Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Constitution be changed to allow naturalized U.S. Citizens to become President?
Yes 20 18.02%
No 91 81.98%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:01 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
"Should the U.S. Constitution be changed ?"
To allow naturalized U.S. citizen to become President of the United States?
Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 08:03 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Nope.
More like, hell no. We have a lefty here trying to get to the situation that we have going on to save Obama from eventually being thrown out. Maybe also wanting to get some illegal aliens available after Obama and his Congress manage to get an amnesty act passed.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:29 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Would what you just said about Brits fit into what they have learned about the inch and mile thing with Muslims?
I guess so!

Just look at that place.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:25 PM

415 posts, read 449,818 times
Quote:
More like, hell no. We have a lefty here trying to get to the situation that we have going on to save Obama from eventually being thrown out. Maybe also wanting to get some illegal aliens available after Obama and his Congress manage to get an amnesty act passed.

You have again nothing to offer. Fail. Duly noted. Move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Andrews View Post
What is your complaint with the Constitution??? It works, and it keeps working we refine and amend as we grow and move forward. Like I said in an earlier post slavery was abolished and discrimination is a work in progress that to this day we are battling. But rewriting the Constitution just to try to appease and make our country comply to wishes of those who think it's out dated
will not be necessary......
Has nothing to do with "it works". Aside from the fact that is has not, as you obviously know yourself.

You can talk all you want, looking at the current demographic changes, I can almost guarantee you that it will be changed. Not just this part, though.

Quote:
This isn't a birther thread. If you want to engage in delusional speculations, I'm sure you can find a forum for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It is legitimate to ever so slighly discriminate against immigrants. In all matters except becoming president, legal U.S. citizens have all the rights of natural born citizens.

I have no problem with the constitutional requirement. I would not support a change to the Constitution to allow non-natural born citizens to become president.
Discrimination is never ok. Dosen't matter who is the victim. I thought the U.S. was a "free country" ? It's just as free as you want it to be. Now I would like to know a reason for this, other than you thinking it's ok to discriminate against a certain group.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:26 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times
Quote:
Of course, they have no idea how you get over 250 million voters together to vote on things. Imagine what that would look like.
It's called The Internet. Of course, it has problems, but I believe it could be made to work for this purpose. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:28 PM

I think, at the very least, a foreign born person who spent a major of his or her life here should have the opportunity to run for President. Say for example someone who was adopted as an infant and brought over here. This person has no ties to any other country, doesn't know anything except being an American.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The law is the law. Rules are rules. You don't just change the rules because you don't like them.
Yes, you do. That's the beauty of a democracy. Don't like it, get enough people with the same opinion and have it changed.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
I wonder when you will understand that we have a representative republic where the people elect representatives to be the governors of the republic. Is there a chance that you just don't understand what this republic is?
I understand enough to know there are flaws. We can fix these flaws.

What's the point in the electoral college? Both Dewey and Gore got the most votes, yet they lost their elections because of the electoral vote.

How is this right?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:28 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Not only no, but he!! no!!! The "REASON" for the Constitution is that it works, has always worked and will always work. It is the most brilliant governing document the world has ever seen. Don't screw with it. That is the one office that should be sacred and restricted to only those born here in this Country...not naturalized in any way. Naturalization eligibility for this office opens the door to destructive agendas.
I changed my thought process to a broader scope than the above addressing of the specific amendment requiring that any President of the USA must be born a citizen of the USA and didn't explain same for the below. The above comment addresses that specific requirement.

Now, the general comments:

Quote:
Don't screw with our Constitution for "tweak/modern,etc." matters. It is very simple, basic and keeps government in check while allowing all citizens to live whatever good life they for which they wish to take personal responsibility and for which to work and achieve.
However, ...

Quote:
It is all the man-made crap; i.e., laws, precedents and government regulations following the creation of our Constitution that should be evaluated and most purged so we can get back to square one.

Our Constitution stands and will stand forever whatever man-made changes man does to himself. Our Constitution is the only hope of man-kind to live a good life into perpetuity!
We must protect the basic Constitution and be very careful of amendments above and beyond the original ones! A good example of screwing up is the mess Amendment 21 (Prohibition...we all know that had to be replealed) and Amendment 14 (Citizenship..., Section 1) have caused. All the supporting paperwork behind (and on file) for this Section of 14 proves this amendment was only meant to address the "slaves" that were born here while parents were slaves. This was so poorly written in its final form so that it has been "interpreted/skewed/spun and used" by lawyers and those politicians for personal agendas. This amendment is one that needs to be "clarified," but better yet needs to be expunged. The included words that today's da*n lawyers ignore or try to interpret (Geez! I sometimes wonder if they understand the English language or just argue to argue) are "...subject to the jurisdiction..." ! Illegals are have broken our laws, and in their case "subject to the jurisdiction" means arrest and deport, not ever consider these people have any constitutional rights, except to any our "legal system" is obligated when they are arrested!

Amendment 14 is the perfect example of passing laws, constitutional amendments and whatever else to address something that is not "general" for all citizens...slavery citizenship addressed only a tiny percentage of the population for a short time period, thus did not need its own Constitutional Amendment. This issue should have been handled through other channels. The result of this mess is that it is a really huge problem today and we are reaping the consequences of very bad legislation process in Congress.

Had to clarify this whole post, after thinking about it in the middle of the night. VBG

Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
To allow naturalized U.S. citizen to become President of the United States?

I do think so! They are being treated like second class citizens. That is wrong. We need to open the presidency to naturalized citizens. There is no reasonable reason not to do it.
How do you define "reasonable?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies