Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 11:13 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
What contradicts what, exactly?
Those cities you cite having terrible schools also happen to exist in states with the highest rates of college grads as a percentage of total population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 11:16 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Your friend posted this list of 10 best schools in the us and most of them were in the cities, cities that are usually much more liberal than states they are located in.
Well, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Regardless, most big-city school districts in the US are horrible. You've really never heard the term "inner-city school" used as a euphemism for "really bad school?"
But your reply didn't respond to my point anyway. The poorest areas in the deep south are solidly Democrat. Poverty and bad schools go hand-in-hand. Therefore, the worst schools in the south are most likely in Democrat districts. And that's that.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Those cities you cite having terrible schools also happen to exist in states with the highest rates of college grads as a percentage of total population.
Which proves....absolutely nothing. Where are you from, exactly? You don't know that the words "city schools" means about the same thing as "the bubonic plague" in most major metro areas?

Old 05-13-2014, 11:24 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
So we have stats showing that blue liberal states are generally more affluent and fiscally support the poorer and conservative red states (with the exception of Texas) and you still argue otherwise. Why?
Are you being intentionally obtuse? The comment of mine you quoted actually wasn't about that at all. I was both pointing out the hypocrisy of liberals when it comes to the South and also explaining that our new success has been as a result of our getting rid of the old Southern Democrats. It takes time to overcome the damage the Democrats did to the South.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Which proves....absolutely nothing. Where are you from, exactly? You don't know that the words "city schools" means about the same thing as "the bubonic plague" in most major metro areas?
Southern Ct (a/k/a "The Gold Coast"). Went to college in NYC. Many Inner city schools are bad, but NYC also has some of the finest public schools in the nation. Several are also in the "inner city".

We need that northeastern dark blue "best rate" of college graduates as % of pop to spread. We are not making inroads in the rural Southeast. That is keeping state unemployment up, and keeping state median income down. We need rural America to join us in the 21st century. Nashville metro is fine, and many of its successful counties have steadily raised their rates of higher education. But w/o rural America stepping up, the Southeast will not fare well.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Southern Ct (a/k/a "The Gold Coast"). Went to college in NYC. Many Inner city schools are bad, but NYC also has some of the finest public schools in the nation. Several are also in the "inner city".

We need that northeastern dark blue "best rate" of college graduates as % of pop to spread. We are not making inroads in the rural Southeast. That is keeping state unemployment up, and keeping state median income down. We need rural America to join us in the 21st century. Nashville metro is fine, and many of its successful counties have steadily raised their rates of higher education. But w/o rural America stepping up, the Southeast will not fare well.
I went to boarding school in CT. Something I've noticed in the Northeast is the enormous competitiveness of the students on college acceptances. It's ingrained in the culture there. Nowhere, even the West (including liberal states) has this same culture. I'm curious to know when and how it started for the Northeast.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:

Yeah, NYC has like three top high schools, in a city of 8 million people. The rest of the high schools are things that parents flee in terror from. And the Philadelphia graduation rate, which you held up as something to be esteemed, is a whopping 66%.
Public school graduation rate: 66% | Philadelphia Public School Notebook

Old 05-13-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I went to boarding school in CT. Something I've noticed in the Northeast is the enormous competitiveness of the students on college acceptances. It's ingrained in the culture there. Nowhere, even the West (including liberal states) has this same culture. I'm curious to know when and how it started for the Northeast.
Northeast is older (settled earlier), and they had huge gains in pop during Ellis Island heydey. Many, like my parents who were high school depression era dropouts ($), realized education was the key for their kids. They valued it, not lip service.. true involvement.even though their kids were learning things they could not fully grasp.

Rural Southeast got by, for decades, by competing on cost, for low value industries, like textiles. They have to do what my parents did..venture into uncomfortable turf..higher education. Textiles fled to Asia, and if we try to compete solely by being cheaper, someone on the planet will be cheaper still. Southern cities like Nashville get it. Southern rural areas have yet to get it.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
So we have stats showing that blue liberal states are generally more affluent and fiscally support the poorer and conservative red states (with the exception of Texas) and you still argue otherwise. Why?
Because your stats are overly broad, that's why. The poorest counties in Mississippi voted overwhelmingly Democrat in the last election. There's no reason to think the situation is any different in most other states. Those poor who you're supporting in the "red states" are largely Democrats. If you can't understand that, you're not intelligent enough to discuss political issues. And that's that.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Northeast is older (settled earlier), and they had huge gains in pop during Ellis Island heydey. Many, like my parents who were high school depression era dropouts ($), realized education was the key for their kids. They valued it, not lip service.. true involvement.even though their kids were learning things they could not fully grasp.

Rural Southeast got by, for decades, by competing on cost, for low value industries, like textiles. They have to do what my parents did..venture into uncomfortable turf..higher education. Textiles fled to Asia, and if we try to compete solely by being cheaper, someone on the planet will be cheaper still. Southern cities like Nashville get it. Southern rural areas have yet to get it.
This does emulate my own family's experience in many ways. My father came from a family who actually discouraged him to go to college but he saw education as the path to success. My mother - she's blue blood material so she was always that way. Interestingly enough, even after my father's success, my cousins on that side of the family still eschew education as the path to success. Obviously, my own father's experience and success with education led to my own attitude about education and is leading to my own daughter's attitude as well. Interesting how quickly it can change though if people simply realize that embracing education is indeed a pathway to success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies