Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:26 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,531,081 times

Advertisements

As our Military prepares to allow gays to serve their country openly, new procedures are being implemented to allow for a smooth transition fron DADT.

If a Marine sees two men kissing, off duty, he is to react no differently than if it were a man and a woman.

A Gay service member can exercise his freedom of speech rights and be able to participate in a Gay Pride Parade without harassment.

They are to be allowed to go to Gay Bars off duty......and no hate speech will be tolerated. If a Marine hears such comments he is to remind his fellow Marines that discrimination and slurring are not appropriate military behavior.

Training should be finished by June 1, 2011. General James Amos, the Marine Corps Commandment, states: "There has NOT been the anxiety over it from the forces in the field".

Let me add my mate of 28 plus years served his country for over 8 years fighting in Vietnam.......but had to remain "in the closet".

Finally one chapter of Government sanctioned and condoned discrimination is coming to an end.........one battle at a time.......this battle has been won, but more are on the horizon, as Gays fight for equal marriage rights.

Marines get trained on accepting gay recruits | News Story on 365gay.com

Marines Get Trained on Accepting Gay Recruits - ABC News

Marines get trained on accepting gay recruits - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/04/28/ap/national/main20058192.shtml - broken link)

Sexual orientation and military service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BLUE= Gays can openly serve in the military.....the U.S. should NOW be Blue.
ORANGE= Gays banned from serving; repeal underway.....this only WAS the United States.
RED= Gays banned from openly serving.
GRAY= No Data Available.

Looks like the United States is finally joining the developed world on some social issues!!! Even Russia allowed Gays to openly serve their country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 10:29 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
As our Military prepares to allow gays to serve their country openly, new procedures are being implemented to allow for a smooth transition fron DADT.

If a Marine sees two men kissing, off duty, he is to react no differently than if it were a man and a woman.

A Gay service member can exercise his freedom of speech rights and be able to participate in a Gay Pride Parade without harassment.

They are to be allowed to go to Gay Bars off duty......and no hate speech will be tolerated. If a Marine hears such comments he is to remind his fellow Marines that discrimination and slurring are not appropriate military behavior.

Training should be finished by June 1, 2011. General James Amos, the Marine Corps Commandment, states: "There has NOT been the anxiety over it from the forces in the field".

Let me add my mate of 28 plus years served his country for over 8 years fighting in Vietnam.......but had to remain "in the closet".

Finally one chapter of Government sanctioned and condoned discrimination is coming to an end.........one battle at a time.......this battle has been won, but more are on the horizon, as Gays fight for equal marriage rights.

Marines get trained on accepting gay recruits - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/04/28/ap/national/main20058192.shtml - broken link)

ORANGE= Gays banned from serving; repeal underway.....this only WAS the United States.
GRAY= No Data Available.

Looks like the United States is finally joining the developed world on some social issues!!! Even Russia allowed Gays to openly serve their country.
It's amazing how uncivilized the continents of Afreaka and Asia are.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
It's amazing how uncivilized the continents of Afreaka and Asia are.
I agree........I added the map because many posters never click the links.......this way posters can see just how much a NON-ISSUE Gays serving really is in most of the developed world.

It's mainly China, parts of Africa and the Middle East that still ban Gays from openly serving in their Military units.

We WERE in some "bad company" with those countries on this social freedom issue.....now we caught up to rest of the developed world in at least one societal aspect.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:39 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
This is fantastic news. Glad to hear it.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:39 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Army completed the rescission of DADT training.
The rescission becomes effective 60 days after signing the repeal.
That hasn't happened yet.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Army completed the rescission of DADT training.
The rescission becomes effective 60 days after signing the repeal.
That hasn't happened yet.

I'm aware of that, however General Amos states he expects training to conclude by June 1, as I mentioned and nothing is going to stop DADT's repeal now without severe political repercussions!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
This is fantastic news. Glad to hear it.

Thank You>>>>>

Old 04-28-2011, 10:55 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,823 times
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=13475360

From the abc link:

"If a Marine spots two men in his battalion kissing off-duty at a shopping mall, he should react as if he were seeing a man and woman, according to the training materials."

"If he turns on the television news to see a fellow Marine dressed as a civilian and marching in a parade with a banner that reads, "Support Gays and Lesbians in the Military!" he should accept it as a free right of expression"

So, the Gay Marine is entitled to his "free right of expression" but the straight Marine is not; i.e., he is told how to react???

Sounds a tad discriminatory to me! (Not talking physical violence, of course.)

Old 04-28-2011, 11:29 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,171,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post

From the abc link:

"If a Marine spots two men in his battalion kissing off-duty at a shopping mall, he should react as if he were seeing a man and woman, according to the training materials."

"If he turns on the television news to see a fellow Marine dressed as a civilian and marching in a parade with a banner that reads, "Support Gays and Lesbians in the Military!" he should accept it as a free right of expression"

So, the Gay Marine is entitled to his "free right of expression" but the straight Marine is not; i.e., he is told how to react???

Sounds a tad discriminatory to me! (Not talking physical violence, of course.)
Well they are now a new federally protected social class. I would have expected that.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:35 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,171,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post

GRAY= No Data Available.

I hate to point this out but you do realize those nations in blue generally speaking have barely functioning militaries don't you. I mean the russians are trying to impove but they had their asses handed to them by the chechens on a number of occations. I can only hope that by "joining" them, we don't literally "join" them in decreasing the efficiency of our military.

This would be especially important in light of the fact that the chinese miltary is growing quite rapidly not to mention the multiple threats posed by fundamentalist muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies