer and dispute your assertion that I think teachers make "Big Bucks"

But I do think SunnyDays is correct-the mind set for teachers has changed over the years and many liberals have flooded the system. And they do want the protection of a union contract.

I certainly wouldn't classify a teachers income as "big bucks" but they are making more than they would if they weren't union. This is a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 09:59 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I always thought that most teacher were level headed and wanted to teach.

Now seeing how they have acted recently I believe most of them are just greedy selfish people who want to put the kids last and themselves first.

A new generation of liberal minded teachers over the past 10-15 years is what is changing the dynamic.

The old school teacher would not walk on their students, this new liberal minded teachers will walk on top of the kids to get their greedy hand on something.
How funny. Do you realize that in the past 10 years, many high school teachers have come from private industry? They are not college educated to be teachers. They are former business people who have lost their jobs and have sought refuge in the classroom. My former high school has not hired a traditionally trained first year math or science teacher in years. Why? Because young people smart enough to get math/science degrees don't want to become teachers. Geez, I wonder why...

Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,857,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would like to know how many of you would invest the money and time to become and remain a public school teacher even if you disregarded the current animosity directed at the Teachers of wisconsin?
There's no animosity directed at the teachers of WI, there's animosity directed at the labor unions they choose to join. Lefties like you continue to try to redirect the subject and make it out to be a fight against teachers or "animosity towards education" which simply isn't the case. People are fed up with public labor unions and these union members just happen to be teachers. If they were public works employees collecting trash would we have animosity towards trash cans? No of course not, you're just trying to invoke a "think of the children" reply which isn't working, people aren't buying that crap anymore. There are millions of kids being taught all over the US by non-union teachers.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:08 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
To make the Big Bucks, at least according to the right-wingers here. Just don't be too disappointed when that does not turn out to be the case.
Casper
You can not answer one post without attacking the right.
The pay is not bad since its 9 months of work.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:12 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would like to know how many of you would invest the money and time to become and remain a public school teacher even if you disregarded the current animosity directed at the Teachers of wisconsin?

I was a Police Officer for 30 years, and I can tell you, I do not have the patience to be a teacher.

Kudos to teachers for resisting the impulse to put little Johnny's (or Janey's) head through a wall.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
You can not answer one post without attacking the right.
The pay is not bad since its 9 months of work.

You do know that most teachers are not paid for the summer, unless they work summer school.

Summer break is sans pay.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:20 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
You do know that most teachers are not paid for the summer, unless they work summer school.

Summer break is sans pay.
Well I would hope not! lol. Does a lawyer get payed for taking the summer off?

Of course we are aware that most teachers are not payed for summer unless they work!

I want to know what career gets payed for taking the summer off? I want that job!

I would assume before a person decided to pursue a degree in education that they realize it is a 9-10 month job and they would need to take this into consideration in career selection. This is why a lot of females chose teaching as a career-so they can have summers off with their children.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Well I would hope not! lol. Does a lawyer get payed for taking the summer off?

Of course we are aware that most teachers are not payed for summer unless they work!

I want to know what career gets payed for taking the summer off? I want that job!

I would assume before a person decided to pursue a degree in education that they realize it is a 9-10 month job and they would need to take this into consideration in career selection. This is why a lot of females chose teaching as a career-so they can have summers off with their children.

You would be surprised how many people think teachers get paid for summer vaca.
IMHO, teachers don't get paid half of what they are worth.

Actually, I think closing the schools for the summer is archaic, and hearkens back to when most farmed for a living. I would propose that students get a semester off, and get to choose which one.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:38 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
I posted the reasons I would never be a teacher in another thread but here they are again:

1. For the level of qualifications required the money is rotten

2. You have to put up with a bunch of spotty, immature and ungrateful children many of whom do not want to learn and most of which are of average intelligence at best.

3. You have to put up with the parents of those children. The parents usually believe that their children are of above average intelligence, generally well behaved and that any inadequacies in their ability to learn are your fault. They also expect you to be a baby-sitter for their children, teach them social and behavioral skills in addition to academic ones but will never back you up in a dispute.

4. Finally, you are a political football to be kicked about by administrators and mediocre politicians looking for cheap soundbites. You are generally derided by the public and can never count on their support when it comes to getting the means to do your job properly.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I posted the reasons I would never be a teacher in another thread but here they are again:

1. For the level of qualifications required the money is rotten

2. You have to put up with a bunch of spotty, immature and ungrateful children many of whom do not want to learn and most of which are of average intelligence at best.

3. You have to put up with the parents of those children. The parents usually believe that their children are of above average intelligence, generally well behaved and that any inadequacies in their ability to learn are your fault. They also expect you to be a baby-sitter for their children, teach them social and behavioral skills in addition to academic ones but will never back you up in a dispute.

4. Finally, you are a political football to be kicked about by administrators and mediocre politicians looking for cheap soundbites. You are generally derided by the public and can never count on their support when it comes to getting the means to do your job properly.

Tried to rep you for that one, but couldn't. You hit the nail on the head, big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies