Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S. rRaise Income Taxes on the Wealthy?
Yes on income over 150K 11 12.09%
Yes on Income over 250K 38 41.76%
No 39 42.86%
Maybe 3 3.30%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,218,765 times

Advertisements

Should the U.S. raise Income Taxes on the wealthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 07:51 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,724 times
No!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:54 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Why do you want to penalize the job creaters? 250K is not wealthy. 250k is your average successful small business owner. Doh! Guess George "I'm going to buy lots of gold" Soros forgot to tell you that.

Let's be realisitic. The people who earn around 250K are the ones hiring the cleaners, putting the landscaping and construction companies to work, buying new cars, spending money in local restaurants, and hiring local people to work for them, who in turn, spend their money on local businesses and round and round we go. Why do you want to penalize the economic engine of this country? If you want to tax the rich, tax at over $1M of income. but here's the funny thing. Most rich people do not have high salaries. Their wealth is tied to physical assets not income.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why do you want to penalize the job creaters? 250K is not wealthy. 250k is your average successful small business owner. Doh! Guess George "I'm going to buy lots of gold" Soros forgot to tell you that.

Let's be realisitic. The people who earn around 250K are the ones hiring the cleaners, putting the landscaping and construction companies to work, buying new cars, spending money in local restaurants, and hiring local people to work for them, who in turn, spend their money on local businesses and round and round we go. Why do you want to penalize the economic engine of this country? If you want to tax the rich, tax at over $1M of income. but here's the funny thing. Most rich people do not have high salaries. Their wealth is tied to physical assets not income.
I agree with everything you said here!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:01 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
I favor letting the Bush tax cuts expire. This will raise tax rates on the wealthy but also on me, the middle class. So I voted Maybe.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:01 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,726 times
Quote:

Wish there were gold stars to also give you. Also wish the Dems. could "comprehend" how economics really works. Actually can't believe so many do not, as it appears here from the postings...which leads me to believe many of these posts are "spin doctors" planted here thinking most of us are stupid and believe their crap!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:02 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:

Correct. People who earn less than $500K still get the majority of their income from SALARY. They are not sitting on their butts letting money managers provide them an income by generating interest on a multi-million dollar stock portfolio.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:07 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I favor letting the Bush tax cuts expire. This will raise tax rates on the wealthy but also on me, the middle class. So I voted Maybe.

These are no longer the "Bush tax cuts". They became the "Obama tax cuts" the day they EXPIRED and HE renewed the rates.

If anything, they are the rolling back of the "Clinton tax increases" of the 1990s.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:08 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Wish there were gold stars to also give you. Also wish the Dems. could "comprehend" how economics really works. Actually can't believe so many do not, as it appears here from the postings...which leads me to believe many of these posts are "spin doctors" planted here thinking most of us are stupid and believe their crap!
It's true. The Left has totally missed the mark on this, aska ny sociologist. They'll tell you the same thing. The rich DO NOT have an income. Income is ONLY for working people, and that includes the vaunted 250K that the Democrats want to tax so much. Why is Bill Gates rich? He doesn't earn a salary, or an income. So how is he rich? Because he owns billions of dollars in investments, property, and other assets. You CANNOT tax these with an income tax, because IT IS NOT INCOME. Geezus I'm an economic novice and I know that much! Goes to show you just how brainwashed the liberals are. It's the 6 figure income people that drive the economic engine. The 7 figure people are the ones that park their money offshore, and don't spend a whole lot because their money is tied up in other things, making more money for them instead of spending it Economics 101, liberals.

Liberals should be in an outrage for having an income tax in the first place. REAL wealth is taxed using capital gains, not an income tax which takes money away from working people and salaried middle class professionals and small business owners.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:09 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,312,552 times
I favor raising everyone's tax rates to whatever the highest tax bracket has to pay. Just to be fair. After all, don't people have their "standard deductions" already? That should prevent people from starving. If you can't maintain your current lifestyle then maybe it is time to downgrade. Because if you raise taxes on the wealthy, they would have to downgrade too - why should they have to be the only ones to do that? Everyone should need to do their part. Otherwise they are just being leeches. Fair is fair. I know plenty of people who earn less money than me who have more luxury items and lifestyles. And if you are telling me I need to pay more % taxes than they do, you are out of your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies