Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 01:22 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
To interject a post that is on topic I think there is a cultural aspect as well.
Blacks are viewed as the oppressed and downtrodden due to their slave history over 100 years ago.
Blacks are viewed as behind in most areas of life (education, skills, financial wealth) due to civil rights issues 50 years ago.

Now the question is why do some Blacks not even think about that and go on about life with no regard to color and have achieved that middle class status while others use their color as a crutch and stagnate in poverty ?

Being middle class does not eradicate the racism and bigotry you face as a black person. No matter what our income level is, people apply the same negative stereotypes to all of us. Having a good job and education doesn't stop whites from following you around in the department store because they think you are going to steal, or pulling over the young black male in a nice car because police presume there's no possible way this man could have earned this honestly.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
That's the whole point.

The fact is that there are more blacks going to college than ever before - and the percentage of American college students who are black is higher than the percentage of Americans who are black. This is a great thing, partly because it shows that the opportunities are there.

In addition, there are more blacks than ever, who are not just entering the Middle Class, but have far exceeded the Middle Class. They are literally living the American Dream.

It's a cultural thing. If it were purely racial, NO blacks would be able to succeed.

The real question is - as you asked - why SOME blacks continue to wallow in the mire.
There you go again, thinking you know my situation. You are a racist presuming that just because I am black, I must come from nothing. I grew up middle class, was raised by both of my parents, my brothers and sisters are both college educated yet they still face racism and discrimination. You are judging people you know NOTHING about.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-24-2012 at 01:38 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Excuses, excuses - don't you have a white kid to set on fire, or perhaps some white chick to pour bleach down her throat?

I know plenty of successful black people, in fact, one is my brother in law - he overcame quite a bit to get where he is - but I suspect that if he just sat around on the internet complaining about racist whites all day, he probably wouldn't be as successful as he is today.

Even the successful black people face racial discrimination, it doesn't end when you become educated and with a good job. You don't know what kind of adversary he had to face to get to where he is. It probably wasn't an easy road for him

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-24-2012 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 03-24-2012, 01:34 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
There you go again, thinking you know my situation. You are a racist presuming that just because I am black, I must come from nothing. I grew up middle class, was raised by both of my parents, my brothers and sisters are both college educated yet they still face racism and discrimination. You are judging people you know NOTHING about.
Hahahaha - you are PRICELESS!

Old 03-24-2012, 01:35 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
No amount of wealth is going to change the racism and bigotry that we face from whites.
No amount of wealth is going to slow down the social programs provided by the government for blacks. That's what you should be saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies