Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Gays are walking around now outside their homes in perfect safety.
In the U.S, Europe, Australia...not in other parts of the world. In Iran, gay routinely get harassed by either government officials or the morality police--just for walking down the street. If they are the slightest bit effeminate they are "asking for it" and rape is justified in the police's eyes.

Quote:
NO ONE wants to be raped or killed. That isn't a homosexual issue at all.
Of course not. Rape and murder aren't homosexual issues when they happen on their own or for other reasons. But when they happen to someone BECAUSE they are gay, then it becomes a gay rights issue. No one disputes how awful rape and murder are in general, so how is that not homophobia when it's done to someone explicitly because they are gay?

Quote:
Gays also are gainfully employed without discrimination, in most areas of employment.
Again, in the U.S., Europe, Australia...but not in most parts of the world.

Quote:
And gays are having sex in private, as we speak. No one cares about that and if they do, tough. What people do in privacy is their own business, as long as they are consenting adults.
Again, in the U.S., Europe, Australia...NOT in countries like Iran, Uganda, Saudi Arabia, Jamaica...etc. In those countries the police actively seek out gays in private areas in order to rape, torture, and murder them. In those parts of the world, people very much care what you do, even in the privacy of your own home.

Quote:
I can understand people not wanting to be ridiculed because of something they have no control over, such as their sexual orientation, but I would remind you that it is human nature to "pick on" those who are somehow "different", be they fat, clumsy, uncoordinated, shy, socially inept, blind or wear thick glasses, etc. Note all the ridicule of "rednecks" on CD. Not to mention, "conservatives", "liberals", "birthers", "truthers", etc.
Picking on is one thing. I got picked on for being gay and blind and wearing thick glasses. I lived. Repeated raping and killing is another. Those people don't live. They either die psychologically or literally.

Quote:
The financial benefits gays are seeking will come with governmental recognition of gay marriage and gay marriage, per se, is another issue. That issue will probably be settled by the Supreme Court within the next few years.
I don't think people in Uganda and Iran are even thinking about gay marriage. They're just worried about not getting gang-raped.

My whole point here is that gay rights ISN'T restricted to the U.S. or other first-world countries that have equal rights or near-equal rights for gays. There is a whole part of the picture that is completely missed when people blow off homophobia and gay rights as not real issues. People need to step back and look at the bigger picture, and then say if they really think homophobia isn't real or gay rights doesn't compare to other civil rights. They need to look at places where gay people CAN'T live in relative safety and then ask themselves again if gay rights and homophobia are "real".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 09:44 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Violence against everybody is rampant. In rwanda one tribe managed to kill nearly a million members of another tribe primarily armed with sticks and machetes no less. You are using bias in other cultures to justify the political motivations of the democratic party to capitalize on their support by the gay community in the us. Understanding this doesn't make me homophobic.
And I am by no means denying that. I am just challenging the fact that people deny homophobia exists. This thread is in direct response to the numerous claims I have seen on CD saying that homophobia is just about disagreeing or that gay rights isn't civil rights cause marriage isn't a fundamental right. This thread is to show people that on the global level, homophobia is real and that gay rights in many countries is very much about fundamental human rights, such as the right to live.

I didn't accuse you of being homophobic. I am not accusing people who disagree with homosexuality of being homophobic. I am accusing people who go out of their way to rape and kill gay people because they are gay of being homophobic.

I am asking CD posters to look at the information presented in this thread and ask themselves if homophobia really exists and if gay rights is about fundamental rights. I am asking that people not only consider the U.S. but the entire world before forming an opinion about how real homophobia is and how legitimate the gay rights movement is.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,202,988 times
I don't think any reasonable person will deny that homosexuals suffer greatly in other countries, particularly in Islamic countries. However, there is nothing any of us here in the US can do about it. When you started this thread, I was thinking it was to address criticism toward people who just think the term "homophobia" is tossed around with abandon to smear those who are not in lock step with the "gay rights movement" in this country.

Many people in many countries are discriminated against. Christians cannot openly practice their religion in Saudi Arabia. Europeans are safest if they stay out of Islamic enclaves in their own countries. Whites are safest if they stay out of black and Hispanic ghetto areas in this country. I need not even mention the atrocities Jews suffered in 1930's and 1940's Germany.

My point is--everyone is a victim, one way or another, one place or another. Homosexuals are not unique in that way.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:13 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
if homophobia really means hating gays - can we please, finally, use another term for disagreeing with them?

Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,202,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
if homophobia really means hating gays - can we please, finally, use another term for disagreeing with them?
I have actually rolled this around in my mind before, trying to come up with a word that truly describes those who just don't agree with the "gay rights movement" but with no success.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:32 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Really.

What if all the gays are wrong? What if it is against the laws of Nature. What if God really doesn't like homosexuality? They might/would be living a lie. Have ya'll ever thought about that, and all these thousands of years were correct in believing homosexuality is a scourge and abomination?

Just because you say you are right, doesn't mean you are. All the made-up words in the dictionary won't make a difference if ya'll all end up in H---.

I mean, what if? Something to think about.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I have actually rolled this around in my mind before, trying to come up with a word that truly describes those who just don't agree with the "gay rights movement" but with no success.
How about realist?

Old 04-08-2011, 10:34 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I am posting this thread because I hear a lot of people saying things like "homophobia doesn't mean hating gays, it just means disagreeing" or "you can't compare the gay rights movement to the civil rights movement because getting married isn't a fundamental right", and so I want to give people a more accurate picture of what the gay rights movement is about. The right to marry and disagreeing peacefully is just a slither of the gay rights movement.
no one should hate someone because of a mental illness

Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Really.

What if all the gays are wrong? What if it is against the laws of Nature. What if God really doesn't like homosexuality? They might/would be living a lie. Have ya'll ever thought about that, and all these thousands of years were correct in believing homosexuality is a scourge and abomination?
How can something prevalent in nature, violate the laws of nature? Does logic ever enter your mind?

Quote:
Just because you say you are right, doesn't mean you are. All the made-up words in the dictionary won't make a difference if ya'll all end up in H---.

I mean, what if? Something to think about.
Just because you think Christian fundamentalism is approved of by God doesn't mean you aren't the group that constitutes the wide path to Hell.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,282 times
Anybody who 'disagrees' with homosexuality is a homophobe because gay people don't 'choose' to be gay. that means you are disagreeing NOT with PEOPLE with the the REALITY of the SITUATION and a TRAIT you don't like. It's like saying you disagree with black skin. Is that really black people's problem or yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies