Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Interracial marriages should be...
Legal 222 86.38%
Illegal 30 11.67%
Not sure 5 1.95%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:43 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
no one is claiming there is no racism, but do you really think this is a one sided issue?
Absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 02:44 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
This is not surprising. Not only are these people inbred they are bigots as well.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:47 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
I think the current young adults of Mississippi will open their minds to interracial marriage as they age. Everyone tends to be a bit radical in their viewpoints in their youth. They mellow out as they get older.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:48 PM

210 posts, read 210,002 times
of course there are idiots everywhere..but despite these polls most people don't believe that way and its really meaningless anyway as Mixed-Marriage will Always be legal

Old 04-09-2011, 03:00 PM

146 posts, read 225,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I think the current young adults of Mississippi will open their minds to interracial marriage as they age. Everyone tends to be a bit radical in their viewpoints in their youth. They mellow out as they get older.
I highly doubt it.

People in the South pass down quite proficiently, intergenerationally, three things: poverty, bigotry, and ignorance. This is why Mississippi was one of the poorest and least developed states in the country in 1900 and still is today, in 2011. If you've ever been to one of these Deep South states, you know that the people, particularly in the rural areas, almost pride themselves on being old-fashioned, as contrasted to "Yankee modernity."

The only reason that places like Florida, Atlanta, North Carolina, etc. pulled themselves out of the morass in the 20th Century was because folks from outside of the South moved there, and moved there in sufficiently large numbers to change the local culture and do things quite differently.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:03 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
No, it seems to me that people become more conservative after they marry and have children.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:09 PM

210 posts, read 210,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post
I highly doubt it.

People in the South pass down quite proficiently, intergenerationally, three things: poverty, bigotry, and ignorance. This is why Mississippi was one of the poorest and least developed states in the country in 1900 and still is today, in 2011. If you've ever been to one of these Deep South states, you know that the people, particularly in the rural areas, almost pride themselves on being old-fashioned, as contrasted to "Yankee modernity."

The only reason that places like Florida, Atlanta, North Carolina, etc. pulled themselves out of the morass in the 20th Century was because folks from outside of the South moved there, and moved there in sufficiently large numbers to change the local culture and do things quite differently.
what a bigotted statement by you....im a northerner, Currently in NJ and originally from NY and i Know plenty of bigots here. there are a few idiots evreywhere but i would never look down upon another region of our Country in the way that you did..i truly believe the majority of people everywhere are not like that, and there are a few isolated numbskulls everywhere.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:10 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
So what exactly is the point of this poll, other than to race-bait?

People are entitled to think what they want, and there are many who don't approve of miscegenation (including blacks and other minorities), even if it's legal.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:10 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
no one is claiming there is no racism, but do you really think this is a one sided issue? If you do, think agian. There are bigot on all sides. Most of us do have a prejudice against something, even you, believe it or not. I am not a racist, I am a Republican and I have a few friends that are Democrats and are racists. As for what I have said over and over, why do so many liberals I(I a not talking about all Demecrats by anymeans) think all Republicans think alike?

Nita
Your answer had almost nothing to do with my post:

Originally Posted by Who?Me?!
NOPE! The Repugs said there is no racism in the United States !
They hate Obama SOLEY on the basis of his platform and actions...
Just ignore the 12 racists who voted to make it illegal......I guess."""

First, I NEVER said ONLY Republicans were racist, did I? NO, I didn't.

Second, my post is correct in that repugs object to be called racists when they criticize Obama saying there is no racism. THEY said that.

Third, why do all Repugs think alike, that's the question...in here they all agree....I never met one that could think for themselves.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:26 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
The rate of disapproval from the 18-29 group doesn't surprise me one bit. We're talking about a state wherein many high schools were still holding segregated proms well into the 2000's. Some probably still do.

Prom Night in Mississippi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
One of the reasons I NEVER want to live in Mississippi. My father was born in raised in Wisconsin to parents who fled Mississippi in The Great Migration. I don't blame them for leaving and I'm glad they did.
I know a woman who was born and spent her youth in Mississippi. She told me that there were segregated high schools in Mississippi as late as the 1970's. To me, it was "that's illegal". She told me that Mississippi does what it wants, even if it isn't right. As of now, she would never live there again.

As for interracial marriage, I can't think of any reason it should be illegal. To me, it is a bigoted think to tell someone that because of race, they aren't allowed to marry a person. Suppose the person you love(and I mean truly love) is of a different race? If the love is there, then race shouldn't matter. If the love isn't there, then race shouldn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies