Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times

Advertisements

Yup..sanctioned "napping" on the job.
The union thinks 2 hours of sleep and 30 minutes to wake up will fix the problem of sleeping controllers.

I dunno. I would have thought to tell them..get yourself a decent sleep BEFORE you come to work.

Think of all those other people on graveyard shifts that won't get a union backed "nap".

Scientists: Controllers need naps on the job - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110415/ap_on_re_us/us_sleeping_air_traffic_controllers - broken link)
In fact, the FAA and the controllers union — with assistance from NASA and the Mitre Corp., among others — has come up with 12 recommendations for tackling sleep-inducing fatigue among controllers. Among those recommendations is that the FAA change its policies to give controllers on midnight shifts as much as two hours to sleep plus a half-hour to wake up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 11:47 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,278,232 times
From government servants to government masters. Congrats on the promotion boys!

Old 04-15-2011, 11:50 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,534,911 times
earlier today, someone had an interesting theory about this.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-know-air.html

Old 04-15-2011, 11:50 AM

401 posts, read 473,601 times
Just hire more controllers. Have them work 1/2 of the time so they are not as fatigued. Of course, they would only receive 1/2 of the salary and benefits to coincide with their effort.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:51 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The union thinks 2 hours of sleep and 30 minutes to wake up will fix the problem of sleeping controllers.

I dunno. I would have thought to tell them..get yourself a decent sleep BEFORE you come to work.

Think of all those other people on graveyard shifts that won't get a union backed "nap".

Scientists: Controllers need naps on the job - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110415/ap_on_re_us/us_sleeping_air_traffic_controllers - broken link)
In fact, the FAA and the controllers union — with assistance from NASA and the Mitre Corp., among others — has come up with 12 recommendations for tackling sleep-inducing fatigue among controllers. Among those recommendations is that the FAA change its policies to give controllers on midnight shifts as much as two hours to sleep plus a half-hour to wake up.
Pilots fly fatigued routinely yet get no slack. It's the nature of that job. Yet the feds get some media time and now they get naps? What a farce.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:56 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,058 times
Quote:

Will they be provided with a mat & graham crackers with juice also?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:04 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
This could be wrong....

But when I was in the Air Force, the ATC's, I was told, had the highest rate of suicide out of any other profession in the country.

I have no problem with them having nap breaks, if it helps them do their jobs.

Do you think that limiting truck drivers to 3 hours behind the wheel without a break is a good thing? In highly stressful jobs, things that can limit the stress, sharpen the mind, and make for a better work environment are a must. Especially when that job holds the lives of others in the hands of the employee.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This could be wrong....

But when I was in the Air Force, the ATC's, I was told, had the highest rate of suicide out of any other profession in the country.

I have no problem with them having nap breaks, if it helps them do their jobs.

Do you think that limiting truck drivers to 3 hours behind the wheel without a break is a good thing? In highly stressful jobs, things that can limit the stress, sharpen the mind, and make for a better work environment are a must. Especially when that job holds the lives of others in the hands of the employee.
So FAA controllers working third shift is something new ?
For decades now other controllers could do it but this new batch of controllers "need their nappy time" ?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:39 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
So FAA controllers working third shift is something new ?
For decades now other controllers could do it but this new batch of controllers "need their nappy time" ?
They could do it, and while killing themselves, and making a lot of mistakes.

The idea is that giving controllers a nap at work could lower their mistakes, and give them a less stressful environment.

The number of flights increases every year, the number of controllers doesn't increase by the same rate. Not to mention the equipment they are using is ancient and outdated.

I have no problem with ATC's having a nap break. We require truck drivers to have a one hour break for every three hours on the road.

Jobs where others lives are in your hands should come with more breaks, and if a nap is what doctors are telling you would work best, by God get a nap.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:43 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,354 times
If there's data that shows that this works and it doesn't cost a ton, why should any of you care? Put away the emotion and concentrate on thoughts. This isn't 1st grade.

That's how private industry works by the way. Managers find ways to improve things, hunt for data to back that up and make changes.

Quote:
Just hire more controllers. Have them work 1/2 of the time so they are not as fatigued. Of course, they would only receive 1/2 of the salary and benefits to coincide with their effort.
Yes and then when the best controllers all leave and go work elsewhere then you'd be complaining about how air traffic controllers aren't going a good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies