Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:35 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,484,516 times

Advertisements

I'm posting an interesting article by Reuben Navarette. The reason is that there is this perception here on City-Data that racism is a thing only of conservatives. Of course, thinking people know that this is not so. My opinion is that the Left uses minorities as political mascots to further their agenda. Well, anyway, here's the column.

Quote:
When Milwaukee radio talk show host James T. Harris, a black conservative, stood up at a town hall meeting and pleaded with John McCain to step up his attacks against Obama, Harris was inundated with hate mail and death threats and called a "Sambo," "Uncle Tom," and a "sellout." Harris said he believes many of the e-mails came from whites.
RealClearPolitics - Articles - There's Liberal Racism Too

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-17-2011 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" only, per the TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 12:05 AM

146 posts, read 250,135 times
Yes racism and ignorance is seen on both sides. I often get the treatment as if I'm some sort of traitor if I voice any disagreement with Obama's policies. When I vocally questioned if he did anything to deserve a Nobel Peace prize people looked me wide eye as if to say "whose side are you on?" I ESPECIALLY got that reaction from white people. I won't lie and say I'm not somewhat biased as an African American but in the end I try to recognize that bias and remember that right and wrong are what matter over black and white. He was elected because many people from across America were able to look beyond their racial predjudice and choose who they felt was the right guy. Sadly many people find it hard to believe that there are African Americans capable of doing that too. Of course I know Obama naturally had the overwhelming support of the African American community but many people play us short. I know plenty of African Americans that initially were for Hillary and Edwards (My first pick). Many of us didn't mind McCain until he started to try and appease those that were more conservative than he has historically been. But many people from outside the Black community assume that we all voted for Obama simply because he looked more like us than the other candidates and that was all. That myth not only collectively insults our intelligence but fails to acknowledge that we are a group of individuals with diverse views and perspectives on all the issues. Just like any other ethnic group.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:38 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,257,051 times
Most of these rare examples of "liberal racism" that conservatives like to bring up is really blacks going after other blacks. Which really isn't racism to begin with, so therefore this topic is moot and pointless.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:43 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Blacks do have internalized racism and issues with Anglo conformity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
Most of these rare examples of "liberal racism" that conservatives like to bring up is really blacks going after other blacks. Which really isn't racism to begin with, so therefore this topic is moot and pointless.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:47 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,484,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
So.......if a black that "goes against other blacks", committing the crime of demanding that those of their own race stay within certain prescribed lines isn't "racism" then I don't know what is.

People are individuals. Individuals have the right to form their own opinions on the infinite variety of matters that concern human existence. Sorry you think that certain individuals shouldn't have that right.

Me, I would rather respect the right of the individual to form their own opinions.

Last edited by nightflight; 04-17-2011 at 02:12 AM..

Old 04-17-2011, 02:11 AM

164 posts, read 103,839 times
Liberals whites and minorities have been far more racist than any whites throughout history. Liberals will tell you otherwise but don't listen to them. Look at the NAACP and UNCF they are legal racist groups.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:15 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salem baptist View Post
Liberals whites and minorities have been far more racist than any whites throughout history. Liberals will tell you otherwise but don't listen to them. Look at the NAACP and UNCF they are legal racist groups.
So are you suggesting the NAACP is more racist than the KKK??

Old 04-17-2011, 02:27 AM

146 posts, read 250,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salem baptist View Post
Apparently history can't be one of your strong subjects. You mean to tell me the NAACP and UNCF have shown more unbridled hatred than the Klu Klux Klan? How many churches did the NAACP bomb? How many people were lynched by UNCF?

Old 04-17-2011, 06:11 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
You know you have a successfully thrown pie in the face of the Liberal Establishment when all you hear is crickets on a "liberal racism" thread.

The silence is deafening. Apparently, there's no logical defense to the hypocrisy.

Thank you for posting!

Old 04-17-2011, 06:19 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
So are you suggesting the NAACP is more racist than the KKK??
The KKK was started by Democrats.

Some of it's most prominent members the last 50 years were Democrats: Robert Byrd and David Duke. (Duke didn't turm R unitl after he quit the KKK).

The people of the Westboro Baptists Church are also Democrats.

Just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies