Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 08:25 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
A little thing I like the call the Constitution (which give neither Congress nor the Executive, any authority whatsoever to involve itself in that issue.

Keep to the code.
So, you're saying there are no Federal laws regarding anything that is not specifically set out in the Constitution?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
...Incorrect, again. If Alaska passed a law that prohibited homosexuals from driving, and it was equally applied to all homosexuals, then there is no violation of the 14th Amendment...

Thankfully you're not a Constitutional lawyer!

If what you posted above were true, the SCOTUS could have never ruled against the miscegenation laws. Afterall, blacks had the ability to marry within their race, just like whites. Equal protection under the law, according to you...

Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
How about:

EVERYONE IS TREATED EXACTLY THE SAME UNDER THE LAW WHETHER THEY LIKE TO SLEEP WITH MEN OR WOMEN, OR ARE MALE OR FEMALE?

Is that good enough for you? I'm sorry that I don't have a court case to cite from some idiot liberal judge that can be interpreted to prove the point.

Use some common sense...no one is being denied anything because we are all treated exactly the same under the law. If you argue for same-gender marriage you have to argue for polygamy, child marriage, etc if you want to be consistent.
Let me tell you what is explicity and conspicuously absent from the above post: what I asked for. Legal authority to back up your opinion.

My argument is not just opinion. I have legal sources to back it up.

Your argument is worthless, because you have none.

Go find some, or realize that such a search would be a waste of time for you, because:

a) you have no idea how to do legal research, and;
b) you can't find something that does not exist.

So no, your uninformed, unresearched, uneducated opinion is not good enough.

You are simply wrong. Even the lawyers for your side agree.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem baptist View Post
Agreed.

I have not known one single person who's pro-gay marriage agenda except the handful of extremists on this forum.

Sounds like you need to get out more. Even here in the "bible belt" I've met lots of straight people that are in favor of allowing same-sex marriages, simply because they recognize the obvious inequality in the current laws.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:55 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,934 times
It makes perfect sense though - Pauline Kael is apocryphally quoted as saying she couldn't understand how Nixon won in 1972; after all, only one person she knew even voted for the man!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:59 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Let me tell you what is explicity and conspicuously absent from the above post: what I asked for. Legal authority to back up your opinion.

My argument is not just opinion. I have legal sources to back it up.

Your argument is worthless, because you have none.

Go find some, or realize that such a search would be a waste of time for you, because:

a) you have no idea how to do legal research, and;
b) you can't find something that does not exist.

So no, your uninformed, unresearched, uneducated opinion is not good enough.

You are simply wrong. Even the lawyers for your side agree.
You have yet to actually give me one reason that people having equal rights is somehow not equal.

I can get married to anyone of the opposite gender that I want...within certain parameters. So can any other man in America.

How EXACTLY is that discrimination? Please be specific. At this point you've just been spouting hot air while claiming to be smarter than everyone else.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Those people are misguided. It doesn't make the quote valid.

Yes, actually it does. You said it yourself - we're taught that God is a loving God.

If someone's version of "God" hates, then it is safe to assume that person has remade "God" to fit what they want it to be.

No?

Old 04-20-2011, 09:07 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
You have yet to actually give me one reason that people having equal rights is somehow not equal.

I can get married to anyone of the opposite gender that I want...within certain parameters. So can any other man in America.

How EXACTLY is that discrimination? Please be specific. At this point you've just been spouting hot air while claiming to be smarter than everyone else.
Because the law says we get to choose who we want to marry, without restriction based on protected classes.

A man can't choose to marry a man, solely because he's a man. But a woman can.

Why is a woman allowed to marry a man, but a man isn't? Sex discrimination.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:09 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Because the law says we get to choose who we want to marry, without restriction based on protected classes.

A man can't choose to marry a man, solely because he's a man. But a woman can.

Why is a woman allowed to marry a man, but a man isn't? Sex discrimination.
We can all marry someone of the opposite gender. It's equal treatment for everyone. The fact that you can't do it your own way is irrelevant.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Lies. I gave you several, as well as cites to legal authority. And not for the first time.

At this point, you are simply being dishonest, and it is obvious to all here.

You are simply wrong. Even the lawyers for your side agree.[/

Tell us why we should believe you, instead of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies