Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Mostly because this is an unfunded mandate on states.
With budget problems they just cannot afford the equipment.

Based on the fear mongering though..all our terrorist problems will be solved with REAL ID.

Lawmakers spar over REAL ID extension - The Hill's Hillicon Valley
“Until REAL ID is fully implemented, terrorists will continue to exploit this vulnerability to accomplish heinous purposes,"

We're going back in time to America 1937 when Italians, Germans, etc had to "register" and show their papers. Others were not so lucky and ended up in "internment camps" for Germans, Italians, Japanese.

We're returning to the police state mentality the US had during WWI and WWII.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_American_internment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian...can_internment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanes...can_internment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 09:27 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Mostly because this is an unfunded mandate on states.
With budget problems they just cannot afford the equipment.

Based on the fear mongering though..all our terrorist problems will be solved with REAL ID.

Lawmakers spar over REAL ID extension - The Hill's Hillicon Valley
“Until REAL ID is fully implemented, terrorists will continue to exploit this vulnerability to accomplish heinous purposes,"

We're going back in time to America 1937 when Italians, Germans, etc had to "register" and show their papers. Others were not so lucky and ended up in "internment camps" for Germans, Italians, Japanese.

We're returning to the police state mentality the US had during WWI and WWII.
German American internment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Italian American internment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Japanese American internment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I find it ridiculous to think having one ID for ALL Americans is any sort police state tactic. In fact I find the ID idea a good one, one document you can show no matter what state you are in to prove who your are, I would go further and do the same with drivers licences, on US drivers licence, why on earth do we have seperate DLs, no other country that I know of does this, maybe because they all consider the dea as ludicrous. Let me also remind you that if a Law Enforcement Officer asks you for some id today you can be detained if you cannot produce any, especially if you match the description of anyone they are actively looking for.
Casper

Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I find it ridiculous to think having one ID for ALL Americans is any sort police state tactic. In fact I find the ID idea a good one, one document you can show no matter what state you are in to prove who your are, I would go further and do the same with drivers licences, on US drivers licence, why on earth do we have seperate DLs, no other country that I know of does this, maybe because they all consider the dea as ludicrous. Let me also remind you that if a Law Enforcement Officer asks you for some id today you can be detained if you cannot produce any, especially if you match the description of anyone they are actively looking for.
Casper
It may not be the ID itself but more about the biometrics in that card.

Show ID..unless of course you are voting. Then it becomes discriminatory.

Casper..the REAL ID is the driver license. These are the rules governing issuance of driver license/personal ID.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 AM

Real ID Act of 2005: Summary
REAL ID Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The head of DHS is against this program.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:40 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
With out knowing about it, it's a good idea if you add in any carry permit and carry is legal in all states. One ID does it for everything.

If it contains certain personal ID info that isn't any of the govt bee's wax, then I am against it.

Oh year i want mine totally water proof. I hate drivers lis that crack and then later get wet, which curls up the ID content inside the laminate.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:46 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I, too, am totally against this program!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:53 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,464,208 times
A bigger police state is necessary to protect us from the terrorists...and just never you mind we already have immigration laws that go unenforced.

And the expense? no problem Ben will just print more funny money to pay for the bureaucracy.,

Old 03-05-2011, 11:04 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Casper
It is if it is an RFID Radio Frequency ID where they can track with giant GPS trackers where everyone is every time they leave their house and take their wallet with them IT SURE IS. Some automobile license plates have them already in some states. Obviously they will know when you are at home too.

Do you want Homeland Security to know where you are 24/7???? Maybe they will decide to tell everyone in X neighborhood there was a so called "terrorist" reported in their neighborhood so for everyone's "protection" and "safety" they are going to barge into your home and search your home for terrorists. Thanks to the lovely Patriot Act, they can do that now if they so please.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:14 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
It is if it is an RFID Radio Frequency ID where they can track with giant GPS trackers where everyone is every time they leave their house and take their wallet with them IT SURE IS. Some automobile license plates have them already in some states. Obviously they will know when you are at home too.

Do you want Homeland Security to know where you are 24/7???? Maybe they will decide to tell everyone in X neighborhood there was a so called "terrorist" reported in their neighborhood so for everyone's "protection" and "safety" they are going to barge into your home and search your home for terrorists. Thanks to the lovely Patriot Act, they can do that now if they so please.
You are responding to person who thinks it's a good idea for all the same reasons we think it's bad.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:22 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You are responding to person who thinks it's a good idea for all the same reasons we think it's bad.
I may never agree with you about anything else again, but this time I do. I think the National ID card is a horrendous idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies