Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:00 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Um .. it's not so much what you say .. but more in how you say it.

The Constitution assumed that most or all speech would be presented in a respectful manner .. therein lies the freedom ..

No one has the freedom to be disrespectful .. and no where in the Constitution does it say that you can be abrasive, disrespectful and antagonistic when presenting your opposing view ..

If somebody came up to me with mouth wide open spewing hate in a disrespectful manner, I would be much obliged to closing it for him in whatever manner I deemed appropriate .. I, under the Constitution of the United States of America .. have that right .. he infringed upon my liberty, peace, and happiness, and I simply squared him away on his misguided notion of respect.
The Constitution did not presume that most or all speech would be presented in a respectful manner. Are you crazy? The attacks on Jefferson, Hamilton, Burr were in no wise respectful.

Freedom is not in how free speech is expressed, but in how it is received. And when you respond to things you disagree with violently, you are the one who is trying to shut people up. That's not about freedom of speech. That's about YOU being unable to deal with other's freedom of speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
And your standard was an unrealistic to apply in all places with all people.

You don't? Looks to me like they did.

No, it can prove many more things than stupidity. It can prove physical superiority, or in this case, superior numbers and political clout.

Again, it is like walking head first into high-speed traffic because you have the right of way. Good luck with those "rights" of yours.
Physical superiority, superior numbers and political clout. In case you didn't know it, the Bill of Rights were designed to protect the minority viewpoint from "physical superiority, superior numbers and political clout." Hence, the actions in Mississippi were not about freedom of speech, but about tyranny. And those of you who support tyranny are being most un-American.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Mobs only consider their RIGHTS to matter. Everyone else's RIGHTS, particularly to be different and sometimes insulting, do not exist. That makes it a LOT simpler for Simple folks to understand.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:03 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You've talked about majority community wishes superceding the law and now you speak of a national majority. Which one are we talking about?

Forget I mentioned Muslims, if a community was 51% black you'd be OK if they decided, and after all they are your trusted majority, white folks should pay a higher property tax rate?

Majority rule may sound good on paper but is that really the case?

I don't really give a rat's ass if the Phelps gang gets its ass kicked from now 'til Sunday but saying it's fine to allow it because they talk stupid is a door I don't think I want to enter.
I suppose that we could go on splitting hairs all day long, but what purpose would that serve?

My point is that the majority of Americans, will make the rules .. rules that will benefit the country as a whole, and not just some segment (like it is now).

Save your people of color argument for the racists ..

Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I suppose that we could go on splitting hairs all day long, but what purpose would that serve?

My point is that the majority of Americans, will make the rules .. rules that will benefit the country as a whole, and not just some segment (like it is now).

Save you people of color argument for the racists ..
You do realize that your argument is the argument of a bully? It's all about force and coercion. And it's un_Constitutional, to boot.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Physical superiority, superior numbers and political clout. In case you didn't know it, the Bill of Rights were designed to protect the minority viewpoint from "physical superiority, superior numbers and political clout." Hence, the actions in Mississippi were not about freedom of speech, but about tyranny. And those of you who support tyranny are being most un-American.
Tyranny is when we are "forced" to tolerate the intolerant .. The WBC is an intolerant lot, and most true Americans absolutely will not tolerate them ..

So ... what was your point again?

Old 04-25-2011, 10:07 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
In case you didn't know it, the Bill of Rights were designed to protect the minority viewpoint from "physical superiority, superior numbers and political clout."
No, they weren't designed to protect JUST the minority. They protect all Americans.

You can believe that these laws are enforceable, but I do not.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:07 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:

Save you people of color argument for the racists ..
Rules or laws?

They're apparently quite different in your view.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
You do realize that your argument is the argument of a bully? It's all about force and coercion. And it's un_Constitutional, to boot.
Ya think? .. How much less of a bully is it that promotes special interest in favor of the WBC? Hmmm?

Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
And in practical terms, no matter how big and tough you are you'll eventually meet someone bigger and tougher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies