Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:14 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
As far as black tv shows, they have to pass thru the white owners first. Bet is not black owned or even programmed.

What is racism really?

Am I a racist because I hate racist white people?

Most black people don't like whites because of a stereotype that once upon a time very true. (and still is unfortunately, as I have learned)
Unfortunately, to hate racist white people, you'd have to determine which whites were racist---sounds like about 99% by your definition. But once you figured out the percentage, and who each racist was, then, if you proceeded to hate them, yes, indeed, you'd be a racist. It would be simpler to just hate all white people....

-A cop who beats up violent thugs, is himself a violent thug----

-In Viet Nam, we had to burn down villages to save them from communism---

-If you tell a liar a lie, you're a liar---

-"Affirmative action" sometimes utilizes racial preferences to combat racism....

-Muslims have been known to bomb those who accuse them of being violent--

-Sometimes it becomes neccessary to "run people out of town" if they won't accept the message of Christian compassion and fellowship...

-Undocumented immigrants come in enormous numbers, from places they love, to places they despise---

-The S.W.A.T. team often surrounds a barricaded house, with weapons aimed toward it, demanding that the suspect "come out so we can help you".....

-To excercise free speech on campus, you must first determine whether your topic is allowable...

-There are a whole lot of people who just don't fit in to a modern, multi-ethnic society...

Life can get very complex.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 10:15 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I didnt say BET is a racist network but just imagine when "WET" comes out how much flack whites would get....the name of the channel could be different.....that's alll im saying...its fine to show all your cultures shows because obviously there is a large audiance to watch and i do watch BET sometimes to....im just saying that "White Entertainment Television" is something that whites would be called racists for having

If you haven't noticed every other channel is WET. You list the black themed shows not on BET and get back to me. Should blacks never be allowed to see themselves portrayed positively on TV?

WHy is a black guy who has an opinion, "the angry black guy"?

FYI...Places like Historically Black Colleges and Universities(HBCUs) and BET were created because blacks were not allowed to attend school with whites or have (positive)african-american themed shows on broadcast TV.

As I think..not much has changed, especially on TV.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:27 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
there are alot of double standards nowadays when it comes to being white and asking the same things a black or hispanic asks..

if a white person says they wished there was an all white tv network they would be looked at as racist....or if a white person gets mad at a criminal who robbed him that happens to be black then the white man is a racist.....

well i am tired of the stereotypes......not all white people are richer than all blacks and not all whites have been through less of a struggle in life than any other race

i am a white boy who grew up in Miami and had many friends of other races, so i am used to being around others but when i moved to places that werent as diverse i noticed that the blacks would be more judgemental of white people in everything they did....lets say for instance......

it is night time and i was looking at a black person because i thought it was my friend from work, but i couldnt see his face so clear in his car so i looked a little longer to see if it actually was him....well the black guy in that car would see me and say im a racist because i was looking at him and i have white skin....

well these are the kinds of misunderstandings that happen everyday but whites get called racist for it.....

or another example....i work at a pizza place and i am in a not so good mood and a black person calls to order food .....well he thinks i am being racist to him on the phone because he senses frustration in me.....little does he know that my boss just chewed me out about something, but now i am also a racists to because i wasnt like the white folk on television.....

i just think people need to sit back and think if we are really treating them a certain way for thier race or if it is really something else that is going on in the situation

i love all colors just hate attitudes.....

who thinks the same way or who disagrees and why?
Preach on, brother. We live in a "everything offends everyone" and "everyone is so sensitive to every little thing" society, we need more people like you.

Let's cut the crap and stop being "offended by every little thing" and let people lives their lives, man!! I am sick and tired of seeing people be extra-nice to people of other races, so they won't be labeled a "racist".

I am also sick and tired of those who wnat to sue over a Christmas tree, or call a boycott of a store or wnat to sue a store because an employee says "Merry Christmas". GET REAL MAN!!

Political Correctness = Idiocracy for loser-types!!

I Hate Political Correctness Crap! (broken link) --> Not a real site, but that is how much I hate PC!!

If you hate PC, let's us all hear it!!

Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,534 times
I always had a question nobody could answer, or chose not to answer. Without offending anyone, of course; If I went to a historically black university, would I be eligible for minority scholarship? Or is it minority status as in the big picture, US minorities.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:02 AM

2 posts, read 14,317 times
I wasn't going to even respond to this but I feel compelled. I live in SoCal and I can say first hand that the only people keeping the "black man" down is himself. Yes white people enslaved black people, but how many years ago was that? Not to say that we must forget, but how long are we going to blame society on how we live now. The education and the jobs are there if you want it. I can have any job a white person can have. There are double standerds when it comes to what white people can say and what they can't and I think that's stupid! I get discriminated against all the time and not by white people either...imagine that! I'm a black woman with a Jewish husband and you wouldn't believe the looks we get sometimes...and on occasion people will actually be so bold as to say things too. It's called reversed racism. It's clyche (sp) and all but I really do wish that we could all just get along! And the whole Don Imus thing was just rediculous! If they fired him then they might as well fire half of the black comedians who make white jokes on a daily. He was a "shock jock" get over it! I'm sure that wasn't the first time those girls had ever been called a "nappy headed hoe." It just so happend the person calling them that was white and now all hell had to break loose. By no means am I saying he was right in what he said, but what makes what he said any different than what Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Jamie Fox, Dave Chappelle or any other great comidians say??? It's just still so sad.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:12 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
Just for the record - EVERYONE stereotypes. Even people who think they don't do it.

Here's a great article on the psychology of stereotypes. Read it, you'll be surprised and see that stereotyping is normal behavior. People would like to shame others for doing it as not being politically correct, yet those very people do it as well. There's no way around it, we ALL do it!

ABC News: The Psychology of Stereotypes

Old 07-31-2007, 06:39 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Imus directly insulted a specific and current young woman's athletic team. A real group of young women who did absolutely nothing to deserve being insulted on national radio about the way they look- and in fact a team who could be held up as role models. For anyone who listened to Imus regularly, it was an obvious misspeak. Nonetheless it was done in bad taste. In fact I can honestly say that none of my caucasion friends spoke up in his defense when they understood the conversation and its context.
Like, I said, I don't support what he said. However, I do support his right to say it.

Also, I hear worse come out of the mouths of Tommy and Rumble. In fact, they were mocking everybody who was in a jumble over the Don Imus thing. They had random people call into the station to call the team the 3-word phrase. Themselves were calling the anti-Imus people the same phrase. They're still in radio.

Another figure that breaks the trend is Foamy the Squirrel. For about 5 years now, Foamy has insulted EVERY stereotype. Johnathan Ian Mathers hasn't been openly protested, he hasn't been financially destroyed...

Next Topic -

But. Before I get too much bashed. I may not support what a person says, but I support their RIGHT to say it.

Back to the part about being "racist." In my opinion, everybody has at least a twinge of racism in them. We don't KNOW every other person on the planet, but we know what we see when we're out an about. We see a certain aspect of certain sects of society on many occasions, we generalize that MOST or ALL of that sect must be like that. Humans are VERY discriminatory and territorial -animals-.

Jews with big noses and being penny-pinchers.
The drunk Irishman starting fights in a bar
Gangstas in da hood with da bling bling
Illegals being unable to speak English
Middle Easterners with beards being terrorists
Asians teens being brilliant Technology geeks
White Collar Workers being rich and well-to-do
Blue Collar Workers being poor and un-intelligent
Truck drivers being big, burly, hairy men
White people being the "DRAMA"
Supermodels being completey fake
Gamer super nerds

Those are just some of the stereotypes I could think up off the top of my head. Thing is, the media gives in to the stereotypes and plays on them for ratings. So, especially younger kids see the stereotypes that their parents point out and make a deal of and see it more on TV. Video games play on stereotypes.

So, in short. Everybody is more discriminatory against SECTS of different races rather than just discriminatory per color.

AND, in my biased opinion, I don't think there's anything that anybody can do about stereotypes and discrimination as long as it causes so much outward tension and hatred. Instead of siding with somebody because they're in your sect, try seeing the story as though they are from a different sect. Instead of protesting somebody because they're not from your sect, imagine they are.

A perfect example is the following quote from "A Time to Kill," one that I thought was almost ingenious by the writers.

"I want to tell you a story... This is a story about a little girl walking home from the grocery store one sunny afternoon. I want you to picture this little girl. Suddenly a truck races up. Two men jump out and grab her. They drag her into a nearby field and they tie her up and they rip her clothes from her body. Now they climb on. First one, then the other, raping her, shattering everything innocent and pure with a vicious thrust in a fog of drunken breath and sweat. And when they're done, after they've killed her tiny womb, murdered any chance for her to have children, to have life beyond her own, they decide to use her for target practice. They start throwing full beer cans at her. They throw them so hard that it tears the flesh all the way to her bones. Then they urinate on her. Now comes the hanging. They have a rope. They tie a noose. Imagine the noose going tight around her neck and with a sudden blinding jerk she's pulled into the air and her feet and legs go kicking. They don't find the ground. The hanging branch isn't strong enough. It snaps and she falls back to the earth. So they pick her up, throw her in the back of the truck and drive out to Foggy Creek Bridge. Pitch her over the edge. And she drops some thirty feet down to the creek bottom below. Can you see her? Her raped, beaten, broken body soaked in their *took out this word*, soaked in their *took out this word*, soaked in her blood, left to die. Can you see her? I want you to picture that little girl. Now imagine she's white."

Now, this movie is based on a time where racism was VERY prevalent. That isn't the America we live in.. for the most part. If you want people to give you respect and dignity, you need to give it. Instead of saying "my race/sect/whatever has all these disadvantages... blah blah blah," you need to see what advantages you DO have and use them to the fullest. Instead of asking for "free handouts" per say, get out there and bust your butt working. Everybody has a sob story to the beginning of their life. But try to change that sob to a smile through YOUR efforts.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:22 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
I always had a question nobody could answer, or chose not to answer. Without offending anyone, of course; If I went to a historically black university, would I be eligible for minority scholarship? Or is it minority status as in the big picture, US minorities.
I don't know, but I think you already know the answer to your question. Most of the race-based scholarships are privately funded. I don't see anything wrong with limiting them based on race/ethnicity/religion etc... It's the donors' money to spend not any of ours. Federally funded scholarships are another story. I believe that these scholarships should be merit or need based only. If you (I don't mean you specifically) want to create a white only scholarship go ahead. If anyone gives you beef about this, take it to the courts. Don't cave in because of pressure and then wonder why you don't have what you want.

Also here are a few links to websites for ethnic scholarships for whites. Apparently they do exist.

The Augustus Society

CFMA Chapitre de Lafayette Scholarship

St. Andrew's Society of Washington DC (http://www.saintandrewsociety.org/scholarships.htm - broken link)

The Kosciuszko Foundation (http://www.kosciuszkofoundation.org/EDScholarships_US_MFPW.html - broken link)

Irish American Home Society :: Glastonbury, CT (http://www.irishamericanhome.com/au_scholarshipinfo.html - broken link)

Greater Worcester Community Foundation Scroll down for this one.

Last edited by yayoi; 07-31-2007 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 07-31-2007, 07:29 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,534 times
Yeah, I'm 24; all done with school. Wasn't really interested for myself per se, but always wondered.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:13 AM

186 posts, read 352,880 times
These two studies proves that there is still discrmination out there.

The Joy of Economics

How do we get rid of discrimination?? Wipe out the human race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies