Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 11:29 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Coming from abroad and having travelled around the World i just cannot understand why so many Americans are so Gullible.
Before you start jumping up and down, let me explain.
There are millions of Americans who's life is in the dumpster. Not because they are lazy or not working or incapable but because the waring party system in the USA and the biased media have told them that the present system ruling America is just 'fine and dandy"..... "just needs tweaking'. The problems in the USA went past "tweaking" years ago.
The 2012 elections are starting to get into gear and watching the candidates that are coming forward and explaining how they will make change is frightening. It's ALL been said before, it's all been promised before, it's all turned out to be B/S before....... and the good hard working everyday Americans fall for it EVERY TIME.
The system here does not allow change. It is too fragmented with too many fingers in too many pies and too many "chiefs" and not enough "Indians". Whoever gets in as President CANNOT make any real change. If real change is put on the table to make life better in America for the majority of Americans, it is either voted against in the House or Vetoed by the President...not because it is bad change but because of party politics. I love watching change that was a NO NO and voted down by a party suddenly becomes a great idea when they are out of power or running for election or a bill put forward that is popular with Americans and voted down suddenly becoming a priority by the opposing party and THEIR version is much better... amazing how they didn't have a 'version" or it wasn't a priority when they were in office. eg.......... Health wasn't even looked at in the Bush administration but when Obama was voted in with a mandate to change health care and put forward health reform, suddenly the Republicans had "a plan". This works both ways and each party is guilty of doing this.
Watching Newt Gingrich telling the Americans that he knows what Americans want is now the first shot in the election battle that will "tell" Americans what they want and Many will believe it. The media...Fox, CNN etc etc will now show polls that will show whatever they want them to show and Americans will believe it. Out of context snippets of speeches will be shown and Americans will believe it..... 'AND THE BEAT GOES ON'
Try something new America..... turn off the biased media.... sit down with your family and make a list of what is wrong and right in America today. What needs to be changed, "tweaked" or stay the same and how can things be improved for the benefit of America and hard working Americans.
STOP being told what you want by both parties and STOP being gullible. This is your Country.
Being a legal resident and soon to be citizen i am amazed how America is dominated by the self interest groups and the Everyday American gets sh*t on and then says "thank you".
Let the politicians know that they are talking to Americans who are NOT going to be brainwashed and that they will now have to do more than tell Americans what they think or want.
YOU have the vote and the power..... Use it for America...not for the "Elite Fat Cats"
I've always wondered: why are foreigners so easily brainwashed by their country's anti-American propaganda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 07:41 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
As others have said gullible people come from all over the world however Americans tend to be less knowledgable & less educated the virtually all other 1st world countries plus they're more insular meaning they don't just not know about the rest of the world but they honestly don't care that they don't know. The dumbing down of of educational standards (always spear headed by the right because they're afraid science might be taught instead of religious myths) has produced a people so ignorant and so poorly informed they don't even know when the politicians out right lie to them.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:26 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
As others have said gullible people come from all over the world however Americans tend to be less knowledgable & less educated the virtually all other 1st world countries plus they're more insular meaning they don't just not know about the rest of the world but they honestly don't care that they don't know. The dumbing down of of educational standards (always spear headed by the right because they're afraid science might be taught instead of religious myths) has produced a people so ignorant and so poorly informed they don't even know when the politicians out right lie to them.
You are so right.
When i talk to people here about Europe etc i am amazed at how little they actually know about the outside World. When i ask where they get their info or form their opinions about the World or even domestic issues they tell me from the media.... it must be the media as many have no personal experience of anything except their local news, in fact many have never left their own County or State. This is not a indictment on them but it is a reason why the media and politicians can lie and be believed as many are not equipped to disagree with what they hear... not anyones fault that they can only go on the misinformation especially if the misinformation enforces their particular personal leaning or views.
One thing that comes across from this thread and many others is that many Americans have strong views on things like Religion, Politics, the gay question, overseas politics etc etc etc...nothing wrong with that but when you have a very insular view then you uphold views that you probably wouldn't have if you had the full picture.
To say on here that many Americans are "Gullible" is like going up to a drunk and telling him he has had too much to drink.... He will forcefully say "How dare you, I'm as sober as a Judge" and then fall over into an drunken coma. I expect people here to say "i'm not "Gullible" but how do they know ? lol

Old 05-15-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I've always wondered: why are foreigners so easily brainwashed by their country's anti-American propaganda?
I agree with you and it is the same reason here that many form their World View or even their Political partisanship.... The Media.
America is such a huge Country that the media is the only way to get news of what is going on, unfortunately the media here are so partisan, the news is extremely tainted...same can be said for media in many Countries.
The Internet has now given people in the Middle East a view into what is actually happening in Democratic Countries.... NOT what is shown to them by their media and the backlash is now exploding as they can now see they believed lies...covincing lies, but lies.
Having come from abroad i know first hand how America is percieved abroad and there are many who look at America from biased media but there are also many who respect the USA and understand that America is a great Country that has achieved sooo much in a very short time.
Some media here say that the World hates America...this is not true. America upholds freedom and Countries with Dictatorships indeed hate America as they fear America distabalising their regimes as is now happening in the Middle East.
Gullible is not just a America thing. I have been at a loss when i have spoken to Brits about America and they have such stupid views of America that they get from the media and tv shows. I had a Brit say he couldn't stand America. I asked him if he had ever been to America and he said "No". I asked him how he formed his Opinion and he said he watched TV and saw Americans on there. He thought Most Americans were fat, uneducated and everyone carried a gun. I asked what shows he watched... Starsky and Hutch, Jerry Springer etc was his source of info and he truly believed the B/S on there. He was convinced he Knew about America...... Idiot. I see the same here where biased partisan news media spout such outrageous lies and yet they are believed. I watched Fox news telling everyone about the "Death Panels" etc who control the health of the elderly in the UK, The Govt. in the UK Controling your Health treatments etc....... Absolute Rubbish...yet how would their viewers know it's complete garbage.
As i said earlier it would be great if Americans turned off the media analysis, sat down with their family and wrote down what would make America the Country they want it to be, not decide on biased news reports and political manipulation...remember "Joe the plumber" and many fell for that.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:11 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Coming from abroad and having travelled around the World i just cannot understand why so many Americans are so Gullible.
Soon-to-be citizen, are you? When you've taken the oath of citizenship, will you be running for political office to raise our pathetic standing?

Old 05-15-2011, 11:20 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Default Why are Americans So Gullable?

Mockingbird Lyrics by Carly Simon

Old 05-15-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Soon-to-be citizen, are you? When you've taken the oath of citizenship, will you be running for political office to raise our pathetic standing?
Yes i am thinking of running for office.... obviously not President.... I want to actually give back and not just talk about it.
MY Pathetic standing? "Those who can do...those who can't assume about other peoples "standing"............... lmao.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:43 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
Don't fret too much. Canadians are also gullible. Most of them believe the government should have some kind of active role in their lives and are afraid to speak out against any authority.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
There are millions of Americans who's life is in the dumpster. Not because they are lazy or not working or incapable but because the waring party system in the USA and the biased media have told them that the present system ruling America is just 'fine and dandy"..... "just needs tweaking'. The problems in the USA went past "tweaking" years ago.
The 2012 elections are starting to get into gear and watching the candidates that are coming forward and explaining how they will make change is frightening. It's ALL been said before, it's all been promised before, it's all turned out to be B/S before....... and the good hard working everyday Americans fall for it EVERY TIME.
The system here does not allow change. It is too fragmented with too many fingers in too many pies and too many "chiefs" and not enough "Indians". Whoever gets in as President CANNOT make any real change. If real change is put on the table to make life better in America for the majority of Americans, it is either voted against in the House or Vetoed by the President...not because it is bad change but because of party politics. I love watching change that was a NO NO and voted down by a party suddenly becomes a great idea when they are out of power or running for election or a bill put forward that is popular with Americans and voted down suddenly becoming a priority by the opposing party and THEIR version is much better... amazing how they didn't have a 'version" or it wasn't a priority when they were in office. eg.......... Health wasn't even looked at in the Bush administration but when Obama was voted in with a mandate to change health care and put forward health reform, suddenly the Republicans had "a plan". This works both ways and each party is guilty of doing this.
Watching Newt Gingrich telling the Americans that he knows what Americans want is now the first shot in the election battle that will "tell" Americans what they want and Many will believe it. The media...Fox, CNN etc etc will now show polls that will show whatever they want them to show and Americans will believe it. Out of context snippets of speeches will be shown and Americans will believe it..... 'AND THE BEAT GOES ON'
Try something new America..... turn off the biased media.... sit down with your family and make a list of what is wrong and right in America today. What needs to be changed, "tweaked" or stay the same and how can things be improved for the benefit of America and hard working Americans.
STOP being told what you want by both parties and STOP being gullible. This is your Country.
Being a legal resident and soon to be citizen i am amazed how America is dominated by the self interest groups and the Everyday American gets sh*t on and then says "thank you".
Let the politicians know that they are talking to Americans who are NOT going to be brainwashed and that they will now have to do more than tell Americans what they think or want.
YOU have the vote and the power..... Use it for America...not for the "Elite Fat Cats"

i figure at least 60 to 70 percent are gullible, did you see the expresions on the sheoples faces when the obamanator was running for pres change!!! change!!!,, it looked like the were looking at a god, the truth was they were looking at more of the same crap, just coming out of a different hole.., remember a bs hole will always b a hole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies