Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:15 PM

25 posts, read 43,449 times

Advertisements

And just like great rock and roll stars like Chuck Berry, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Eric Clapton or John Lennon will be lionized 100 years from now, so will RUN-DMC.

I seriously doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 02:19 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,014,770 times
As a former DJ I've learned to like and appreciate all styles of music. The only music that I really don't have an ear for (with the exception of a few songs) is country. As favorites I lean towards old school metal from thrash metal (Metallica, Slayer, Pantera...ect..) to hair band (Skid Row, Warrant, Poison), and hip hop, though I'm not a fan of a lot of the newer stuff. I guess I'm showing my age as well, but also when the club that I worked at a few years ago shut down, I didn't stay up as much with the current hip hop. So I guess with the exception of a few things post 2008 I've become less of a fan of the current hip hop. I'll take the 90's hip hop any day over the current stuff. I also like classic rock like Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Aerosmith... ect... Hey, I guess I love all music! Nothing wrong with that!

Old 04-25-2011, 02:38 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,784,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Will hip hop fade away like rock & roll? Or can hip hop survive?
i think hip hop will be coopted into another popular musical form, just like "Rock and Roll" was.

of course, everybody knows that the next big thing in music will be the Russian Red Army choir covering Skynyrd. Globalization in action.

YouTube - Red Russian Army Choir & Leningrad Cowboys

Old 04-25-2011, 02:57 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,587,086 times
Rock & Roll has not faded away & neither will Hip Hop! It's been around since the late 1970s and is a true form of music!

no1brownsfan? I think we can all agree how much "country" music sucks!

Old 04-25-2011, 02:58 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,314,350 times
I'm still not sure what hte difference is between rap and hip hop. They sound the same to me. On another note "Long live rock...be it dead or alive"

Old 04-25-2011, 03:03 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,318,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Hip hop is the dominant music of the culture nowadays. It aint going anywhere. Even music that you don't think of as being hip hop is still hip hop or at a minimum, hip hop influenced.

Hip hop was shot out of the same cannon that every other popular musical form came out of. Rock isn't dead either...and it never will be.

And just like great rock and roll stars like Chuck Berry, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Eric Clapton or John Lennon will be lionized 100 years from now, so will RUN-DMC.

Deal with it.
Twenty years ago my manager at work asked me if Hip-Hop was going to last I told him I really didn't know. He said he didn't think so. Twenty years later we've got have major Hip Hop artist and producers worth over $100 million dollars. I smile every time think about the conversation.

The WORST person to ask "If something will last" is somebody that doesn't understand the culture or people that create the music.

Hip Hop will evolve it's different now than it was 10 years ago and ten years from now it will be different than it is today.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:05 PM

68,353 posts, read 54,539,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Will hip hop fade away like rock & roll? Or can hip hop survive?
What makes you think R & R has faded away?

Old 04-25-2011, 03:37 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,672,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Rock & Roll has not faded away & neither will Hip Hop! It's been around since the late 1970s and is a true form of music!

no1brownsfan? I think we can all agree how much "country" music sucks!
Careful now... 'country' is a pretty huge genre to peg. I myself am a bluegrass mandolin player so I have a certain affinity for twangy acoustic numbers... But if you're talking about top 40 country then yes, I agree the vast majority is crap.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:53 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,308,651 times
Every five years or so someone says that rap is just a fad, which they have been saying since the early 80s.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,282,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson37650 View Post

I seriously doubt it.
Doubt anything you want. No form of popular music has ever disappeared. They're all still here, even if in a diminished state. And they'll always be here. Hip hop, much to YOUR chagrin, will be no different.

If you can't deal with that little factoid, too bad. I can't help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies