Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:15 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I haven't seen any lesser wages or ill treatment. What are you referring to, exactly?
#12 was a question to #11. #16 was the response/answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
It sounds like the reason to go to college and a top college at that is simply for connections.

While a class system may exist, is it possible that some corporations know the difference between a person who relies on the right connections and a person who learned for the sake of learning? Both kinds of people can exist in upper classes but have very different attitudes towards learning.
if i were a boss i'd know how to ask the most awesome interview questions. i'd never hire a bad apple. a lot corporate america's problems i feel can be solved if bosses just get better at reading people

Old 03-10-2011, 06:53 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
miss littlejohn (woman in the op's article) should heed your words. she thinks her hair could be the problem
I don't know her background. Also, discrimination does exist. One time I was told that I was not like the "others" while at a convention. After a few glasses of wine, the person simply stated that I was not like the "others", when probed a little bit the person stammered and finally said "like the other people like me." Obviously not skinny, short haired, male, average height, but Black. They then continued on when they noticed I held my composure. They said that "technically, I'm only half so I don't really count".

Since it was a potential client I simply excused myself to the restroom and came back to change the subject. This person was with a Fortune 1000 company which we had ties with.

Prejudice exists in corporate America. Thankfully I was seen as not being "like the others".

Old 03-10-2011, 06:55 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
It sounds like the reason to go to college and a top college at that is simply for connections.

While a class system may exist, is it possible that some corporations know the difference between a person who relies on the right connections and a person who learned for the sake of learning? Both kinds of people can exist in upper classes but have very different attitudes towards learning.
If you go into marketing or sales, would you hire the person who knows how to use connections or the passionate person who learned for the sake of learning? Most likely the person who knows how to use connections, since that's their job description.

It really depends on the field. I'd rather have a teacher that is passionate, but I would hire a salesman who knows how to use their connections.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I don't know her background.
well considering the article's headline, take a guess

Quote:
If you go into marketing or sales, would you hire the person who knows how to use connections or the passionate person who learned for the sake of learning?
the latter. internal marketing in a large firm does not require connections. it requires the ability to learn different aspects of different departments within your own company and often to serve as a middleman (a person who can clarify matters easily) between departments prone to tension and miscommunication, e.g.: sales and legal counsel. if a traditional marketing role emphasizes lots of connections, then yes, the well-connected candidate has a better shot in most cases, depending on the quality of the connections - the quality in some cases will be an 'unknown' (a gamble) unless sharp interview questions are asked or if the interviewer knows the industry inside and out

Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I don't know her background. Also, discrimination does exist. One time I was told that I was not like the "others" while at a convention. After a few glasses of wine, the person simply stated that I was not like the "others", when probed a little bit the person stammered and finally said "like the other people like me." Obviously not skinny, short haired, male, average height, but Black. They then continued on when they noticed I held my composure. They said that "technically, I'm only half so I don't really count".

Since it was a potential client I simply excused myself to the restroom and came back to change the subject. This person was with a Fortune 1000 company which we had ties with.

Prejudice exists in corporate America. Thankfully I was seen as not being "like the others".
if he said you're not like the "others" in terms of looks, that's just making a distinction. if he said you're not like the "others" in terms of your abilities/potential based on your looks, then more than likely that is discrimination. context is important

Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
My job requires a Master's degree. I knocked out grad school (while working) right after finishing my undergrad. That was the best decision I ever made education-wise. For me the value of a college degree has paid dividends. But then again, i'm not black, so I suppose the "natural hair" thing is not an issue for me? LOL
But obviously the bigotry thing is.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:28 AM

208 posts, read 492,266 times
College is Overated

Old 03-10-2011, 08:30 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
But obviously the bigotry thing is.
Ooooohhhhh!! Ahhhhhhh! Bigotry! Got any other liberal buzzwords words for me?

I happen to find it hilarious that the individual quoted in the article would actually source "natural hair" as a job finding issue! She said it...not me!

I'm just laughing my butt off at the assertion!

Now, what else can I do for you today?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:48 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
I have a difficult time blaming colleges and universities for poor educational choices made by the student or the lack of real-world opportunities. Unlike grade school and high school, colleges and universities are not institutions were students are spoon-fed information. By the time one attends college students are expected to be able to educate themselves. If they graduate with a degree that is worthless in the real-world they have only themselves to blame, not the college or university they attended.

You can say a great deal about colleges and universities, and I have, but they cannot be blamed for poor career choices made by the student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies