Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:53 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Wow! They're down to only 7 months now??? I thought they worked nine months (not factoring in the time they spent before and after the school years starts, since that obviously isn't real work)? And only working 35 hours per week total, including prep time, after school work, meetings, etc? Where do I sign up???

Based on what you've told me, I must hypothesize that pretty soon all public school teachers will only be working three months out of the year and making $75K/year (obviously all take home with the huge tax write offs they get), plus another $75K a year in health care and pension benefits (again, all factored as take home pay).

This is such a great deal!!!

Am I wrong, or do you simply not like what I wrote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 09:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Republicans are always hysterically funny when it comes to teachers. Admit it. The only reason Republicans don't like teachers is because most do not vote Republican. That's the honest truth. It isn't about anything else but votes.
I dont believe one Republican here has criticized a teacher..
Quote:
The truth is that teaching is hard as hell. Most Republicans would last about an hour in a typical classroom if that.
So now you think all teachers are Democrats? Thats a pretty far out statement.. Do you have anything to substantiate it, or should we just take your word for it..
Quote:
If teachers get time off they need it to recover from the rigors of teaching. Giving five presentations a day, working on lesson plans and then spending hours grading homework is exhausting work.
Most people have exhausting work.. Stop pretending they are any different
Quote:
The other truth that Republicans oppose teachers not because they want public schools to be better but because they want to dismantle them.
No one has many that claim either.. Are you just making this up as you go along?
Quote:
The ideal Republican woman should be at home homeschooling her children. If she can't do that then the Republicans want her to send her children to church run schools on the public dime.
You are just being ridiculous.. I'm agnostic, I wouldnt send my kids to a catholic school if it was free. Some Republicans want church run schools to be on a voucher system, but how is that any different than what we have now?
Quote:
It's that simple. Worse. It's that sad.
Whats even sadder is that you just blanket stated half of america into one big pot which isnt even close to accurate.. Continue with your hatred...

Old 03-06-2011, 09:59 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
$41K isnt bad money, especially if you have 2 people bringing that in..
For a starting salary, it's OK. For after 20 years of service, it sucks.

In S. FL, $41k just barely pays for the essentials.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
They weren't comparing salary to salary, they were comparing comments made about cutting middle class teacher's salaries to comments made about cutting CEO pay for bailed out companies.
Its like a childish little rant from the left who cant comprehend the difference between a CEO and a teacher..
Quote:
They were also comparing comments about how $100,000 combined salary for two married teachers is wealthy in the debate over teachers to comments that $250,000 is almost poverty in the debate over the tax cuts.
And? $100K salary for two teachers is decent pay.. No one said they were wealthy, they said they should see a paycut to their "ample" $50K a year salary because they are GOVERNMENT employees.. This is true.. A $50K a year salary is "ample" and as a government employee, if you are cutting the size of government, salaries would obviously be included..

And they said that $250,000 is "not rich", and "close to poverty" FOR CEO's.. $250,000 is indeed "not rich".. and for a CEO is IS poverty..

The statements are FACTUALLY TRUE.. You can pretend that they arent but that doesnt mean that they are false.

Even Obamas "pay czar" had to conceed that they couldnt find a CEO qualified to run GM for $250,000 and they had to double the pay.. What CEO would take a pay cut of millions of dollars to run a business?

I can tell you that my mother is old at 50, but my grandmother is young at 70, (not their real ages) both would be true if you compare them to other indivuals of my age and look at the age of their parents and grandparents..

You cant take relatively out of the equation without just playing stupid.. Games like this is worthy of comedy channel.. They dumb down to the lowest common denominator. I've been through this before on this very same thread and I'm not about ready to go through it again. If you dont understand that pays are relative to the supply/demand of the workforce, then I ask you to go to all of your neighbors, find out who has the lowest possible paying job, and I challenge you to go into work tomorrow and tell them you want a pay cut equal to your porrest neighbors. After all, according to you, people shouldnt be paid different...

Old 03-06-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
For a starting salary, it's OK. For after 20 years of service, it sucks.

In S. FL, $41k just barely pays for the essentials.
I wouldnt work for $41K, but there are lots of people with 50 year careers earning 1/2 of that..

Again, I'm not saying you are overpaid, but with 2 incomes of $41K, thats $82K a year.. not too shabby for most american families..

Old 03-06-2011, 10:08 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Again, I'm not saying you are overpaid, but with 2 incomes of $41K, thats $82K a year.. not too shabby for most american families..
Really ,because many conservatives and Fox News personalities were claiming that 3 times that amount was nothing.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyspencer View Post
You are so off the mark it's not even funny. It's actually because teachers are paid by tax payers to indoctrinate youth with liberal propaganda. It's part of the liberal ideology.
Is that why the right despises teachers and anyone with an form of education.

We don't need them fancy books and big words.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Really ,because many conservatives and Fox News personalities were claiming that 3 times that amount was nothing.
3 times that for CEO's is nothing.. Again, supply and demand of qualified individuals able to do the job needs to be taken into account..

Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Its like a childish little rant from the left who cant comprehend the difference between a CEO and a teacher..

And? $100K salary for two teachers is decent pay.. No one said they were wealthy, they said they should see a paycut to their "ample" $50K a year salary because they are GOVERNMENT employees.. This is true.. A $50K a year salary is "ample" and as a government employee, if you are cutting the size of government, salaries would obviously be included..

And they said that $250,000 is "not rich", and "close to poverty" FOR CEO's.. $250,000 is indeed "not rich".. and for a CEO is IS poverty..

The statements are FACTUALLY TRUE.. You can pretend that they arent but that doesnt mean that they are false.

Even Obamas "pay czar" had to conceed that they couldnt find a CEO qualified to run GM for $250,000 and they had to double the pay.. What CEO would take a pay cut of millions of dollars to run a business?

I can tell you that my mother is old at 50, but my grandmother is young at 70, (not their real ages) both would be true if you compare them to other indivuals of my age and look at the age of their parents and grandparents..

You cant take relatively out of the equation without just playing stupid.. Games like this is worthy of comedy channel.. They dumb down to the lowest common denominator. I've been through this before on this very same thread and I'm not about ready to go through it again. If you dont understand that pays are relative to the supply/demand of the workforce, then I ask you to go to all of your neighbors, find out who has the lowest possible paying job, and I challenge you to go into work tomorrow and tell them you want a pay cut equal to your porrest neighbors. After all, according to you, people shouldnt be paid different...

Compared to other CEO $250,000 isn't much, but $250,000 isn't poverty for anyone. Regardless no mention of CEO's in the $250,000 is almost poverty comment.....

Old 03-06-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Compared to other CEO $250,000 isn't much, but $250,000 isn't poverty for anyone. Regardless no mention of CEO's in the $250,000 is almost poverty comment.....
I already said that I didnt agree with the statement about $250,000 being "poverty".. I clearly said it was for "CEO"s..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies