Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Going into busy shopping malls, restaurants, etc etc must mean the economy is awful...... lol.
We should try not to listen to polls. I'm sure that sooooooo many everyday Americans are looking in depth at the economy with their calculators in hand....... nah they are just listening to the media.
I used to go to the mall to window shop a lot as do many. But inside the stores they were clearly not doing well. And with my current budget (food cost doubled over two years ago) I take forever to shop, carefully checking prices. Full stores don't count. How many checkstands are open is a much better gauge.

The local stores are half deserted at the end of the month and it takes twice as long to check out with a couple of checkstands open over half of them at the start of the month.

We need to look at SALES. How are sales of things other than food going? How many people have been picking between a and b to pay? Look at that first.

When you don't figure in the cost of food and fuel, all the stats are nonesense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,555 times
who cares? Obama got usama

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
More Than Half Still Say U.S. Is in Recession or Depression

Yeah, what do the uneducated masses know? They are the ones on the front line, losing jobs, homes and paying through the nose for gas.

Poll: Obama is losing public's confidence on economy | McClatchy

If only the election were tomorrow, he would be gone.

Maybe the uneducated masses are right, considering these numbers.

Q1 GDP report: Economic growth slows - Apr. 28, 2011

The so-called experts are constantly "unexpectedly" "surprised".

Obviously, the economy is taking it's toll on obama's approval rating.

42% Approve, 49% disapproval today.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I used to go to the mall to window shop a lot as do many. But inside the stores they were clearly not doing well. And with my current budget (food cost doubled over two years ago) I take forever to shop, carefully checking prices. Full stores don't count. How many checkstands are open is a much better gauge.

The local stores are half deserted at the end of the month and it takes twice as long to check out with a couple of checkstands open over half of them at the start of the month.

We need to look at SALES. How are sales of things other than food going? How many people have been picking between a and b to pay? Look at that first.

When you don't figure in the cost of food and fuel, all the stats are nonesense.
Super Target near me. 25 checkouts. Never seen more than 4-5 open.
Built just when the bust happened. All those subdivisions under plan failed to appear. Nice, huge store but it's like a ghost town when you walk through it. A smaller Target would have sufficed.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:06 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,372,560 times
With the cost of fuel rising everything else follows suit. The economy continually gets worse.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 PM

664 posts, read 773,428 times
4.29/gallon here now. Everyone conveniently forgets that as gas prices rise, so does everything else in this country. Food costs have soared this year, getting more and more expensive just to buy enough groceries to survive. Yeah, the stock market is doing great so that must mean the economy is getting better. Screw the people who can barely afford to drive to work and pay for the ever increasing cost of food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies