Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:36 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,981,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
What US president has NOT acted in such a way? I can't think of a single one who didn't punish states who didn't vote for him or in which he didn't like the governor or a mayor.
Mind providing some examples of a president vindictively withholding help for a request by a state in the case of an emergency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 06:38 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,764,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Perry needs to put his money where his mouth is, and deal with the problem himself. I swear, states are such babies, seems like they can't operate without a bit of federal welfare

I'm sure the people of Texas would gladly withhold their income tax payments and forget about Federal disaster assistance for wildfires.

Is that what you are suggesting?

Old 04-29-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
What US president has NOT acted in such a way? I can't think of a single one who didn't punish states who didn't vote for him or in which he didn't like the governor or a mayor.

So tell us some stories....

Old 04-29-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I thought they were praying for rain?? I also thought Texas didn't want to be apart of the union? Didn't they turn down stimulus money? Perry needs to hide in a very dark place.

I'm sure the people of Texas would love to sever that relationship and keep all of their federal taxes.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:27 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,658,860 times
Quote:
Well from a libertarian standpoint, state disasters are always handled by the states and local governments first, which they are. Texas has a big National Guard that can handle the situation.

FEMA is a useless organization. Haven't learned from Katrina, no use relying on a clumsy, elephant-like agency like it. The fire would have burned out the whole state before they send the first truck in!
FEMA was an effective agency until Bush gutted it to create the department of homeland security.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:30 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,908,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Wait a minute. Isn't this same Rick Perry who bragged Texas didn't any any federal stimulus money? Isn't this the same Rick Perry who chastised Obama for even pushing for the stimulus bill? Isn't this the same Rick Perry who goes on about bloated federal spending and the need to cut back?

Well...I guess his "priniciples" only extend to the point where he wants some of that federal spending, huh? First, it was Obama's fault for offering federal money, and now it's his fault for NOT offering it.

Come on, Rick. Ya can't have it both ways.
Sure he can ... He's a Texan

Old 04-29-2011, 09:18 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,226,543 times
Well,....Texas didn't like Obozo the first time he ran, and odds are pretty good he won't take Texas in 2012. It is quite apparent that the Dither-in-Chief has a personal grudge against the state. Obozo's Presidential responsibilities take a back seat to his huge ego.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 PM

306 posts, read 355,514 times
Default H y p o c r i s y

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If one person dies due to Obama "dithering", it should be an impeachable offense.
Did you feel this way about the people in New Orleans when Bush screwed up the response to Katrina?

Why not? Oh! Wait! Silly me! Most of those people were nig...um, I mean, "the blacks".

Rick Perry talks trash about the federal government, he talks of secession, then he turns around asking for money to buy flu vaccines and now he wants help with the fires. "Big Guv'mint" is good when he needs something.

I wonder how many of the people who lost their homes were Tea Party types who want to dismantle the federal government but will be first in line for a hand-out from the very government they want to destroy.

Oh yeah, how is that "prayer for rain" going? Y'all must not have enough faith down there. Either that or God disapproves of your state. In fact, seems like God disapproves of quite a few of the redneck conservative bible belt states (Alabama, etc ...).

But y'all just keep on praying. Anything that keeps you occupied and out of our way is a good thing.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:24 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,812,274 times
The administration is "taking it under consideration."
They'll get around to it. It's not like half the state
is on fire or something. Oh wait.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:36 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,972,572 times
Leave lil' Rick Perry alone.

Quote:
Perry needs to put his money where his mouth is, and deal with the problem himself. I swear, states are such babies, seems like they can't operate without a bit of federal welfare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies