Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:30 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times

Advertisements

Councilman removes Confederate flags from graves | Opelika-Auburn News
When he hears about and sees the confederate flags on the graves of veterans of the confederation he walks up to the graves ripping them out the ground and breaking some of them in half because "he was offended". I'll hold my breath on if the police will charge him with theft and destruction of private property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 11:36 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Councilman removes Confederate flags from graves | Opelika-Auburn News
When he hears about and sees the confederate flags on the graves of veterans of the confederation he walks up to the graves ripping them out the ground and breaking some of them in half because "he was offended". I'll hold my breath on if the police will charge him with theft and destruction of private property.
Who does this piece of scum think he is? Those men fought for their country. A nation which state's rights came first. They believed in Paine's words that a federal government would lead to tyranny. How right they were!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:38 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,442,384 times
Unbelievable just unbelievable he needs to be thrown out of his seat!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:39 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
This clown is going to be a hero to many.. It won't be long before we have people posting here talking about 'treason' and 'racism' and condemning the South with all kinds of trash talk. Nevertheless, the men in those graves, have the right to be remembered under the banner they fought and died for. Their posterity has the right to place those banners on their graves as well. Some people won't like it...but, oh well. They were soldiers of the Confederacy, remembering them as such is proper......and protected under the Constitution.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:40 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,580,932 times
Wow..desecrating graves...what a tolerant act.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:46 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,820 times
Quote:
Councilman destroys confederate flags from graves
Pandering to his constituency whilst violating the Fourth Amendment no less.
I'd like to see him charged with a hate crime.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:51 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
What makes it worse is he's talking about using his position to try to pass regulations limiting or banning the Confederate flags from these graves. Even worse is his actions have angered KKK type organizations who've said they plan on hitting the town to protest the councilman's actions. I agree with the protest but not the group. The protest and handling should be held from within the city itself.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:12 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
What makes it worse is he's talking about using his position to try to pass regulations limiting or banning the Confederate flags from these graves. Even worse is his actions have angered KKK type organizations who've said they plan on hitting the town to protest the councilman's actions. I agree with the protest but not the group. The protest and handling should be held from within the city itself.
Yea, the idiot got himself on the news, and now hopes to further a national career as a senator or something. Riding the Omamamania wave. By trashing the memories of fallen soldiers.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:01 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,223 times
Quote:
Originally posted by NVplumber
This clown is going to be a hero to many.. It won't be long before we have people posting here talking about 'treason' and 'racism' and condemning the South with all kinds of trash talk. Nevertheless, the men in those graves, have the right to be remembered under the banner they fought and died for. Their posterity has the right to place those banners on their graves as well. Some people won't like it...but, oh well. They were soldiers of the Confederacy, remembering them as such is proper......and protected under the Constitution.
I actually agree. As much as I hate the confederate flag and everything it stands for (like the confederacy), this goes too far. They did die for their "country" and their descendents want to decorate their graves as such. No harm in that. Besides, it is kind of like desecrating a burial site. He needs to lay off.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:16 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,517 times
I am a northerner and have never felt any kind of offence to the confederate flag. The Civil War was part of our history. To remove the little flags from a grave doesn't change that fact. It doesn't make he who lies beneath any less of a confederate, and it doesn't make him any less of an American.

It's pretty petty to have a problem with that. Can't that councilman find something actually constructive to do with his life than to hold so tightly to something that happened in history and he can't do anything about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies