Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:37 AM

24,813 posts, read 24,468,730 times

Advertisements

I'd say that Rock n' Roll hasn't faded, nor will it ever do so.

There is a lot of Rock still out there, but its been broken into various different entities. Alt rock, soft rock, classic rock, grunge rock, etc.

The same thing is happening with rap. It used to be only three or four main rap groups. Now rap artists have ventured into other parts of the music world, and it'll be broken down just like rock was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,065,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
But it's faded in popularity. 20-45 years ago the top rock bands were household names that just about all Americans were familiar with. Today there are many rock bands that are popular with rock fans that are basically unknown outside of the rock subculture.
It's always been that way, though.

If it's not part of the Top 100 billboards, then it's unknown to the public.

My particular brand of music comprises of The Protomen, Muse, Sonata Arctica, Abney Park, Kamelot, Within Temptation, The Gathering, and Lacuna Coil.

Only 2 of those bands could be feasibly known by the general public. One because she toured with Ozzy, the other because of Guitar Hero.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:45 AM

28,338 posts, read 16,473,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Now, what is Cow-punk?? I've heard of Punk-Rocker..........

I think I'm showing my age,......... this girl is just plain "Rock" what they now call Classic!!

Pssssst.

Cowpunk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,711,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Now, what is Cow-punk?? I've heard of Punk-Rocker..........

I think I'm showing my age,......... this girl is just plain "Rock" what they now call Classic!!
Actually... Cowpunk has been around since the late 70's around the time that rockabilly was starting to make a commercial comeback. Think twangy Hank Williams meets the sex pistols. I played in a cowpunk/psychobilly band for a while and boy was it fun

As for hip hop, basically none of my friends listen to it as a genre and I'm 27. I suppose it all kinda starts sounding the same after a while musically which is why I don't listen to it, except maybe sparingly. Will it fade? Probably, but it will most definitely evolve into something new, just as rock has done.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:52 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,930,065 times
When I think of Rock 'n' Roll I think of old school delta blues migrating and modernizing to the electric guitar. Elvis, Chuck Berry, Cream, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and so on. Basically music that was highly based on the pentatonic scale.

Now I think most people think of modern mainstream rock as ''Rock''.

If modern rap died, I wouldn't complain. I do like some old school hip hop.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,331,799 times
Hip hop is the dominant music of the culture nowadays. It aint going anywhere. Even music that you don't think of as being hip hop is still hip hop or at a minimum, hip hop influenced.

Hip hop was shot out of the same cannon that every other popular musical form came out of. Rock isn't dead either...and it never will be.

And just like great rock and roll stars like Chuck Berry, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Eric Clapton or John Lennon will be lionized 100 years from now, so will RUN-DMC.

Deal with it.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:05 PM

956 posts, read 1,117,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Implying that rock has faded...

e: I do concede that hip-hop and rap and R&B are more popular around people my age. A crying shame, but oh well.
Hey what's wrong with R&B?

Old 04-25-2011, 02:09 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,350,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
The poster probably don't know him/herself.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:14 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,733,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Nothing wrong with it actually. I don't really listen to it much but I think it's a fine genre.

I'd just like to hear something beyond the top 40 (which is largely either pop or hip hop) blaring out of speakers at, well, everywhere.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:15 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,522,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Will hip hop fade away like rock & roll? Or can hip hop survive?

When did Rock N'Roll fade away?

What music does is that it is constantly evolving. Styles and genres blend into new music types. It's been this way since the beginning of music.

No music style ever fades away, it just changes into something new.

I still listen to classical music - Bach, Telemann, Schubert and Vivaldi aren't going anywhere, so why should Rock n'Roll or Hip Hop/Rap?

Music is like fashion, there's still a lot of classic styles that stick around, they get remade and reworked into something different and modern all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies