Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 AM

37,176 posts, read 19,259,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The Rep. have a good solution..."drill baby drill"! That is at least a start!

Inflate your tires, trade your car or cut down on your utilities is maybe helping a little bit but only a clueless person with no business background can yepp something like this!

The next person should ask if Obama can calculate how much savings trading a car would be .....considering a car loan, higher insurance, and probably including that the current car might be paid off and/or soon be paid off! Really what are the savings Mr. President?
See my post #96. Add to what I pay @ $15.00 per month for increased insurance.

As gas continues to rise (and it will continue to do so, as has been predicted for the last five years) the initial outlay to get into a fuel efficient automobile make more and more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 11:09 AM

27,218 posts, read 46,799,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I'll give you my example:

I had a Ford F150 that got 15 mpg and cost me nearly $200 per month for fuel. I bought a Toyota Corolla with 100% factory financing and opted for the five-year payment plan. There is no more cost associated with five than three, and it brought my payments well under $250 per month. I now spend @ $60.00 per month for gas and I have a vehicle that will last me for ten years plus. At 8 mpg I would have spent $400 per month. I'm driving a new automobile and at that rate would have an extra $100 in the bank at the end of every month.

In short, Our President gave the man some excellent advice. He should follow it, and soon. If he CHOOSES to keep the dinosaur, he should simply shut up and suck up the expense. No one is forcing him to drive an SUV, and it is nobody's obligation to see to it that he can live as he chooses at the price he chooses to pay.
The one thing you forget in my opinion is that the other car might have been paid off soon..and you have paid probably 3 or more times what the car would cost if you paid cash...now you start all over and you forget to calculate that...

You only look at what you monthly payment is and the rest is perhaps something you rather not deal with...

Isn't it great to keep paying for 3 or more cars while only having one!

Old 04-10-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
The one thing you forget in my opinion is that the other car might have been paid off soon..and you have paid probably 3 or more times what the car would cost if you paid cash...now you start all over and you forget to calculate that...

You only look at what you monthly payment is and the rest is perhaps something you rather not deal with...

Isn't it great to keep paying for 3 or more cars while only having one!
My 0% factory financed loan cost me $1500 over the term, whether I had chosen 3, 4, or 5 years. With a 0% loan you pay a profit up front built into it. I knew what the dealer cost was on the car before I went to make the purchase.

I checked with my credit union before I bought, and the loan rate was @ 4%. Over four years, with me borrowing from the credit union, buying the car at invoice, and paying interest, there would have been three dollars difference in the monthly payment. Since my cash is still invested and drawing a return, I will in all likelihood come out ahead simply because I chose to make a monthly payment rather than pay cash for the vehicle.

If the subject of the OP bought a vehicle that he can't afford to feed and didn't pay cash on the barrelhead, he's even stupider that I originally thought.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:36 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,587,351 times
[quote=stayinformed40;18637230]
Quote:
The man has no clue! When a person asked about high gas prices, this was his answer; "trade in your car"...does he really think that will save you money?

He has no clue that most times you first loose money and in the end it will take a long time to get that back...similar when you buy a hibrid...

Calculate how long it will take with the higher price to buy that car, to get really a break and start saving on gas....that takes years!

I say; "Trade in this president!"[/quote]

This!!
^^^^^^^^Annnnnnnnnd THAT!!^^^^^^^^

Old 04-10-2011, 01:35 PM

27,218 posts, read 46,799,974 times
Quote:
My 0% factory financed loan cost me $1500 over the term, whether I had chosen 3, 4, or 5 years. With a 0% loan you pay a profit up front built into it. I knew what the dealer cost was on the car before I went to make the purchase.

I checked with my credit union before I bought, and the loan rate was @ 4%. Over four years, with me borrowing from the credit union, buying the car at invoice, and paying interest, there would have been three dollars difference in the monthly payment. Since my cash is still invested and drawing a return, I will in all likelihood come out ahead simply because I chose to make a monthly payment rather than pay cash for the vehicle.

If the subject of the OP bought a vehicle that he can't afford to feed and didn't pay cash on the barrelhead, he's even stupider that I originally thought.
Haha....I don't have any debt! $ 0.- debt....isn't that great! Also I own a couple of properties, bought them with cash money

I still have plenty of dedections for my taxes and sleep nicely, knowing that no one will come after me for money...

Btw. I bought them all in the good times, meaning lower prices. I also bought a business in a down market for a great price (cash)...

So tell me who is the stupid one here?

Old 04-10-2011, 03:07 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,196,697 times
Quote:
So tell me who is the stupid one here?
What the heck is a dedection?

Old 04-10-2011, 03:13 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,339,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
What the heck is a dedection?

Deflective write-off in a stacked deck.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,911,969 times
Quote:
Apparently you read my post too quickly and din't see the first sentence:"I never said not to drill anywhere you want to."
Apparently you didn't ether read or understand what I wrote either so we're even.

Quote:
In short, you can't drill your way out of this one unless the government owns the production, which means that free enterprise must die. Your call.
No you just don't get it. You cannot sit there and advocate free enterprise or free choice when the government has made all the choices for you through decades of (bad) Democrat policies and laws.

To reiterate:

- Did _I_ choose to make sedans much more expensive than truck based vehicles in the 1980's? No, the Democrat Congress and President chose to in the 1970s though CAFE regulations.

- Did _I_ choose to make oil more expensive by restricting domestic oil drilling and relying more on unstable foreign oil? No, the Democrats chose to institute policies in the last few decades to restrict domestic oil drilling.

- Did _I_ choose to have nearly 60% of my paycheck (no joke) taken away either by direct taxes or through various "fees"? No, the federal and state governments chose this for me.

- Did _I_ choose to have money taken directly from my pocket and then given to people who bought hybrids through government tax incentives? No, the federal and state governments chose this for me.

- Did _I_ choose California's Low Carbon Fuel Standard, which forces reformulation of gas ever year for the next 10 years, thus ensuring cost of gas in CA goes up? No, the state government chose this.

- Did _I_ choose to force gas companies to use MTBE through government regulation, only to subsequently find out how bad it is and then turn around and force all gas stations to dig up all their underground fuel tanks to remove MTBE. Thus ensuring gas prices go up even more. Did _I_ choose this? No, a bunch of Democrat government weenies did this.

So to sit there and say "your choice", no the government chose it for me already. Get it? And _I_ want _you_ to respond to _this_.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Apparently you didn't ether read or understand what I wrote either so we're even.

No you just don't get it. You cannot sit there and advocate free enterprise or free choice when the government has made all the choices for you through decades of (bad) Democrat policies and laws.

To reiterate:

- Did _I_ choose to make sedans much more expensive than truck based vehicles in the 1980's? No, the Democrat Congress and President chose to in the 1970s though CAFE regulations.

- Did _I_ choose to make oil more expensive by restricting domestic oil drilling and relying more on unstable foreign oil? No, the Democrats chose to institute policies in the last few decades to restrict domestic oil drilling.

- Did _I_ choose to have nearly 60% of my paycheck (no joke) taken away either by direct taxes or through various "fees"? No, the federal and state governments chose this for me.

- Did _I_ choose to have money taken directly from my pocket and then given to people who bought hybrids through government tax incentives? No, the federal and state governments chose this for me.

- Did _I_ choose California's Low Carbon Fuel Standard, which forces reformulation of gas ever year for the next 10 years, thus ensuring cost of gas in CA goes up? No, the state government chose this.

- Did _I_ choose to force gas companies to use MTBE through government regulation, only to subsequently find out how bad it is and then turn around and force all gas stations to dig up all their underground fuel tanks to remove MTBE. Thus ensuring gas prices go up even more. Did _I_ choose this? No, a bunch of Democrat government weenies did this.

So to sit there and say "your choice", no the government chose it for me already. Get it? And _I_ want _you_ to respond to _this_.
Cut to the chase. Either you want the free markets to work as they should, or you want complete government control of oil production and pricing. Which is it?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:21 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,452,606 times
Quote:
The man has no clue! When a person asked about high gas prices, this was his answer; "trade in your car"...does he really think that will save you money?

He has no clue that most times you first loose money and in the end it will take a long time to get that back...similar when you buy a hibrid...

Calculate how long it will take with the higher price to buy that car, to get really a break and start saving on gas....that takes years!

I say; "Trade in this president!"

You'll get that opportunity next year. Let's see how that goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies