Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 02:22 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What do the Canadians manufacture? I can't think of a single Canadian brand at the moment
only onatrio and quebec manfature anything the rest is all resources but ontario and quebec are home to ford GM and chrysler plants.
here in B.C. we just have trees and natural gas and mineral mines which means we don't build much stuff at all here it is all back east it is connected to the US
also union hbae backed off to keep the auto industry going

Canada’s relative position in the North American industry will be preserved.
In fact, Ontario — which surpassed Michigan in terms of vehicle produced
in 2004 — will cement its status as North America’s pre-eminent auto manufacturing
hub since three of the closing U.S. plants are located in Michigan. As part of the
restructuring efforts, competitiveness at the “Detroit Three” operations has improved.
Several rounds of negotiations with the Canadian Auto Workers union
have significantly reduced labour costs, including so-called “legacy” costs related to pensioners.

Last edited by GTOlover; 03-31-2011 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 02:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada's manufacturing sector grew at the fastest pace in seven years in January, setting the stage for strong first-quarter economic growth that may prompt the central bank to hike interest rates by mid-year.
Coincidently right after Canada lowered their corporate tax rate?
Effective January 1, 2011 the corporate income tax rate falls to 16.5% from 18% of 2010 corporate income tax rate

With another planned reduction next year.
Yearly tax reductions will see the corporate income tax rate fall to 15% as of January 1, 2012

Corporate Income Tax Rates | Canada Business Tax | Canadian Business & Corporate Tax Rates

Old 03-31-2011, 02:27 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
What do the Canadians manufacture? I can't think of a single Canadian brand at the moment
There are lots of companies that have manufacturing plants in Canada.. not just Canadian brands

Such as Coke Cola
Coca-Cola Ltd. - Coca-Cola in Canada (http://www.cocacola.ca/home.htm - broken link)
GM
http://www.gm.ca/gm/

Its AMERICAN companies making products in Canada..

Old 03-31-2011, 02:27 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Yet Canada's taxes are much higher than the US. I'd like to see what the exact definition of manufacturing they use in Canada because I'm willing to bet it's mostly stuff like sawing raw timber into lumber and oil production are counted as "manufacturing" in which case we're not talking about the same thing we call manufacturing in the US. That is a common problem when comparing statistics from different countries.

Just by changing the definitions slightly you can end up with radically different results. Anyone remember back to the early part of Bush 2's administration when they tried to redefine fastfood restaurants as being part of manufacturing?
Wrong on both counts. Our taxes on average are slightly lower than yours.

We build the cars you buy, and the furniture you sit on among a host of other things.

The manufacturing sector is dominated by the auto industry. Including imports, Canadians purchased 1.4 million new vehicles in 1999. That same year, there were 2.8 million new cars and light trucks produced in Canada, or 4.5 percent of the world's total output. About 90 percent of Canadian-built cars are exported to the United States.

Electronics and electronic components constitute the main growth industry in Canada. These products include telecommunications equipment, computer software, home electronics equipment, and industrial and automotive electronics.

There is a variety of other manufacturers in Canada. Aircraft and aircraft parts provide US$7.9 billion to the nation's GDP and some US$7.3 billion in exports. Canada's Bombardier company, with over US$10 billion in revenues in 2001, is a major producer of business jets, and is the world's third-largest civil aircraft producer.

Furniture and furniture accessories account for US$6 billion worth of products annually, including US$3.4 billion in exports. A staggering 97 percent of Canada's furniture exports go to the United States. The plastics industry manufactured some US$4.8 billion in products in 2000 while environmental concerns have created a thriving pollution control industry with goods worth US$4.3 billion that same year. Other major industrial sectors include medical equipment and pharmaceuticals, pulp and paper products, and sporting goods and recreational equipment.

I know this is rather dated, so I'll see if I can find something more recent.
http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/e...as/Canada.html

Old 03-31-2011, 02:28 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
only onatrio and quebec manfature anything the rest is all resources but ontario and quebec are home to ford GM and chrysler plants.
here in B.C. we just have trees and natural gas and mineral mines which means we don't build much stuff here it is all back east.
Interesting. Are those cars made for the Canadian market or exported to the US?
A couple of years ago they tried to attract Hollywood to Canada, don't know how that worked out.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:29 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
I thought real hard and came up with one brand, Bombardier, we use their trains over here, too.
But then again, maybe brands are not so important. Maybe they have a lot of specialized companies (like the Germans and the Japanese), whose names hardly anyone knows, but whose products are used around the world by OEM's etc.
I didn't know Bombardier made trains. I only know them for their jets.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:31 PM

Sanspeur, I know several Albertans who would probably claim it was their oil production and refining which was spiking these numbers.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:37 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Well it looks like I don't have to look up anything. Fellow C-D posters are educating me on Canadian manufacturing as I go along....

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2011, 02:38 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
[quote=Neuling;18529962]Interesting. Are those cars made for the Canadian market or exported to the US?
A couple of years ago they tried to attract Hollywood to Canada, don't know how that worked out.[/quote]
depends there is alot of TV and movies filmed here but they are smaller budget movies and alot of crappy made for TV movies

Old 03-31-2011, 02:40 PM

Canada's tax subsidies for the film industry (as well as the B.C. subsidies) has attracted some production up North but filming in L.A. has continued to grow even during the recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies