Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 03:05 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I support a woman's right to privacy. her reasons for getting an abortion are hers alone. I could care less why she wants one only that she can get a legal abortion.
Do you favor any limits on abortion, or are all abortions, for any reason at any stage acceptable? You may have stated your position earlier, if so, forgive me for not reading it.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:25 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Do you favor any limits on abortion, or are all abortions, for any reason at any stage acceptable? You may have stated your position earlier, if so, forgive me for not reading it.
yes, I did state it before. no worries these threads are long. I support the law as it is now. there are adequate limits now. abortion on demand is limited up to a certain point now. late term abortions are done for medical reasons only,

no one is pro abortion no matter what some pro lifers say.
it is about 3 choices which is up to the individual woman.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:30 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I'm sorry you can't answer that question. If this is indeed your stance, though reasonable, you would be disingenuous to use the "its her body" argument, since you would clearly support putting restrictions on "her body" after the first trimester.
Quote:
Thanks for that clarification. The criterion is not "being able to breathe on its own" but only being successfully out of the womb.
We would hope that a woman wouldn't change her mind at such a late date, but, if I understand your stance correctly, you would support her if she made such a "choice". But then again, you support the restrictions of the late-term abortion laws. So, I'm not sure whether you're actually pro-choice or not, if you want to take away her choice in the third trimester, before the child is "birthed and able to live without the aid of a womb". Hmmm
Still looking for a gotcha?

What you fail to realize is that late-term abortion is performed very infrequently. It is not performed for fun, or because someone wakes up 39 weeks pregnant, and decides they have changed their mind. The procedure poses great risk to the mother. It is a terrible decision for a mother to have to make. If you have actually read this thread you will have read formercalifornian's story. Her story is heartbreaking, and I applaud her bravery posting it here.

You are looking for someone in the pro-choice camp to say they support abortion on demand up until 40 weeks gestation because it's her body? Is that what you are looking for?

Perhaps you haven't yet figured out that those in the pro-choice camp are well-educated on the subject of women's health, pregnancy, and abortion. We have seen the gnarly pictures, we have been told ad infinitum "keep 'em closed", we may or may not choose to have abortions ourselves, and that is irrelevant to what we believe. We have heard it all before "murderer, infanticide, baby-killers". We have researched viability, termination procedures, late-term abortion, Roe v. Wade, and exactly why the restrictions are in place. We would never assume to tell someone else what is in their best interests, and we would never assume to make a decision affecting someone else's body without educating ourselves extensively.

Can you say the same?

Old 04-11-2011, 03:39 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Perhaps you haven't yet figured out that those in the pro-choice camp are well-educated on the subject of women's health, pregnancy, and abortion. We have seen the gnarly pictures, we have been told ad infinitum "keep 'em closed", we may or may not choose to have abortions ourselves, and that is irrelevant to what we believe. We have heard it all before "murderer, infanticide, baby-killers". We have researched viability, termination procedures, late-term abortion, Roe v. Wade, and exactly why the restrictions are in place. We would never assume to tell someone else what is in their best interests, and we would never assume to make a decision affecting someone else's body without educating ourselves extensively.

Can you say the same?
Bravo!!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

the restrictions now work fine. to add more laws restricting the basic right chips away at the foundation. we already have states where woman have to travel out of state, hundreds of miles from her home to get health care. laws that assume woman are stupid that we need to hear a baby heart beat or see an ultra sound to know what abortion is are just that stupid. trying to impose others morality on someone else. if they can't shove morality at you they want to guilt you into submission with restrictions.

abortion has been with us forever and will remain. women need legal access. woman should not have to go back to the days of coat hanger abortions or back alleys. nor should they have to endure a beating of the stomach or drink a poison concoction to rid themselves of an unwanted pregnancy. not my business the why's of her choice.

there is a line in the stand between pro choice and pro life folks.
if push came to shove and my choice is a "free for all" or "none at all". I pick the free for all.

like my right to bear arms I will not give it up.
women have the right to control their reproduction any way the see fit

Old 04-11-2011, 03:44 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Default Go ahead and make things up

Quote:
So, some individuals are allowed free choice, and others not? For some the fetus is part of the mother's body and others its not? I see.

No, you don't see.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:16 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
By 6 weeks or earlier the baby's heart is beating, oh please excuse me, "the fetus" since you can't bare to hear "baby's HEARTBEAT.
How long does it beat after being sucked out and thrown into a garbage bag?
Just wondering.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
By 6 weeks or earlier the baby's heart is beating, oh please excuse me, "the fetus" since you can't bare to hear "baby's HEARTBEAT.
Just wondering.
call it what you will, I will even call it what you want me to call it. either way it can not live without the aid of a womb. invent one or rent one.
your attempt at guilt doesn't work

Old 04-11-2011, 04:35 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Just wondering.
The "heart" making that sound is not even fully formed.....it is not capable of sustaining life.

A heartbeat does not make you a person. A thinking, functioning brain and lungs that can process oxygen make you a person. Being able to live outside of the womb makes you a person.

Why is it that we allow people with beating hearts to be removed from life-support once they have no brain function? Do you call THAT murder too?

An ORGANISM with a "heartbeat" {actually it is more like a throbbing blood vessel} is not a peron.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:45 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
The question was, how long does the HEART beat after being sucked out and put into the garbage?
Anybody know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies