Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 01:46 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,532,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Are you saying the left uses no disinformation?
I'm saying there's a difference between spinning a situation to accentuate what seem to be the salient or positive aspects of it from your own point of view, and the outright manufacture of disinformation, i.e., the creation for partisan purposes of information that is deliberately false and/or misleading. I am also saying that the right-wing has created an entire industry for the manufacture of disinformation that has, due to its sheer volume in terms of both word-count and decibel level, affected other media and made honest information more difficult for the average person to identify or come by. In this, the right-wing basically borrowed and perfected techniques that had been used by Christian fundamentalists before them, and the latter had in turn learned the craft from observing the work of the tobacco companies. In this, the right-wing basically turns the words of Thomas Jefferson on their head. A healthy of democracy, he said, depends on educated citizens, and the right-wing has been trying to dis-educate citizens just as fast as it possibly can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 01:51 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,651,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I'm saying there's a difference between spinning a situation to accentuate what seem to be the salient or positive aspects of it from your own point of view, and the outright manufacture of disinformation, i.e., the creation for partisan purposes of information that is deliberately false and/or misleading. I am also saying that the right-wing has created an entire industry for the manufacture of disinformation that has, due to its sheer volume in terms of both word-count and decibel level, affected other media and made honest information more difficult for the average person to identify or come by. In this, the right-wing basically borrowed and perfected techniques that had been used by Christian fundamentalists before them, and the latter had in turn learned the craft from observing the work of the tobacco companies. In this, the right-wing basically turns the words of Thomas Jefferson on their head. A healthy of democracy, he said, depends on educated citizens, and the right-wing has been trying to dis-educate citizens just as fast as it possibly can.
So you are saying the left is always right, and the right is just a noise machine? Yes, you are fair and balanced.
You are just as misguided and illogical as the far right wingnuts.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:02 PM

It was thinkprogress, not mediamatters weighing in on this, but you might want to recheck the NYT. Column 6, below the fold...4 Charged in Bomb Plot at Kennedy Airport. That's a capsule, not the full story. But it's plainly on the front page.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:12 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,614,747 times
Quote:
It was thinkprogress, not mediamatters weighing in on this, but you might want to recheck the NYT. Column 6, below the fold...4 Charged in Bomb Plot at Kennedy Airport. That's a capsule, not the full story. But it's plainly on the front page.

Then it's different for different areas of distribution. I'm in a library right now, just held that issue in my hand, and it wasn't there.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:14 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,614,747 times
Quote:
I am also saying that the right-wing has created an entire industry for the manufacture of disinformation that has, due to its sheer volume in terms of both word-count and decibel level, affected other media and made honest information more difficult for the average person to identify or come by.
Ever heard of moveon.org? Ever hear those talking points splattered all over TV? I know, this is not disinformation, it's a credible source.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:31 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,157,790 times
Quote:
Mediamatters goes after disinformation that hurts liberal causes only, and could care less about disinformation that hurts conservative causes. They also tend to spin stories that really aren't bad at all, if they are having a slow day.
They do focus on conservative items in the media, whether it's Fox, the NY Times, the Post, ABC, or anyone else, but that's what they focus as a watchdog. There are similar conservative organizations out there as well.

Quote:
Ever heard of moveon.org? Ever hear those talking points splattered all over TV?
Ironically the only place - and I mean only place I hear of Moveon or their cause of the day is on Fox or Rush etc.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Mediamatters goes after disinformation that hurts liberal causes only, and could care less about disinformation that hurts conservative causes.
When fishing in a stream stocked with trout, one tends to go after the trout. Maybe there's a bass or two in there as well, but what would be the point.

Quote:
They also tend to spin stories that really aren't bad at all, if they are having a slow day. Just like newsbusters.org does for the conservative side.
I do have a lot of sympathy for newsbusters. Their job is so much harder than that of the folks on the other side. Their current up-front pieces deal, for instance, with political implications of plot lines on this year's '24', and former White House reporter Helen Thomas being 'miffed' at being portrayed in Doonesbury as Harry Truman's secret lover. Seems like the Maytag Repairman has more meat on his plate than these folks do.

Quote:
A quick click on Olbermann's link on mediamatters show that they champion whatever Olbermann says while they attack anything and everything they can about O' Reilly.
A search for Olbermann on mediamatters returns primarily their regular tracking of who got the 'Worst Person' awards.

Quote:
This in and of itself makes mediamatters a disinformation campaign.
You should recheck the definition of 'disinformation'...

Old 07-31-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
So you are saying the left is always right, and the right is just a noise machine? Yes, you are fair and balanced.
If I'd meant to say that, I would have said that.

Quote:
You are just as misguided and illogical as the far right wingnuts.
An easy charge to levy. Much easier than coming up with an actual response. The mission of the right-wing disinformation media is to knowingly disinform, mislead, and manipulate people for partisan purposes.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:56 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,651,697 times
Quote:
When fishing in a stream stocked with trout, one tends to go after the trout. Maybe there's a bass or two in there as well, but what would be the point...
Your opinion. There is more than enough left bias, you simply choosed to ignore most of it as it is not far enough left for your taste.

Quote:
I do have a lot of sympathy for newsbusters. Their job is so much harder than that of the folks on the other side. Their current up-front pieces deal, for instance, with political implications of plot lines on this year's '24', and former White House reporter Helen Thomas being 'miffed' at being portrayed in Doonesbury as Harry Truman's secret lover. Seems like the Maytag Repairman has more meat on his plate than these folks do....
Yes, you are right. The mediamatters storyline about what an MSNBC reported said regarding the Hillary cleavage sensationalized story is far more important for us to focus on.

Quote:
A search for Olbermann on mediamatters returns primarily their regular tracking of who got the 'Worst Person' awards....
And they have no problem promoting his far left garble, while attacking O'Reilly for doing the same thing on the right side.

[/quote]You should recheck the definition of 'disinformation'...[/quote]

disinformation-
1. Deliberately misleading information announced publicly or leaked by a government or especially by an intelligence agency in order to influence public opinion or the government in another nation: "He would be the unconscious channel for a piece of disinformation aimed at another country's intelligence service" (Ken Follett).
2. Dissemination of such misleading information.

Yep, checked the definition. Fits Mediamatters like a glove as well as many other sites on both sides of the spectrum.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Then it's different for different areas of distribution. I'm in a library right now, just held that issue in my hand, and it wasn't there.
That's certainly possible, as there are different editions for different areas. But the Times had the Plot story fronted on its website three hours before the official press conference on that Saturday, so it's not like they were not aware or deliberately trying to 'bury it', as charged by some whom we know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies