Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 01:30 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,620,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
So far, the reasonings have been:

1) We should abolish all marriage instead (sour grapes)

2) My religious beliefs say no (Congrats, we aren't a theocracy)

3) They're icky and should stay out of view (And I feel the same about 300lb persons. So what?)

4) There's no discrimination as everyone can marry someone of the opposite gender. (Intellectual dishonesty)

5) We can't redefine marriage (Merriam-Webster and Oxford dictionaries say otherwise)

6) Same-sex couples are killed in muslim countries (So we're comparing America to countries who kill, murder, and maim anything they don't like...?)

7) Beastiality is next! (Since animals can't sign contracts, this is no good...)

8) 70-year old grandmas and their 10 year old boyfriends are next (Age of consent... can't sign contracts, this is no good...)

9) Polygamy is next! (As long as they're consenting adults, who cares?)

10) They can get everything with a POA (Nope. They can't.)

11) They can't have children through "normal" means (Yet sterile hetero couples are fine.)

Any others?
Does it really matter? We get to vote however we want. That's what's great about this country...we get to vote...at least until some activist judge overrules the people.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:31 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
That is a bit of a problem. One thing I do find interesting in the discussion with the whole marriage issue, is divorce. And guess where the lowest divorce rate in the U.S is?? Hint, its some liberal blue state in the northeast that was the first to grant Gay Marriage.....
This means nothing. MA had the lowest divorce rate in the country even before gay marriage was legalized there.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:32 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Does it really matter? We get to vote however we want. That's what's great about this country...we get to vote...at least until some activist judge overrules the people.
You mean like in Loving V Virginia??

Civil Rights should NEVER be up for a vote....

Old 03-30-2011, 01:34 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
So far, the reasonings have been:

1) We should abolish all marriage instead (sour grapes)

2) My religious beliefs say no (Congrats, we aren't a theocracy)

3) They're icky and should stay out of view (And I feel the same about 300lb persons. So what?)

4) There's no discrimination as everyone can marry someone of the opposite gender. (Intellectual dishonesty)

5) We can't redefine marriage (Merriam-Webster and Oxford dictionaries say otherwise)

6) Same-sex couples are killed in muslim countries (So we're comparing America to countries who kill, murder, and maim anything they don't like...?)

7) Beastiality is next! (Since animals can't sign contracts, this is no good...)

8) 70-year old grandmas and their 10 year old boyfriends are next (Age of consent... can't sign contracts, this is no good...)

9) Polygamy is next! (As long as they're consenting adults, who cares?)

10) They can get everything with a POA (Nope. They can't.)

11) They can't have children through "normal" means (Yet sterile hetero couples are fine.)

Any others?
To balance things out, how about compiling a list of all the reasons people have for wanting to legalize gay marriage?

Old 03-30-2011, 01:35 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Couldn't rep you again, but I think that's all of 'em.

I totally did forget one!

12) Marriage has always been 1man/1woman (Factually incorrect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
Thanks for reminding me!

13) The majority is against homosexual marriage (Sic Semper Tyrannis)

Quote:
You mean like in Loving V Virginia??

Civil Rights should NEVER be up for a vote....
irrelevant. Nobody is suggesting they should be. Nobody's Civil Rights are being denied. Everyone has the same access to marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
This means nothing. MA had the lowest divorce rate in the country even before gay marriage was legalized there.
I'm not saying gay marriage in itself had anything to do with the lower divorce rate. I'm simply pointing out that the areas where gay marriage is legal and has the most acceptance tend to have lower divorce rates than the areas that are most hostile towards it. Its just an interesting sidenote to the whole sanctity of marriage debate.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
irrelevant. Nobody is suggesting they should be. Nobody's Civil Rights are being denied. Everyone has the same access to marriage.
You just did.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
You just did.
Did what?

Old 03-30-2011, 01:39 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Constitutional protections are not subject to a popular vote. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies