Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:48 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,207,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
YEAH IT IS OUR F'ing business when you can't your border is wide open and you've got illegals and drugs coming in droves. Oh it's the Federal government's problem? I thought Texans could take care of themselves?
Is your state doing any better controlling its border with Mexico?

And yes - it is the federal government's duty to protect national borders. Texas doesn't have enough money and people to go it alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 10:51 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,836,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Nonsense!!! “Four years of football are calculated to breed in the average man more of the ingredients of success in life than almost any academic course he takes.”-Knute Rockne . Football is not just another sport among many, Football stands alone, especially in the youth and High school years. In this world today one of the most pressing issues is the lack of real men, young boys growing up not knowing who, what or wear they should be, go or do. Football is a training ground for success in life for young men.....Texas is ground Zero for that endeavor. I would suggest everyone buy this documentary and you might begin to get just a hint of some of us already know!
Then how is it that the NFL seems to have to highest % of illiterate players of any major sports? And they seem to have the least amount of common sense when it comes to abiding by the law?

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 05-02-2011 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-02-2011, 10:57 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,044,244 times
I mean this thread is such a great reflection of just how ignorant American parents are. No pass no play are you serious? I mean what does it take to pass? C average? D average? I mean are those the expectations you have for your kids? Yes of course there is more to life than academics. But when you've got MILLIONS of Indian kids and Asian kids hungry for a middle class lifestyle your kids aren't gonna have a chance competing in a global economy. 18-25 year olds are already the most disenfranchised group of Americans with some of the highest unemployment rates in the country. I love it every time some NFL player is interviewed...........they can throw a ball and put a mean tackle on a guy......yet can barely put together a grammatically correct sentence in English. But they passed and they played right?

The issue is bigger than Allen, Texas and their stupid stadium. The issue is America and the US economy is circling the drain because its citizens and parents in this country have their head so far up their rear end they can't think for themselves and are too preoccupied with meaningless crap like how much weight Kim Kardashian lost or who is the crown champ of American Idol or how many free shots Kobe Bryant made last game. It's pathetic. Look at our kids..........YOUR KID may not be but kids in America have turned into a bunch of whiney, spoiled, the world revolves around them, junk food eating whimps. I live in Orange County and the helicopter moms around here make the moms in Allen, Texas look like June Cleaver. It's a joke! Most of these kids are going to grow up in a COMPLETELY different world than the past generations of Americans. They'll be happy if they can pay off their college loans by the time they die.

And yes the school in California is a joke and an utter waste. But that's why CA is in the state it is in. There is waste all over this country right now. The problem with America and people in places like Orange County and Allen Texas is they live in a bubble. The rest of the country is bleeding..........45 million Americans are on food stamps........how many children live in poverty? Our infrastructure rates on average a D all over the country.............I mean problem after problem after problem..............yet most American kids along with their parents can barely understand the basic principles of how their economy functions and how money is created. Yet they ***** and complain when the cost of food and gas go up like their spoiled children who are taught to believe that there's no such thing as losing......you're just not the first winner. LMAO!

America is like the Titanic........when most people pull their head out of their a#@ and realize there is no turning back it will be too late. If Dumbo gets elected for another four years it will be the nail in the coffin or worse a Donald Trump or Sarah Palin............pretty sad to see people in Texas stand behind a moron like Donald Trump when they've had Ron Paul serving their state for decades. How many Texans voted for Ron Paul in the last Presidential Election?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Let's face it most of the folks in TEXAS, or anywhere else are no different than the Roman mob 2,000 years ago. They like violent entertainment and will pay millions to build places for their entertainers to play.

Math classes, physics labs and computer stations are simply not exciting enough to bother funding. Who cares that the nerds not the football players will make the future? The mob needs to be entertained. The future be damned.

That's how it is in PA, although not quite an insane as Texas. When there's a controversy over high school football, like hiring/firing a coach, etc, the school board meeting will be packed to the gills, yet when the topic of the meetings involve academics, there's tumbleweeds blowing through. What priorities the adults in this country have....no wonder we're being left in the dust academically compared to other developed countries.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Is your state doing any better controlling its border with Mexico?

And yes - it is the federal government's duty to protect national borders. Texas doesn't have enough money and people to go it alone.
Trust me I'm as big a critic of this pathetic state as anyone else. California used to be something..........but it's been destroyed by corrupt state and local governments, special interests, and illegals. So no my state isn't doing anything better. But atleast I can buy raw milk commercially in grocery stores! So my state does enjoy some of the most basic freedoms many other states don't.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The taxpayers voted on it.
And I'll bet those same voters who voted to waste taxpayer money on an NFL-quality high school football stadium would vote to cut funding for early childhood education, new textbooks, school lunches, services for the poor, etc.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:07 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,227,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
YEAH IT IS OUR F'ing business when you can't your border is wide open and you've got illegals and drugs coming in droves. Oh it's the Federal government's problem? I thought Texans could take care of themselves?
Texas does have an illegal immigration problem, but after all it does have the longest common border with Mexico.

California has the shortest shared border with Mexico of any American state, and still has more illegals than Texas.

California has a drug problem not unlike that in Texas, but protection of America's borders falls to the federal government,...that would be both illegal entry and passage of illegal substances over the border.

If California is doing so well, then why is it sending delegations to Texas to determine why Texas is gaining businesses,....and California is losing them?

I fail to see how this is tied to your opinion regarding the football stadium in Allen, Texas.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
That's how it is in PA, although not quite an insane as Texas. When there's a controversy over high school football, like hiring/firing a coach, etc, the school board meeting will be packed to the gills, yet when the topic of the meetings involve academics, there's tumbleweeds blowing through. What priorities the adults in this country have....no wonder we're being left in the dust academically compared to other developed countries.
Yes but like the idiot parents and apologists in this thread........hey we have you pass you play rules...........lol........I think back on my high school career and all the As, Bs, and Cs, I received. I mean to receive the Cs that I did I had to do jack squat basically. I couldn't even imagine how little you had to do to receive a D and barely pass a class. LMAO!

I was talking to a Russian lady the other day who just moved here with her daughter and is in the 3rd grade. She was utterly shocked at how behind her daugher's class was in math compared to their Russian counterpart. But it doesn't surprise me...........my own niece and nephews when they can manage to sit still long enough to even do their homework and when their mom isn't busy on Facebook.......can barely do basic math and division. But when it's time for my nephew to go to his football game wow......it's like the entire household drops everything and it's all about the game. LMAO! Video games and football............who needs academics?

Old 05-02-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Texas does have an illegal immigration problem, but after all it does have the longest common border with Mexico.

California has the shortest shared border with Mexico of any American state, and still has more illegals than Texas.

California has a drug problem not unlike that in Texas, but protection of America's borders falls to the federal government,...that would be both illegal entry and passage of illegal substances over the border.

If California is doing so well, then why is it sending delegations to Texas to determine why Texas is gaining businesses,....and California is losing them?

I fail to see how this is tied to your opinion regarding the football stadium in Allen, Texas.
You must have played football ......lol......reread my post. I have no sympathy for the state of California. And you're exactly right. I never said CA is doing so well. I said it USED TO BE a great state with plenty of opportunity for hard working middle class Americans. Now it's turned into a plutocracy..............rich and poor/destitute. Texas it seems is going the way of California. And the Texas public education system is in no way any better than CA. Just because business and enterprise is moving to Texas does not mean the state is doing better. Are Texas kids better educated than their California counterparts? Are Texas hospitals doing better than CA hospitals? Are Texas students graduating with less student loans than CA students? I could care less if Microsoft or Google moved their head quarters to Texas. It means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 AM

20,484 posts, read 12,409,348 times
For the liberal, hearing that a high school (especially a high school in TEXAS) is spending $60M on a football stadium is beyond their capacity to process. We have seen this in the OP and the following comments from fellow liberals. I mean really, lets blow that $60M on poor kids so they can get a better education (or some such).

Please note the word “blow” emboldened above. It does NOT mean I believe spending 60 million on poor kids is a waste of money.

However, if you spend that 60 million dollars it is gone. It can’t be gotten back. That is if you spend it building a math lab in a poor neighborhood.

What liberals aren’t taking into consideration here are several things.

First, the bonds for this are local they are not state and no federal dollars were murdered in the building of the stadium. And those bonds were voted on and passed by 60% of the voters. That kind of vote means that something must be right about the whole process….

Second, those from outside the state of Texas may not know that we have a law here in Texas that insures poorer districts receive adequate funding. Basically affluent school districts lose funding once their tax base rises above a certain threshold. These districts then must find alternative funding sources to continue to offer above national average educations.

Allen is such a district.

In addition to the funding issues it should be noted that Allen ISD holds the highest rating given in Texas. It is an Exemplary District (official rating) and the Allen High School as a campus holds that same rating of Exemplary School. These are not kids who are suffering because Sixty Million dollars are being blown on sports and not on building math labs.

Please note there is that word “blown” again. It does not mean I believe spending 60 Million Dollars on Math Labs is a waste of money.

This 60 Million Dollars comes from the locals because the locals know they need to get revenue to continue to provide a very high standard education for their students. This money isn’t being blown because the money spent will be used to make money. The fact is, this is a $60M investment in all the kids in Allen. The rich kids and the poor kids alike, the football players and those other kids that will never once step into the stadium in their entire time in Allen ISD will all benefit from this investment.

The reason is, you can only get this money once. Because it is a bond, it isn’t consistent enough to consider it a revenue stream and thus use it to hire teachers. Nor can you insure revenue to the district if you build a math lab.

However, if you take that money and use it to create something that will drive up revenue that is consistent and cannot be taken by the state to fund other districts (I have no problem with this law in Texas by the way), you can use that consistent revenue to hire more teachers, provide things like math labs and expand science centers AND to have long term plans based on solid economic models using real data about district income from all sources.

Allen ISD is whipping the pants off the rest of the nation where academics is concerned. These kids do compete on an international level in math and science. They are going to college and doing well because they have a solid foundation and the school ratings prove that point.

Last edited by Ferd; 05-02-2011 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies