Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the US do with Puerto Rico?
Make them the 51st state 28 38.89%
Give them independence 44 61.11%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:57 PM

15 posts, read 59,500 times

Advertisements

Should we make them a state or give them independence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 05:02 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,745 times
Statehood. I prefer to directly integrate all 5 US territories directly into the US proper. The 1998 referendum was almost evenly split between those who wanted statehood and those who wanted to keep the part colony/part state "Commonwealth/Estado Libre Associado" status.

Only about 5% of the Puerto Rican population wants independence. None of the world's 30 or so remaining colonies desire independence, why should they when they have the best of both worlds?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:03 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,670 times
I'm a Puerto Rican that wants statehood.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:08 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,852 times
From what I understand it's not what the rest of the US wants to do with Puerto Rico, but what Puerto Rico wants to do with Puerto Rico. They've held votes many times to see if they should move for independence, statehood, or remain a commonwealth of the US. They've voted mostly to remain a colony because they get a fair few benefits without the drawbacks of being a state.

I'd vote for them to stay where they are, if they want to become a state then that'll happen eventually.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:12 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,726,552 times
Take away the cash that flows to Puerto Rico and see how fast they cry for independence.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
From what I understand it's not what the rest of the US wants to do with Puerto Rico, but what Puerto Rico wants to do with Puerto Rico. They've held votes many times to see if they should move for independence, statehood, or remain a commonwealth of the US. They've voted mostly to remain a colony because they get a fair few benefits without the drawbacks of being a state.

I'd vote for them to stay where they are, if they want to become a state then that'll happen eventually.
While its been sometime since I've talked to a native, my understanding is that most Puerto Ricans want statehood.

The main reason I've heard that they've had issues is that they don't have enough year around residents to apply for full statehood.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:17 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,545,084 times
I say statehood but really they should be the ones voting on it.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:22 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post

The US does not have colonies, but the US does have territories. Unlike with colonies, Puerto Ricans were made US citizens. Puerto Ricans also elect their own territorial Governor and created their own constitution (which Congress ratified).

Puerto Rico falls under Article IV, Section 3, Clause 2 of the US Constitution:

Quote:
The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.
That puts the disposition of Puerto Rico in the hands of Congress, not in the hands of Puerto Ricans.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:44 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The US does not have colonies, but the US does have territories. Unlike with colonies, Puerto Ricans were made US citizens. Puerto Ricans also elect their own territorial Governor and created their own constitution (which Congress ratified).

That puts the disposition of Puerto Rico in the hands of Congress, not in the hands of Puerto Ricans.
Territory is a PC term for colony ex. the 14 remaining British colonies are now called "British overseas territories" since 2002. They may be self governing to a degree but they are basically colonies in all but name. The difference is that the British are much more "hands on" with theirs than we are with Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the US Virgin Islands, and the Northern Mariana Islands. We basically let them do whatever they please over domestic matters as long as it adheres to the US Constitution. The British colonies still have appointed governors in silly uniforms who have the final say on all government matters despite the local elected legislative bodies.

The US and the UK (aka the British) are the only countries that still have colonies in the traditional sense. France, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, and the Netherlands have external areas but they have all been directly integrated into the ruling country.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:55 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

My bad. I didn't mean to address Puerto Rico as a colony, I really did mean to say "territory"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies