Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gender Neutral Bathrooms in Public Places
Are a great idea and should be required nationwide 7 10.00%
Are a crazy idea and should not be required nationwide 42 60.00%
Accommodations should be made for people who identify with another gender 8 11.43%
Accommodations should never be made for people who identify with a different gender 15 21.43%
Should be created by raising taxes 5 7.14%
Should be created by private funds 18 25.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:22 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's gathering more steam and could be a reality.

Of all places... in Maine.

Journal Tribune: York County's Only Daily Newspaper > Archives > Editorial > Bathroom bill would cause confusion, distress

What do you think of public establishments requiring a gender neutral bathroom?

Should gender defined bathrooms be eliminated?

What are the cons and pros of having gender neutral bathrooms?

*** The poll is multiple choice ***

I don't see how the article you posted suggests a "push" for government mandated or elimination of "male/female" bathrooms in favor of "gender neutral" bathrooms. More like an editorial suggestion that it should be considered as an alternative to the bill being considered that will actually cause problems for transgendered people.

The article discusses a bill being brought by a lawmaker that would require bathroom use to be dictated on one's "biological gender." The point of the editorial about same is that transgendered people exist, and they will often use the bathroom of their "inner gender," even if their plumbing (so to speak) doesn't match what's going on in their head. Why a man or woman would ever have a problem sharing a bathroom with a transperson is beyond my comprehension, and indeed, the article says there is no need for the bill being proposed.

I don't agree with adding "gender neutral" bathrooms, because I don't think it's a problem that if you're living as a transwoman or transman, you should be able to use the corresponding sex bathroom. It is my impression that most transpeople would not or do not want a segregated area "for them." They want to be able to pass and live as their inner gender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I don't see how the article you posted suggests a "push" for government mandated or elimination of "male/female" bathrooms in favor of "gender neutral" bathrooms. More like an editorial suggestion that it should be considered as an alternative to the bill being considered that will actually cause problems for transgendered people.

The article discusses a bill being brought by a lawmaker that would require bathroom use to be dictated on one's "biological gender." The point of the editorial about same is that transgendered people exist, and they will often use the bathroom of their "inner gender," even if their plumbing (so to speak) doesn't match what's going on in their head. Why a man or woman would ever have a problem sharing a bathroom with a transperson is beyond my comprehension, and indeed, the article says there is no need for the bill being proposed.

I don't agree with adding "gender neutral" bathrooms, because I don't think it's a problem that if you're living as a transwoman or transman, you should be able to use the corresponding sex bathroom. It is my impression that most transpeople would not or do not want a segregated area "for them." They want to be able to pass and live as their inner gender.
I don't see a transperson male-to-female as a FEMALE.

I wouldn't want to share a public bathroom with a man. I absolutely would not want to share a bathroom with a man who thinks he's a woman.

If you don't think that after the McDonald's beating that there won't be a push for gender neutral bathrooms, or allowing men who are transgender to use a woman's bathroom you're dreaming.

Here's a story from 2007.

Quote:
Kelly, a 19-year-old transgendered UVM student who did want her last name published, said she's been made to feel "very uncomfortable" in rest rooms.
"I think that they're a really important thing to have," she said of the new facilities. "Just because there can be tense situations in gendered bathrooms, especially for trans-identified people, you need a space to use the rest room and feel safe and comfortable."
In 2003, UVM started retrofitting male and female restrooms into unisex bathrooms in classroom and administrative buildings by changing the signs, at $100 each.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294633,00.html

Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
I don't get it, why would we need this? If a man turns into a woman use the womens restroom and so forth if a woman turns into a man or use one of those unisex restrooms, this is just stupid.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

There are plenty of articles available online that prove students are pushing to have gender neutral bathrooms on campuses.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:51 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I don't get it, why would we need this? If a man turns into a woman use the womens restroom and so forth if a woman turns into a man or use one of those unisex restrooms, this is just stupid.
[/thread]

Can't argue with the thoughtfulness nor intelligence in this post

Old 04-27-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
So in your world I get to pee with the trannys and you don't have to pee next to a female to male transexual they go to the Unisex bathrooms.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:04 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Hooray, shorter lines for women.
And more stalls for men since women's rooms usually have twice as many or more. I'd like to see the square footage of men's and women's rooms be within +/- 10% of each other.
Anyway, I try to avoid most public restrooms whenver possible since most are not clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Are you going to send your 11-year old daughter into a bathroom full of men?
Why not? It's not like all the guys are suddenly conspire to peep on her or something. Or maybe your concern is that your 11-year old daughter might get the guys' phone numbers os she can send text messages and explicit self-photos to them? It seems thats what a lot of young girls are doing these days.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:08 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,386,215 times
They already have them on Cape Cod. It says His/Hers above the door. It consists of one toilet, a sink and a method of drying your hands. I could care less if there were several stalls and both men and woman used them as needed. Everyone is there to do the same thing Big deal. If you are worried about your kids, go in with them.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:13 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
If you have a penis, use men's room.
If you have a vagina, use women's room.
Everyone has one or the other even if it's mangled.

Enough of this nonsense with 'females' running around with penises and considered ladies.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:16 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I don't see a transperson male-to-female as a FEMALE.
Well, they do. And if they get the required plumbing switch, then they have the requisite parts to match.

Most transgendered would only consider using the opposite sex bathroom if they are living as the other sex.

We're not talking drag queens or beareded men dressed as women sneaking in to use the ladie's room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem
I wouldn't want to share a public bathroom with a man. I absolutely would not want to share a bathroom with a man who thinks he's a woman.
This is a transgendered woman:

What insecurity do you have that makes you uncomfortable to share a restroom with her? She would certainly be more welcome (and it would be more appropriate for her to be) in a woman's bathroom than the men's bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem
If you don't think that after the McDonald's beating that there won't be a push for gender neutral bathrooms, or allowing men who are transgender to use a woman's bathroom you're dreaming.
Which bathroom do you suppose she should have used, looking the way she does and living as a woman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies