Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:02 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,589,728 times

Advertisements

Figured I'd toss this out there, since over my time here I've seen way too many people on this board toss out the "hero" moniker to idiots who don't deserve the term (lady who tries to hit gunman with purse, guy from '127 hours', etc.)

Japanese nuclear plant workers emerging as heroic figures in tragedy - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110315/ts_yblog_thelookout/japanese-nuclear-plant-workers-emerging-as-heroic-figures-in-tragedy - broken link)

That's heroic. Not some idiot who goes into the wilderness alone or some lady who half-heartedly hits a guy holding a gun with her purse. These 50 rank right up there with Anatoly Grishchenko (look him up).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 05:49 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,373,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Figured I'd toss this out there, since over my time here I've seen way too many people on this board toss out the "hero" moniker to idiots who don't deserve the term (lady who tries to hit gunman with purse, guy from '127 hours', etc.)

Japanese nuclear plant workers emerging as heroic figures in tragedy - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110315/ts_yblog_thelookout/japanese-nuclear-plant-workers-emerging-as-heroic-figures-in-tragedy - broken link)

That's heroic. Not some idiot who goes into the wilderness alone or some lady who half-heartedly hits a guy holding a gun with her purse. These 50 rank right up there with Anatoly Grishchenko (look him up).
They sure are.

Heyyyyy, isn't O'Keefe a hero too for his NPR expose videos?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:51 PM

45,247 posts, read 26,488,601 times
Well those Dem legislators in Wisconsin set the bar pretty high...

Old 03-15-2011, 06:44 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,869,195 times
I have to agree with the OP on this one. These workers will likely die a hideous death. They have been in my thoughts all day, I hope they fair far better than I expect. NO workers should ever be put in this position. This is not a power source we need.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I have to agree with the OP on this one. These workers will likely die a hideous death. They have been in my thoughts all day, I hope they fair far better than I expect. NO workers should ever be put in this position. This is not a power source we need.
On the contrary, I'm all in favour of nuclear power, as it is the best option we have. And I understand why Japan took the risks it did, given its relatively small landmass but enormous power consumption needs due to population density and technology, but the problem here was putting these plants on a fault line, not their construction in general.

Here in the US, the best solution was (and continues to be) placing a number of them in the Northern-central side of the country (the Dakota's, Nebraska, etc.) where they aren't in danger of hurricanes, earthquakes, etc. (the way they are built, they can withstand even an F5 class tornado). In Japan I don't know what the solution is. They simply lack the space for solar, wind doesn't produce enough, hydro can only get them so far, they lack the resources for coal. Maybe geothermal, but people have largely ignored it.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,289,501 times
Quote:

The Japanese have been great; but we can't find a President, Congress and Senate who will pass a balanced budget amendment and laws to pay off the national debt.
That my friends would be courage.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:15 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,370,040 times
Quote:
On the contrary, I'm all in favour of nuclear power, as it is the best option we have. And I understand why Japan took the risks it did, given its relatively small landmass but enormous power consumption needs due to population density and technology, but the problem here was putting these plants on a fault line, not their construction in general.

Here in the US, the best solution was (and continues to be) placing a number of them in the Northern-central side of the country (the Dakota's, Nebraska, etc.) where they aren't in danger of hurricanes, earthquakes, etc. (the way they are built, they can withstand even an F5 class tornado). In Japan I don't know what the solution is. They simply lack the space for solar, wind doesn't produce enough, hydro can only get them so far, they lack the resources for coal. Maybe geothermal, but people have largely ignored it.
Not sure geo would work well in Japan either.

I bet the bedrock is very high.

You need a big strip of sandstone for geo.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:17 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,362,435 times
yes these guys are Hero's, they stay knowing they will almost certainly loose their lives.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,301,323 times
Quote:

Every time I see some of those obviously brave people inside their protective gear I have to wonder if they are as likely to be affected as those in Hiroshima, minus any gear were. I keep thinking that their dosimeters will help in their protection and that they all are very experienced in the whole thing.

I think I am saying that the American MSM is trying very hard to make it appear worse than it is in order to affect the way our government weakens on its recently found desire to resume building nuclear facilities here. I really wonder if any of them are ready to come forward with any answers about how we manage to provide electricity to the coming generation since our leaders have decided that we aren't to construct any more coal fired generating plants, and we are short on oil which is so terrible, anyway, and natural gas although being less air fouling is still nothing else other than less.

Do you have any ideas about how we provide electricity for say 350 million people when we can't provide anything like enough with present facilities? I do wonder what happens in winter when we need electricity so badly to heat our homes and businesses since heat is very necessary. I sure hope somebody comes up with an answer.

Maybe Agenda 21 proposed by the UN can answer my question. That thing says that we would do away with humans in the central part of the country except for some cities where the survivors will be racked and stacked in high rise buildings. When I see what has happened in Japan with their high rises that were constructed to withstand pretty tough earthquakes when so many of ours weren't 50 or 100 years ago when they were built I wonder what the building standards of the Agenda 21 crowd will be. Since they want to lower the population of the world, substantially, I imagine they won't wast money on well constructed facilities.

I do hope that our people can withstand winters with the shortage of electricity that will come from the present plans of our administration.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:50 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,301,323 times
Quote:

How can we make those states the centers of power production when they do provide some very important food products? When you take up as much of them to build wind and solar generators and then get in with the nuclear production that is about all they have room for. I mention those two renewables because they seem to be the favorites for the Obama administration.

Another question would be about the construction of the huge lines of transmission that would be needed to distribute that power around 1500 miles to the coasts. Just wondering about that one.

Have you seen a lot of left overs from F5 tornadoes? I also wonder about that. I saw one town obliterated by one of those things not too long ago and there simply was nothing left in the direct path, about a mile wide. However, the grain elevators, pretty high stood through it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies