Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:43 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,275,674 times

Advertisements

There has always been an argument in the city forums about police departments writing tickets to generate revenue, and you have people who defend it, and people who detest it. The defenders usually say it is for safety, and they want police to ticket "dangerous" drivers.

So, now comes a state who needs the money that is going to pass a law to jack up the price of speeding below ten miles an hour above the speed limit, and then keep more of the coin by not reporting it to insurance companies.

If anyone ever wondered if tickets were issued for "protection", well here is one state who now admits is is solely a cash generating policy.

South Carolina Considers Alternate Penalties for Drivers Caught Going Slightly Above Speed Limit - FoxNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 05:49 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
There has always been an argument in the city forums about police departments writing tickets to generate revenue, and you have people who defend it, and people who detest it. The defenders usually say it is for safety, and they want police to ticket "dangerous" drivers.

So, now comes a state who needs the money that is going to pass a law to jack up the price of speeding below ten miles an hour above the speed limit, and then keep more of the coin by not reporting it to insurance companies.

If anyone ever wondered if tickets were issued for "protection", well here is one state who now admits is is solely a cash generating policy.

South Carolina Considers Alternate Penalties for Drivers Caught Going Slightly Above Speed Limit - FoxNews.com

Hardly news here in cash-starved Michigan.

Last I heard the Michigan legislature was still debating a bill that would create strict guide lines for speed limits since so many cities have set up speed traps.

Yeah, here it is...

http://www.hamtramckreview.com/2010/...e-legislature/

Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Yeah, in Michigan we have a law called Super-Drunk driving. But hey, the state has to make money somehow, although I think the laws are fairly ridiculous, i'd rather have them make it in people driving drunk than raising taxes

Old 03-09-2011, 05:55 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post

So are red light cameras. As controversial as they are, they seem to bring in the bux.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:01 AM

Default Ha....

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
So are red light cameras. As controversial as they are, they seem to bring in the bux.
When Houston introduced the cameras, the company operating them said it was all about safety, not about revenue. Fast forward to 2010, the citizens of Houston voted to do away with Red Light Cameras, and the City notified the comnpany that they were going to turn them off. Guess what the operator did? Yup, they are suing the City of Houston for something like 45 Million dollars.

Nah, it was not about money.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:06 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yeah, in Michigan we have a law called Super-Drunk driving. But hey, the state has to make money somehow, although I think the laws are fairly ridiculous, i'd rather have them make it in people driving drunk than raising taxes

Apart from drinking and driving laws, this bill would crack down on abuses by cities setting speed limits far below what is justified by the road's design.

Lincoln Park, MI is a prime example. Fort Street is set at 35mph throughout the city, but when you get to Southgate, the same road picks up to a more reasonable 45mph. When you drive through Stinkin' Park at 35mph it feels like you're crawling, but that's the idea since they almost always have police vehicles timing traffic on both sides of Fort Street.

They'll write the ticket for five over no matter what the real speed was then hang the threat of points over your head until you pay the much more expensive non-moving violation they offer. The whole set up is a scam.

Stinkin' Park recently closed half their schools due to a budget crisis. Lots of people have lost or simply abandoned their homes leaving a huge budget shortfall in the city. The idea behind the proposed law is hard pressed Michigan drivers shouldn't have to make up city revenue just because they drove down the wrong street in a nearly bankrupt city.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:17 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,454,433 times
I'm the first one who thinks drivers should drive at a reasonable and safe rate of speed. However, here in DC, the speed limits are set sooo unreasonably low that it would take forever to get anywhere if you drove at the posted limits(usually 25 mph, even in areas of low density). Of course, they have photo cops taking pictures of drivers exceeding the limit..dont tell me that isnt about the cash.

Red light cameras scare me to death. Since I know where many of them are, I am extremely careful to avoid even getting into the intersection on caution. But wow, I have almost been rear ended almost every time I stop. When I lived in Baltimore, red light cameras were cash cows. In fact, it was proven in court that the company that operated these cameras actually shortened the yellow caution light to just a few seconds..thereby causing people who were already in the intersection to get photographed and ticketed.

It makes me furious that the State is using punative speed laws and red light cameras to up revenue. Figure out a more FAIR way to collect and leave the drivers alone.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
...It makes me furious that the State is using punative speed laws and red light cameras to up revenue. Figure out a more FAIR way to collect and leave the drivers alone.
Living within their means would be a good start. With a good sized family compared to most people (we have 4 kids), I have to think long and hard where to take the kids for Spring Break within a budget. I wish I could do what government entities do... just go all out and in First Class to Atlantis in the Bahamas then force my neighbors to chip in and pay for it later and threaten them if they complain, and don't pay up.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:43 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,454,433 times
You are SO right, HookTheBrotherUp! There is no fiscal responsibility by our leaders.

In DC, one of our counsilmen hit the news by leasing a hideously expensive SUV ...here is a news report on it.."
Several weeks after Kwame R. Brown was elected D.C. Council chairman in November, city officials were asked to order for him a "fully loaded" Lincoln Navigator L with a DVD entertainment system, power moonroof and polished aluminum wheels.
It had to be black - all black, inside and out - and it had to arrive in time for his inauguration Jan. 2, never mind the District's projected $400 million budget shortfall.
As it happened, the District was stuck paying for two Lincoln Navigator L's after the first arrived with a gray interior and Brown insisted on the black-on-black color scheme, touching off a scramble for the model he wanted. A car dealer ended up driving Brown's Lincoln from Coldwater, Mich., to the District on Dec. 29 - for an additional $1,500. The District cannot return the one with the gray interior until October. " So now, DC tax payers are paying $1,900 a month for this lease.

How many speeding tickets does the District have to issue to even cover a month's worth of his lease? Sickening.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:18 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,800 times
I posted this years ago.

New Rome speed trap
New Rome police had systematically taken advantage of the village's sudden drop (from 45 mph to 35 mph) in posted speed along the busy thoroughfare of West Broad Street to pull over thousands of motorists, raising nearly $400,000 gross annually from speeding tickets but primarily vehicle citations including trivial offenses such as dusty taillights and improperly tinted windows. Nearly all of this money was funneled back into the police force, which almost exclusively dealt with traffic violations and so essentially existed to fund itself. The 60-resident village had as many as 14 policemen (all part-time), with the Village Council wanting more.

New Rome, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New Rome cops are persistent, and they have a lot of time to make sure a cited driver doesn't just drive off and toss the ticket. Once stopped, drivers are routinely asked where they work. Fail to pay the fine on time, and a New Rome cop or two may appear at your work place the day after, handcuff you in front of the boss, and haul you off for payment discussions.

Town Without Pity - Feature
After 62 years of feeding off traffic-ticket money, the mean-spirited village of New Rome, Ohio, faces an attempt to vote it into extinction.

".. who's going to believe that in this day and age a family clan can still run a town? The makeup of the village council begins with Nancy Chapman, the wife of Charles Chapman, who had been mayor during the 1990s and ran the traffic court. The Chapmans' son and daughter, Charles Jr. and Alisa Gibbs, have been on the council.."
Town Without Pity - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies