Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the term Uncle Tom a racist term when used to describe a black person?
Yes, it is clearly racist 59 62.11%
No, it is not racist 36 37.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 12:07 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Where in my post did it say that being a Conservative makes a Black American an "Uncle Tom"?

I've never thought that a Black American as an "Uncle Tom" just because they were politically conservative. I do wonder how they can be choose to support the Republican Party based on the party's history since the 1960's and remarks made by Republican Party supporters that at the very least are racially insensitive.

You took something I posted put your own interpretation on it and utterly and completely misconstrued it.
They become members of that party b/c they subscribe to fiscal and social conservatism. Not b/c of how other members of the party behave. And it's YOUR opinion that Republicans are "racially insensitive." All blacks don't automatically think like you. Thank goodness.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
We don't "get it" because we don't buy your line of BS nor do we recognize you as any sort of authority on anything you're saying.
Ok....fine. We can both play this game.

Here is how it is. I'm black. You're not. I can say it...and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. You can sit on the sidelines all ticked off, or you can come on this forum and complain. But that's the extent of it. What i say to another black person is not your business, and furthermore, when i address them as such, you wouldn't even know it because you'd be excluded from the discussion. If you do get clued in somehow, it would be because that person decided to tell you about it. In that case, there still isn't a damn thing you can do about it but get mad. Being angry isn't good for your health.....

So since you're powerless, why bother with something that isn't within your purview anyway? This stuff is best left between black folks....trust me. I'm only trying to help you. One must know his/her limitations....and i've outlined yours on this matter.

Anyway...as you were.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:09 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
They become members of that party b/c they subscribe to fiscal and social conservatism. Not b/c of how other members of the party behave.
Exactly. Only very insecure people join a political party because they feel the need to belong to a group whose members think similarly.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:09 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Finally...someone who gets it.

Yes, the term can be racist depending on who is using it. And it's certainly derogatory.

But that's the point...it's SUPPOSED to be derogatory! And when i use it (and i surely do...trust me), i WANT it to be derogatory. If i catch you tomming, i'm calling it. If you're butthurt about it, then stop sucking up to white folks at every turn. Otherwise, its mandatory that i call it. I simply can't pass up the opportunity.

Besides, it's not an issue for white people to deal with. This is between black folks. I don't even know why non-blacks get into a tizzy about the issue. They have no skin in the game.

BTW...it has NOTHING to do with being a conservative or Republican.
Why is it your place to determine if someone is sucking up to whites? How do you know they are behaving differently with whites than with other blacks?

It's not your business to call anybody anything. And no, it's not between black folks, as I find it offensive that someone would say a black person is an Uncle Tom b/c he wants to get along with whites. And yes, many black conservatives have been called an Uncle Tom b/c of it, so it DOES have to do with party affiliation.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:11 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Ok....fine. We can both play this game.

Here is how it is. I'm black. You're not. I can say it...and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. You can sit on the sidelines all ticked off, or you can come on this forum and complain. But that's the extent of it. What i say to another black person is not your business, and furthermore, when i address them as such, you wouldn't even know it because you'd be excluded from the discussion. If you do get clued in somehow, it would be because that person decided to tell you about it. In that case, there still isn't a damn thing you can do about it but get mad. Being angry isn't good for your health.....

So since you're powerless, why bother with something that isn't within your purview anyway? This stuff is best left between black folks....trust me. I'm only trying to help you. One must know his/her limitations....and i've outlined yours on this matter.

Anyway...as you were.
If that were the case, you would not be allowed to call a white person a "cracka", "honky" or "redneck", but I can say it anytime I want.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Nonsense, it is political in every sense of the word, it has no meaning outside of a political context.
Nonsense. When i call someone an Uncle Tom, 9 out of 10 times it hasn't a damn thing to do with politics and everything to do with personal behavior.

Allen West is an Uncle Tom in my opinion, and it has nothing to do with his political leanings. It has everything to do with the fact that he attacked Keith Ellison and did it in a personal manner that had nothing to do with politics.

In any case, you have the right to your opinion. I disagree strongly.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
If that were the case, you would not be allowed to call a white person a "cracka" or "honky".
I have never in my life referred to a white person as anything but white. I don't use racially derogative terms, and i never will. Even when the term "r*ghead" was being thrown around, i took issue with it and demanded that it not be used around me.

So there you have it.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:14 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Wow......I really hate to say stuff like this but: This *really* is a Black thing. Some of you folks have jumped on the offended bandwagon without having ANY idea of the term. "Uncle Tom" is a political putdown? LOL.....seriously, some of you need to read up. How foolish is it to get offended by something you DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND!!

Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Definitely. And it's a great example of how blacks can be racist toward other members of their own race. It's like saying a black person is bad or wrong for supposedly acting like a white person. It's a term that brings disgrace and is never meant in a nice way.
In your opinion, what constitutes “acting like a white person?”

Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
Quote:
Nonsense. When i call someone an Uncle Tom, 9 out of 10 times it hasn't a damn thing to do with politics and everything to do with personal behavior.

Allen West is an Uncle Tom in my opinion, and it has nothing to do with his political leanings. It has everything to do with the fact that he attacked Keith Ellison and did it in a personal manner that had nothing to do with politics.

In any case, you have the right to your opinion. I disagree strongly.

So if an Uncle Tom is a black man putting another black man down, who decides which one is the Uncle Tom? If they both believe they are doing what is right, who gets to decide who is the Uncle Tom if it isn't about politics?

Last edited by Isitmeorarethingsnuts?; 04-19-2011 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies