Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 12:27 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You do understand that the budget under discussion now would do away with all Title X funding, right? Not just PP. So all other government sudsidised family planning facilities would close to. Do you get that? So in your quest to reduce abortion, you are going to dramatically increase unwanted pregnancies due to lack of access to family planning services. Do you understand that?
Do you understand that people need to take responsibility for their own lives and not count on subsidies for bailing them out?

You also forget that there are plenty of Christian non-profit outreach centers that provide family planning services.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:33 AM

22,194 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Last time: read the OP and study the links.
Do you have ANY idea what evidence means??

None of that is even remotely close to evidence that they are breaking Title X Funding laws. Not even the Republicans in Congress who were pushing the hardest to strip Planned Parenthood of their funding tried to state they were breaking Title X funding laws.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:38 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Do you understand that people need to take responsibility for their own lives and not count on subsidies for bailing them out?
I see the word subsidy has given you tourettes! These family planning centers have been around since 1970. They serve a multitude of different people, students, farm workers, people who have been laid off, and yes, even people with little income. But hey, if you'd rather see a surge in unplanned pregnancies.......

Quote:
You also forget that there are plenty of Christian non-profit outreach centers that provide family planning services.
Did you even bother to read the link? Title X funds many of those faith-based centers.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:18 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Oh, my.
I see your point clearly When you go to the
pdf file I posted the first words you see is
CHANGE. Pretty much the whole intro was
political. How PP was to be an integral part of
the new Health Care Reform and in making
it's laws - and that link was from 2009.

Now, I don't know about anyone else here, but
political agenda has no place in grants. The
problem with Title X is it did serve a purpose
for a period of time - until Medicaid catch up.
Now that time has come-for planned parenthood
to go off on their own. If they can survive, is
really not anyone's concern at the federal level,
as it is no longer 1970, the whole Title X program
needs to come to an end.

Unfortunately, once someone gets free federal
money.....oh it is so hard to turn away from
that

And I think both parties like using it as a wedge issue,
thus not discussing the real issues at hand.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:32 AM

18,422 posts, read 19,036,217 times
Quote:
1) If a baby dies in utero, it's not an abortion.

2) Yes, I do think they should remain pregnant.

if a baby dies in utero in the late stages of pregnancy you think she should have to carry the baby until she delivers weeks and weeks later? shouldn't the choice for hers alone to carry it any longer or not?

how do you force a woman to stay pregnant?

Old 04-13-2011, 01:46 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
While I don't financially support groups that provide abortions or planned parenthood. If those 90,000 abortions had not been provided, would there be 90,000 children living in poverty, abused, neglected because they are unwanted? If people want to send money to Planned Parenthood in the form of a private donation I have no problem with that. Warren Buffett, Gates Foundation, Ted Turner.. etc.

Are there any programs that fund childcare for non-aborted children that doesn't come from the Federal Government? State run orphanages for instance (that aren't foster care).

Should the US government use taxpayer money to fund abortion programs through Planned Parenthood?

I don't think so.

"Our current estimated waiting time for the placement of a healthy US-born Caucasian infant is approximately 2 months to only 12 months. For a healthy US-born Black or bi-racial (Caucasian/African-American) infant the estimated wait is approximately 2 to 6 months."

What is the waiting period to adopt?

"The length of time a family waits for adoption can vary depending on a variety of factors- but the average wait time is between six and eighteen months."

Adoption Misconceptions Explained | How to Adopt a Child from the U.S.

The issue has never been a shortage of families waiting to adopt babies not killed by abortion. Women don't get abortions because they are unable to give a baby up for adoption. They get abortions so they don't have to be pregnant.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Default Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
The practice of killing unborn children is a sacrament of the Left. It is as holy to them as celebrating mass is to Roman Catholics. They love death the way we love life.
Pubs don't love life, who are you kidding? You will drop 12,000 missles per day on a sovereign foreign nation, killing innocent men, women, children, and the elderly, all in the name of "spreading democracy."

Republicans love life as long as they can live it in the manner that gives them the greatest advantages. Damn the lives of the poor, the elderly, the handicapped, the blacks, the latinos, the disadvantaged, the union members, the middle class, the working class, the asians, the indians, the immigrants, the gays, the liberal whites,..., the environmentalists, the unprivileged, the underprivileged, the disadvantaged, the sick, the homeless, and the lives of animals in the wildlife.

How pompous and misguided you Republican men are for thinking you have the right to tell women what they should do with their bodies. Appalling the Pub attitude and knack for intrusive, very bad policies which show no compassion for the lives of many.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:18 AM

41,976 posts, read 75,239,807 times
For all of you who are too lazy to look it up yourselves, here is a link to Planned Parenthood's tax return:

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/fil...osure_Copy.PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Wait, so I qualify for a tax deduction? I have group insurance through my company -- and the rates are INSANE, but please tell me how I can get a tax credit.
If your company participates, you do not pay federal taxes on the dollars you spend on health insurance via deduction from your paycheck. Look at your W-2; if Line 1 is lower than Line 18, you're getting a tax break.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:47 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,875 times
It's really sad that some people still believe the anti-PP lies spewed by right wing loons. Even when shown hard proof that their claims are completely false they just keep repeating their lies over and over again. This is like how the Republican/Tea Party kept repeating the "death panels will kill grandma" lie they were using last year. It would be proven there were no death panels in one show but the same two guys went on the next network saying the same lies about death panels pretending they didn't know it was a lie and that it wasn't prove to be a lie on national TV just 10 minutes prior on the last show they appeared on.

Reality just doesn't matter to these people. Making logical arguments doesn't matter to them; actually, like facts logic is to be avoided especially if it contradicts the smear they're trying to spread. Such people are brain dead and not worth the time of day.

Last edited by Oerdin; 04-13-2011 at 07:19 AM..

Old 04-13-2011, 07:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Truth of the matter is that I don't make enough money nor spend enough on medical for it to matter. But you're making it sound like anyone who pays for their own insurance gets a pile of money back. I know I don't. I just take the expense on the chin month after month.
Ohiogirl81 already explained this, so I'll just reiterate. You and your company are getting a federal tax break if they pay your insurance. You get a tax break if you pay privately, too. You also get a tax break if you have an HSA.

Quote:
You say that Planned Parenthood isn't getting any special treatment or funding through any other means than any other hospital or clinic. If this is true, then exactly what are the Republicans trying to eliminate from the budget?
Title X funds for family planning services.

Quote:
So if abortions are only 3% of what they do, then they shouldn't have any problem going through the same channels as everyone else to get funding, right?
They are going through the same channels.

Quote:
I think anyone who is hugely against abortion isn't going to want any tax dollars going to even keeping the lights on at any facility that does abortions and perhaps that is the line of thinking by the Republicans, not really sure. Perhaps federal money doesn't pay for abortions directly, but it does pay for related expenses?

If every Planned Parenthood clinic were to suddenly vanish tonight, what services are there that Planned Parenthood provided that cannot be gotten elsewhere? And I really am asking because I honestly don't know.
In some communities, low cost family planning/gynecological services. Some communities have NO doctors that take medicaid. Most communities have no services for women with no insurance, who have to pay cash, other than private doctors who charge high prices, and PP on the other hand.

Quote:
^^This

Quote:
If every Planned Parenthood clinic were to suddenly vanish tonight, what services are there that Planned Parenthood provided that cannot be gotten elsewhere? And I really am asking because I honestly don't know.
None. Whatsoever.
Wrong. In many communities, PP is the ONLY low-cost provider of gyn services. A friend of mine worked at a PP serving a bunch of communities in the Rocky Mountains. And before you tell me that everyone that lives there is rich, the actual workers in these ski towns are just barely making it. They don't need high medical bills and they don't need more kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You do understand that the budget under discussion now would do away with all Title X funding, right? Not just PP. So all other government sudsidized family planning facilities would close too. Do you get that? So in your quest to reduce abortion, you are going to dramatically increase unwanted pregnancies due to lack of access to family planning services. Do you understand that?
Great questions! I think many people, including lots of them on this thread, don't have a clue how health care funding really works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies