Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:02 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times

Advertisements

stop beating up the proverbial bush
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 10:10 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
EXACTLY!

Bush humbly congratulated him on a job well done.

Dallasites have shown great respect towards Bush at his home in Dallas. He's had a whole lot of **** to contend with over the past 10 years. Bush is the one of started this whole "war on terror" thing anyways. Bush is the one who passed the Patriot Act.

Bush is the one who said "I hear you & soon the whole World will hear you to the ass hat at ground zero". The man didn't back down one bit & was't afraid of what people though about it either. Gotta love us Texans! We don't give a damn what others think.
Bush did indeed show class in the way that he congratulated Obama. It's the second part of your post that puzzles me. Why do you believe that plunging our country into 2 unnecessary wars and enacting the patriot Act were good things? We have lost many American lives and spent billions on war; we have also lost many civil liberties that we enjoyed before 9-11. Despite what Bush crowed about, the terrorists won by forcing us to be tethered to the gov't's eyes and ears for years to come.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Foxnews has interviewed every single person that worked for George Bush and all of them start with the same line:
"We have to thank George Bush for the work that he did .....bla bla bla .... bla bla bla and also the .... the ..... pres .... i ..... dent"
I was really surprised that they thought to thank President Obama.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:35 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And while the OP is at it, they can list from start to finish, what Obama did to get Bin Laden, making sure nothing done to kill him had taken place during the Bush administration, because reports show the current activities began 4 years ago...

One might ask why Obama didnt show great leadership by giving credit where credit was due..
He did give credit where credit was due. Perhaps you missed the announcement or maybe you need to listen and watch it again.

John Brennan also gave an excellent, fairly detailed press conference today where he described how the whole situation evolved.

Here are some links

C-SPAN | Capitol Hill, The White House and National Politics

http://today.msnbc.
msn.com/id/34730079/

White House Press Conference Video, Transcript May 2, 2011: Osama Bin Laden Death | Shallow Nation

Old 05-02-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Why is George Bush trying to take credit for the operation that killed Bin Laden.
George Bush had 7 years to do it, and he couldn't do what Obama accomplished in 2 years.

What's more hilarious is the 1000s of time that I had to hear "George Bush is not president anymore"

'Blame Bush' Strategy Wears Thin as Obama Enters Second Year - FoxNews.com

Karl Rove: The Blame-Bush Game Plan Won't Work - WSJ.com

Poll: Public wants Obama to stop blaming Bush | Matthew Sheffield | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2009/05/poll-public-wants-obama-stop-blaming-bush - broken link)

I don't think it's GWB actually doing it: he has people doing it for him though.

Tonight, I purposely tuned in Hannity to see how he would comment on the events. He had Rudy Giuliani on. There was more old footage of GWB than of Obama making the announcement. Hannity did not even mention Obama's name during the first couple of minutes. Unbelievable.

It was a very desperate, transparent and pathetic effort to link GWB to the capture/killing of OBL.

Does this Hannity guy think that everybody has amnesia?

I distinctly remember GWB state that he didn't know where OBL was and that he didn't care.

GWB and his administration were absolutely obsessed with Saddam Hussein and Iraq.

Osama bin Laden became Osama bin Forgotten during the Bush years.

Now Fox News wants to make it look like GWB was responsible for capturing/killing bin Laden. Ppff...

Old 05-02-2011, 11:09 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I don't think it's GWB actually doing it: he has people doing it for him though.

Tonight, I purposely tuned in Hannity to see how he would comment on the events. He had Rudy Giuliani on. There was more old footage of GWB than of Obama making the announcement. Hannity did not even mention Obama's name during the first couple of minutes. Unbelievable.

It was a very desperate, transparent and pathetic effort to link GWB to the capture/killing of OBL.

Does this Hannity guy think that everybody has amnesia?

I distinctly remember GWB state that he didn't know where OBL was and that he didn't care.

GWB and his administration were absolutely obsessed with Saddam Hussein and Iraq.

Osama bin Laden became Osama bin Forgotten during the Bush years.

Now Fox News wants to make it look like GWB was responsible for capturing/killing bin Laden. Ppff...
I am sorry to say this but I watch Fox all day and found none of what you accuse Hannity of to have taken place all day. Now you trying to make what Hannity says as the feeling of Fox is so liberal but not very true. For some reason even Obama admits that the CIA and other of our intelligence groups continued to look for him all during the Bush years. I guess you didn't hear Obama say that catching him was not important during the campaign.

Someone waterboarded somebody and found out through painstaking work where he was and told Obama last summer where it was. I don't care at all why we waited so long but do think there may have been something political involved in the timing of it all. It all started with some of that enhanced questioning the libs howled so much about while Bush was in office that led to the end of it all. Another example of Obama going on with Bush's methods no matter what he said in the campaign.

Can you help the OP explain about Bush trying to take credit for it all? He does need help.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,811 times
GWB comment on bin Laden:

Quote:
BUSH: "We haven't heard from him in a long time. ... Terror is bigger than one person. And he's just -- he's a person who's now been marginalized. ... I just don't spend that much time on him... we haven't heard much from him. And I wouldn't necessarily say he's at the center of any command structure. And, again, I don't know where he is. I -- I'll repeat what I said. I truly am not that concerned about him. I know he is on the run.

March 13, 2002
Comments by then-President George W. Bush
Georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov

Old 05-02-2011, 11:40 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
You must have something in your ears. I heard 3 times today what Bush said, he did not once take credit for this, but gave props to Obama, for a job well done. I tape everything, so i have it later, things of importance, he did not say anything like this at all. He thanked our Military, our Cia, This Administration, all people involved. Talked to those who lost loved ones on that terrible day. He is so happy he is dead, saw another clip tonight of him talking, he is beside himself with happiness that he is dead. Last thing he said was Thank you Obama and God Bless America.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am sorry to say this but I watch Fox all day and found none of what you accuse Hannity of to have taken place all day. Now you trying to make what Hannity says as the feeling of Fox is so liberal but not very true. For some reason even Obama admits that the CIA and other of our intelligence groups continued to look for him all during the Bush years. I guess you didn't hear Obama say that catching him was not important during the campaign.

Someone waterboarded somebody and found out through painstaking work where he was and told Obama last summer where it was. I don't care at all why we waited so long but do think there may have been something political involved in the timing of it all. It all started with some of that enhanced questioning the libs howled so much about while Bush was in office that led to the end of it all. Another example of Obama going on with Bush's methods no matter what he said in the campaign.

Can you help the OP explain about Bush trying to take credit for it all? He does need help.
I do not routinely watch Fox News. They turned me off a long, long time ago. I do not know who is on at what time or anything of the sort.

After reading some threads on CD where some posters tried to directly link GWB to the capture/killing of OBL, I decided to tune in Fox News to see if this narrative was coming from them. Let's face it: some posters have a habit of regurgitating what they see on TV or hear on the radio but they lack what I call the "spinning skills" the professionals have and end up sounding like poorly informed fools.

When I purposely tuned into Fox last night, Hannity just happened to be on. I say purposely because most of the time I just surf the channels. I admit that I did not watch his entire show only the first few minutes. What I did see with my own eyes was an inordinate amount of old GWB footage intertwined (and at times inserted) into the footage of Obama's announcement. GWB is not in office. He did not give the order to go into Pakistan and kill OBL. GWB did not go on TV to announce the capture/killing of OBL. So, why insert so much footage of GWB? Why interrupt the replay of Obama's announcement? Maybe you did not notice because you watch it all the time and have become used to it or desensitized to it.

To me, it came across as a blatant manipulation of the message in order to influence my opinion. Sorry, but in my line of work I deal with manipulative people all the time. I can see this behavior from a mile away, and I don't appreciate it. If Hannity wanted to recap the search for OBL from the beginning, he should have included Tora Bora. Battle of Tora Bora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. But he didn't. Not in the first few minutes that I saw.

I changed the channels after Rudy Giuliani started to extoll the virtues of "enhanced interrogation" techniques. They can use all the euphemisms they want: it's torture anyway you look at it. It doesn't matter to me if it is effective or not. The moral compass instilled in me by my family and the nuns who educated me tells me it is wrong. I can't help that. It churns my stomach.

In retrospect, perhaps GWB did have something to do with the capture of OBL. Namely, he showed Obama how not to go about it..

Perhaps the OP perceived things in a similar light as I did. I don't know if GWB has deliberately tried to link himself to OBL's capture, but it sure looks like the people who have been carrying water for him for years are doing just that.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:28 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Foxnews has interviewed every single person that worked for George Bush and all of them start with the same line:
"We have to thank George Bush for the work that he did .....bla bla bla .... bla bla bla and also the .... the ..... pres .... i ..... dent"

They SHOULD thank President Bush. It was Bill Clinton that chose to IGNORE Bin Laden for eight years after and only used him as an excuse to distract the media from his impeachment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies