Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 12:54 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
Let's be honest. We as parents will never know whether or not our kids do these things unless they come right out and tell us. Don't be so sure she never did.
She says she never did, and I do believe her. It would have been so out of character for her to act like that. She'd lecture me if I had a glass of wine at dinner, describing what it was doing to my brain cells and liver! At 13, she got interested in health, temperance, herbs, holistic remedies, vegetarianism, whole foods, etc. Since she was home schooled, we encouraged her to read and learn as much as she wanted about anything she wanted. She now runs a successful whole foods business, and that knowledge that was so nerdy 10 years ago really helps her customers. If she'd gone to public school, I wonder if she'd have taken that path?

Old 04-30-2011, 12:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
She says she never did, and I do believe her. It would have been so out of character for her to act like that. She'd lecture me if I had a glass of wine at dinner, describing what it was doing to my brain cells and liver! At 13, she got interested in health, temperance, herbs, holistic remedies, vegetarianism, whole foods, etc. Since she was home schooled, we encouraged her to read and learn as much as she wanted about anything she wanted. She now runs a successful whole foods business, and that knowledge that was so nerdy 10 years ago really helps her customers. If she'd gone to public school, I wonder if she'd have taken that path?
My publically educated son who is now 20 has the moral compass of a puritan. He didn't get it from me, must have been public school....

If your D had done anything different she could have gotten involved in any number of things that would have had a hugely positivie impact on her and her life could be 10x better than it currently is. Who the hell knows? People only "what if" the negatives becasue they want to.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:06 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I laugh in the face of those who jump on the "private school" bandwagon as a cure to the public school ills. OMG..the stories I could tell you about my private school experiences. And the stories my H could tell you about his Catholic school experiences. There is no perfect system of education, there isn't. Not in public school, private school, or home school. Parents will always have the most influence if they are any kind of parent at all, and sheltering kids 24/7 isn't good parenting no matter how you slice it. I can see upsides and downsides to everything and most of it depends on the parents, the kids, and how a particular school works for them. Blanket statements about anything are usually stupid.
I support public schools, private schools and homeschooling. If you don't you are an idiot. That's a blanket statement I can stand by.
Very good post. My husband and I were both public school teachers. I am in favor of whatever type of schooling works best for a particular child. Of my own two children, one was public schooled K-12, the other was a combination of private/public.

I have no problem with home/private schooling, if it is done properly. On the other hand, I have taught more than a few home/private schooled disasters - students who entered high school woefully unprepared for higher math (my subject area).

For the most part, it all comes down to parenting. Involved parents produce good students, whether they be public, private, or home schooled.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
My oldest was successfully home schooled for 3 years. Her curriculum included algebra, English, and French. She was also crammed with history - not just from the text books - we visited many historical locations for "hands on". She's been to Gettysburg, Washington, D.C., Mount Vernon, Monticello, even Laura Ingalls Wilder's home. Depending on what was pertinent to what she was studying. The young lady is now a successful business woman - she owns her own business, with two locations. Also, happily married. And seeing the success she's made of her life IS a treat to my ego. What she HASN'T done is get arrested, get pregnant out of wedlock, had numerous sex partners, drink underage, or try drugs.
Good for your daughter!

My DD#1 is 27. She went to public schools K-12, then a private, Christian college (her choice, not mine) and a public university for grad school. Aside from some underage drinking at the Christian college, she has never done the above either.

DD#2 is 23, soon to be 24. She too went to public K-12, a Christian college for two years, then into that "den of iniquity" the University of Colorado for her final two years of undergrad. She is about to start grad school at a public university. Again, other than underage drinking at the Christian college, and some at CU I guess before she turned 21, she hasn't done the above in bold either.

We took our kids to all the above, too, except Laura Ingalls Wilder's birthplace, but we did go to S. Dakota where she lived for a while, and we've spent a lot of time in Minnesota, where I believe she lived as well. We also took our kids to ~46 of the US states and Canada while they were growing up. Do you think parents who use pubic schools don't do those things?

Old 04-30-2011, 01:13 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Involved parents produce good students, whether they be public, private, or home schooled.
Absolutely!

Old 04-30-2011, 01:13 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
You'll never know. She sounds like she would have been placed in an honors/Advanced Placement program, where her classmates would have been as smart or smarter than she. Perhaps being surrounded by smart, challenging peers would have spurred her to achieve to a much higher level.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:15 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Does the NRA have a list of schools they endorse? That might be helpful for CD posters.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:24 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Quote:
I laugh in the face of those who jump on the "private school" bandwagon as a cure to the public school ills. OMG..the stories I could tell you about my private school experiences. And the stories my H could tell you about his Catholic school experiences. There is no perfect system of education, there isn't. Not in public school, private school, or home school. Parents will always have the most influence if they are any kind of parent at all, and sheltering kids 24/7 isn't good parenting no matter how you slice it. I can see upsides and downsides to everything and most of it depends on the parents, the kids, and how a particular school works for them. Blanket statements about anything are usually stupid.
I support public schools, private schools and homeschooling. If you don't you are an idiot. That's a blanket statement I can stand by.
You really have to support all because all are for different reasons. If you work and cannot home school then public school does you a service, if you can afford it private school does you a service. If you can home school than you are doing your own service.
But, I might add to the people who discredit home schooling, people are capable of educating themselves without the aid of a school system. It is a fact that most do it well. Surprise! Relying on others is just a choice or a service, not a need.

Study after study has been done to prove that the social aspect of home schooling is indeed provided. Here are a few if really interested:
Homeschooled Kids: But What About Socialization?

Old 04-30-2011, 01:28 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Does "teaching" = "indoctrination"? Explain the difference.

No. Teaching involves facts, not evaluations and opinions.

If you don't know the difference you might try reading about it.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:29 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
That's not what they are teaching them. It is a well known fact that in THIS country the government is supposed to be run by the PEOPLE. I know they aren't teaching that anymore and that is the problem. What THIS is teaching is to become dependent on the government and become a useful marxist idiot.
The Federal Curriculum, Government Subsidized Text Book makes no mention of the Ninth or Tenth Amendments when discussing the rights protected under The Bill of Rights. Our children are being taught that there are no rights reserved for the states or the people. Only the Federal Government has rights. Scary stuff for those of us who do not favor a Totalitarian Government.

Check out the book, America's Schools: The Battleground for Freedom, by Allen Quist. You will find lots of information in and lacking in this Federal Curriculum of which most people are unaware. (Second Amendment Rights seem to be missing also.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies