Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:20 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
They just don't read the information and facts/links.........they want to believe what they wish to justify their homophobia and hysteria!
Ahh the old homophobe charge. Talk about not reading or sticking to facts.

If you paid any attention on these boards you would know that I oppose DOMA and support gays right to marry whomever they please. They should have that right just as much as I should have the right to be repulsed by 2 guys or 2 butchy women making out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 10:16 AM

175 posts, read 302,474 times
It's funny because the majority of people who I've seen bothered by this either have never been in or aren't in any more so it doesn't even affect them. It's extra funny when it's the ones who have never even been in because they don't know even know the first thing about what it's like being in a unit outside of movies and they throw out things about unit cohesion and such as though they understand. I'm not saying that every service member is okay with this but we have some racists, sexists, and people who just generally don't like each other or approve of each other's behavior (we aren't all one militaristic robot) but we still make it work.

In most units I've been a part off, everyone knows who's gay already anyway. Not because they're obvious but just because no one made a big deal about so it might get mentioned offhand. Not saying everyone's so accepting but I don't see this military wide freakout happening with people trying to get out and like I said you can have people with disagreements in how they're living their lives while still keeping unit cohesion in that you trust that they'll do their job and have your back, gay or straight. Just to comment on the "but its gross to see them with another guy factor", I know a guy who has an obese wife who is pretty nasty looking. No one wants to see them making out and we kinda think he's crazy for it, but he's still our buddy who we trust with our lives over there. You don't have to approve of who they're making out with to trust them. The two gay men in my unit are strong and fully capable and I trust them completely.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:44 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Funny how adult language often frightens the sissies. And renders them impotent to respond.
Funny how some think that more words make for better arguments.

What's to respond to? An unfounded postulate that not having a policy of kicking out gay servicemembers will reduce the efficiency of the armed forces, a hand-wringing complaint that teaching the servicemen what the UCMJ now says on the subject is a waste of time, topped off with a "You'll all admit I was right when the Canadian hordes come over the border".

Old 05-01-2011, 06:05 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,857 times
So, how long before the witch hunts begin?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:11 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_double_d View Post
It's funny because the majority of people who I've seen bothered by this either have never been in or aren't in any more so it doesn't even affect them. It's extra funny when it's the ones who have never even been in because they don't know even know the first thing about what it's like being in a unit outside of movies and they throw out things about unit cohesion and such as though they understand. I'm not saying that every service member is okay with this but we have some racists, sexists, and people who just generally don't like each other or approve of each other's behavior (we aren't all one militaristic robot) but we still make it work.

In most units I've been a part off, everyone knows who's gay already anyway. Not because they're obvious but just because no one made a big deal about so it might get mentioned offhand. Not saying everyone's so accepting but I don't see this military wide freakout happening with people trying to get out and like I said you can have people with disagreements in how they're living their lives while still keeping unit cohesion in that you trust that they'll do their job and have your back, gay or straight. Just to comment on the "but its gross to see them with another guy factor", I know a guy who has an obese wife who is pretty nasty looking. No one wants to see them making out and we kinda think he's crazy for it, but he's still our buddy who we trust with our lives over there. You don't have to approve of who they're making out with to trust them. The two gay men in my unit are strong and fully capable and I trust them completely.
The chickenhawks are by far the worst offenders when it comes to all the incorrect superstition.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:39 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
I suspect that this training is unwarranted for the great majority of Marines. Unfortunately, that great majority can thank a handful of their least productive, most troublesome peers, for having to be trained on how to behave like proper, mature twelve year olds.

It's pretty much like any other social training in the workplace, requiring 100% of people to attend training to avoid problems caused by the bottom 1%.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:58 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_double_d View Post
I'm not saying that every service member is okay with this but we have some racists, sexists, and people who just generally don't like each other or approve of each other's behavior (we aren't all one militaristic robot) but we still make it work.
And this, of course, is what it boils down to. I was lucky enough to do my service in a peacetime army, and there were most definitely people I didn't like in my unit, but it simply didn't matter. They'd save my sorry butt like I'd save theirs.

Thanks for your service.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:48 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times
Mark Bingman.....a gay man who was among the leaders of the passengers who kept United Airlines Flight 93 from hitting it's intended target.

United Airlines Flight 93 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mark Bingham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About the Fog | Fog Rugby

Old 05-02-2011, 10:58 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Ahh the old homophobe charge. Talk about not reading or sticking to facts.

If you paid any attention on these boards you would know that I oppose DOMA and support gays right to marry whomever they please. They should have that right just as much as I should have the right to be repulsed by 2 guys or 2 butchy women making out.
ROFL.......your posts speak for themselves......sounding like eighth grade school yard rhetoric.

And you expect to be taken seriously and respected......stick to the thread subject with less childish interjections; however many posters who cannot win a debate in an intellectual fashion use the same divisive tactics.....like Yeledaf for example.

I thank you both and others like you for often making my points for me with your style of posting.......I don't need to say a word.......with these type of posters.....or reply........your posts speak VOLUMES!!!!

However I think you are sincere and are not trying to be condescending.....

More than I can say for some posters in this thread. I hope "these children" do not reproduce.....for children should never have children of their own until they mature themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies