Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:20 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,530,254 times

Advertisements

everyone knows this

why do you think Nassau county here in NY, just enstalled 100 redlight camera's...

traffic tickets are a cash cow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,780,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
There has always been an argument in the city forums about police departments writing tickets to generate revenue, and you have people who defend it, and people who detest it. The defenders usually say it is for safety, and they want police to ticket "dangerous" drivers.

The problem is that they don't ticket dangerous drivers. They ticket speeders.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:32 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,081,126 times
Too bad they can't monetize illegal immigration that way to earn some money and actually enforce the law as it is written.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,099,868 times
Consistantly cited by AAA as the biggest money making speed trap in Florida, a small town called Waldo on U.S. 301 [18 miles n/e of Gainesville]Speed limit drops from 55 to 45 to 35 within a few thousand feet.
But actually the biggest cash cow for cities is revenue cameras on traffic lights. Politicians call them red light cameras for safety.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:52 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,222,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
So are red light cameras. As controversial as they are, they seem to bring in the bux.

I got caught in that red light camera 1 time, fought it in court and won because it did not let me get my due process.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:10 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,138,133 times
Quote:
When Houston introduced the cameras, the company operating them said it was all about safety, not about revenue. Fast forward to 2010, the citizens of Houston voted to do away with Red Light Cameras, and the City notified the comnpany that they were going to turn them off. Guess what the operator did? Yup, they are suing the City of Houston for something like 45 Million dollars.

Nah, it was not about money.

Hell no, it never is...Neither are speed traps.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,848,652 times
Quote:
There has always been an argument in the city forums about police departments writing tickets to generate revenue, and you have people who defend it, and people who detest it. The defenders usually say it is for safety, and they want police to ticket "dangerous" drivers.

So, now comes a state who needs the money that is going to pass a law to jack up the price of speeding below ten miles an hour above the speed limit, and then keep more of the coin by not reporting it to insurance companies.

If anyone ever wondered if tickets were issued for "protection", well here is one state who now admits is is solely a cash generating policy.

South Carolina Considers Alternate Penalties for Drivers Caught Going Slightly Above Speed Limit - FoxNews.com
It's not "soley" a cash generating policy. The #1 cause of accidents is too much speed, and speed limits force people to use less fuel too, since lower speeds improve MPG's. True, the government can't save us, but the reason for speed limits in the first place is tried and true.

Plus, this tax is 100% avoidable, just don't speed. And it's not like muncipalities are taking the cash and buying rosewood desks or city issued Merceedes; the money is going back into the public realm.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:33 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,125,837 times
Raise every roads speed limit by 10mph and then institute a no-tolerance policy. One mile over the limit and you get ticketed. How's that?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:59 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,175,754 times
Quote:

So, now comes a state who needs the money that is going to pass a law to jack up the price of speeding below ten miles an hour above the speed limit, and then keep more of the coin by not reporting it to insurance companies.

If anyone ever wondered if tickets were issued for "protection", well here is one state who now admits is is solely a cash generating policy.

South Carolina Considers Alternate Penalties for Drivers Caught Going Slightly Above Speed Limit - FoxNews.com
And? If you drive the posted speed limit, instead of looking for ways to intentionally break the law, you won't have a problem.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:03 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,073,393 times
I live in Oakland, CA. All in all I like this city but traffic enforcement is nonexistent. The roads here are a freaking free-for-all. Everyone knows there is no enforcement and drive accordingly. I too am guilty. When I cross the bridge into Alameda, I drive like a saint because I know that if I break the law, a SWAT team will descend upon me before I make it two blocks. Funny how that works. Every bridge into the city of Alameda is clearly marked that speed limits are strictly enforced and they're not joking around.
It's almost funny that when leaving Alameda across the 25 mph Park street bridge, engines rev and tires squeal just as they hit the blacktop on the Oakland side. The speed limit is still 25 but you'll be flattened if you don't at least make 50 within a block.

Oakland is a very dangerous place for pedestrians and bicyclists (drivers too) while Alameda is safe. So, while I realize that traffic tickets are a cash cow, it's quite evident that they also help to ensure public safety. It seems like a win-win to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies