Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:24 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
LOL....that might come in handy when the UFO's invade

Hey...unless you are down in the bunker with your finger on the thumper.....all those guns are not going to keep you safe. It amazes me how guns give people a false sense of security. Yes, there are certain cituations where they can save your azz......but most people out to do you harm are not going to arrive in yo bunker while yo finger is on the thumper......lol. They will wait until they have the element of surprise and I don't care if you have a surface to air missle launcher on you.....if a bad man catches you and he already has his gun out.....any move you make will be lights out for you.
I'll take my chances. Home*|*The Armed Citizen compiles news stories from all over the country where average people have fought back against the bad guys and won. Most bad guys don't even think far enough ahead to consider that their intended target might be armed. The surprise is just as big on them when they are staring down the barrel of a gun.

As far as getting the drop on me in my house, I have 3 cats that alert me to any noise outside. I have motion activated lights with an audible inside alert. Finally I have a very nice alarm system with multiple layers of protection. I know when anyone is within 20 feet of my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I never worried a bit about space alliens, zombies, or bad guys that hold a gun sideways yet

I worry about rabid critters, garden varmints, up set mama bears with cubs, and city slicks gone to the country for playin bad boy games. The latter have sometimes found themselves taking an unexpected hike a few miles to meet the nice Chief of Police, others are less happy, and found needing a rather large band aid. If this non-sence keeps up, I just might start feeding the wild life with them.

I wonder how it feels to be busted and marched the cops by a old coot with a single shot black powda rifle, being told the whole march, that the ball is so powerfull it will pass right thru all 3 bodies, dragging bits of flesh and bone with it. By the time that ball gets the last guy, it's a toxic waste weapon. All I know is 1 of those guys was wanting down on his knees to puke, but i told him he could do his puking in line standing up.

Hunters are not very fussy about a little blood and guts...
.................................................. ........................
Robert, cats? 3 cats?? What kinda' cats warn you?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:31 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Robert, cats? 3 cats?? What kinda' cats warn you?
The one that warns me of outside "threats" is an Abyssinian/tabby mix. She woke me up a few weeks ago when 4 deer passed through my back yard.

I have a regular, orange tabby that will growl when there are unusual sounds in the house. For example, we left the alarm off one evening when my mother-in-law was stopping by. When the cat heard the back door open (we didn't), he started growling and turned toward the back of the house. A few seconds later, my MIL announced herself.

Finally, my ragdoll will attack everyone in the house except me and my wife.

I did post that as a kind of humorous story since a lot of people talk about their guard dogs. I rely on redundant alert systems in my alarm in real life.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:43 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I can sorta see this, but it isn't common.

I had a gray long hair, my claims was Purrsian. 2 incidents were with the same stupid dog a GS. That cat didn't take no guff from nuthing. The dig chased him up an apple tree, and the cat came right back down on the dogs face. I was just lucky to see that, as was the dogs owner.

Same dog did that once more but changed the location. This time it was under barn stairs and I only heard the yelping. The dog got smarter.

The last was hearing the cat yoweling, and when my wife and I looked to see why the cat was dancing with a red fox going round and round in loose circles.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Our big ol tabby tom warned me once at 3 am some dude looking into the girl's next door bedroom windows. When he saw me standing in the upstairs window (armed) he bugged out. That cat don't like people acting weird.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:11 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
It is a sad day. I have found out there arent enough guns for every citizen....

we all have two hands....

maybe one day we will get there....

Old 03-10-2011, 04:12 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
One of the neatest defense guns I ever saw (I could not afford to buy it at the time) was a double bbl 1" bore cap lock smooth bore pistol. Loaded with a couple of ounces of buckshot in each bbl it would stop a grizzly bear let alone some unfortunate thug. Unitil I make or buy such a beast I will have to make do what what I already have.

NHLiberal.
well the .454 revolverm is decent for bear protection in .454 Hunter loads. The 350 grain bullet has a .250 SD and is driven at a MV of 1300 fps and 1351 ft. lbs. ME.

The problem is that very few outdoorsmen who are not dedicated handgun hunters are willing to carry an outsize .454 handgun. Similarly, very few shooters can control the recoil and muzzle blast of a .454. For the tiny minority who don't mind the size, weight, muzzle blast and recoil, the .454 is probably the optimum handgun caliber for protection against large predators, due to its combination of bullet diameter, sectional density and energy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eFfz...&tracker=False
this is what you would use in case of grizzly bear attack for self defense if you don't have time to grab your hunting rifle i mean it is made for 1100 lbs bears. this is for is not a home self defense weapon it is when you are hiking in the yukon or alaska and a bear is going to eat you.

most hunters here in B.C., Canada still rely on the .44 magnum for a backup though

Old 03-10-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Greg I don't recall a thing in 1" bore like that, but i do another gun I can't recall the name off. I forget the bore on that but it is bigger than 1/2 "

What ever it is, it is a replica, not a repro I think, of a cap lock African last ditch game getter. In other words if you wounded a big man eatter, and had to time to reload you could beg off life if you got lucky.

If the bad guy you pointed a rig like that at didn't need Depends, and there was just one bad guy... well the idea would work.

These days a more modern gun would be better for SD, and with a rnd the cops use.
I still think a 12 guage shotgun is the best home defense weapon
I like the mossberg 590 for home defense this video is pretty decent

Old 03-10-2011, 04:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUZoC...&tracker=False

Old 03-13-2011, 08:04 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,095 times
Guns and the profit motive have done more to 'uplift the downtrodden' than a million democrat daydreams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies