Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 07:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

We are in the Middle East because we are the chosen Protector of the Petroleum Cartel and our Military needs a place to practice war and support our military contractors. Note a modern army uses thousands of Tons of oil every day. The Cartel sells oil. There might be a connection. We were also chosen as the protector of Israel so boatloads of Russian Jews could find a home somewhere they could discriminate against all other religions and nationalities.

I suggest reading "The Three Pillars of Wisdom" by T. E. Lawrence as a start on understanding the Middle East. This will not help understanding the Afghanistan, Pakistan, India conflict because that conflict is almost incomprehensible. Kipling's works do help but not all that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 07:04 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yes it is, because of the global economy.

Its not a localized market anymore, just like grain.

So since the middle east has a large portion of the global oil reserve, they effect price. Since they are the most unstable, in order to keep the markets stabilized, they spend our time and energy on them.
We sure have stabilized the heck out of the middle east

Old 05-20-2011, 07:07 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
We sure have stabilized the heck out of the middle east
The idea is, what would it be like without us? Would Iran already have a nuclear weapon? Kuwait would still be gone. Israel would have been overrun. OPEC would be a larger world player. Radical islamists would control these oil reserves. Saudi Arabia at war. Price of oil 300 and 400 dollars a barrel.

All possible if we hadn't interfered over there.

For me, it all starts with Israel, then the Shah of Iran. Those two mistakes were what lead to all of these problems. Otherwise Arabs would be much more isolated, and likely one operating region with little terrorism.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:14 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
By most accounts oil has peaked so the US will never leave the middle east.
Bases are being built for the long term, not the short term.

I am not a greenie, I am a realist.
We need alternative energy and a different outlook.

Our entire ecosystem from suburbia to the Wal-Marting of America (nothing made locally) to food sources is based upon cheap and abundant oil and it is getting scarcer.
I read something last week about the typical meal for a family of four has traveled over 1000 miles.
We're addicted and our journey to a new model unfortunately requires some unsavory elements.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:24 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
How Did it Become America's Job to Clean Up the Middle East

One word, Benjamin. Plastics.

Well, that and the U.S. Interstate Highways system.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:35 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Q: How Did it Become America's Job to Clean Up the Middle East?
A: It started with the thirst for oil, the commies are coming and the resurrection of the Lord.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:44 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We are in the Middle East because we are the chosen Protector of the Petroleum Cartel and our Military needs a place to practice war and support our military contractors. Note a modern army uses thousands of Tons of oil every day. The Cartel sells oil. There might be a connection. We were also chosen as the protector of Israel so boatloads of Russian Jews could find a home somewhere they could discriminate against all other religions and nationalities.

I suggest reading "The Three Pillars of Wisdom" by T. E. Lawrence as a start on understanding the Middle East. This will not help understanding the Afghanistan, Pakistan, India conflict because that conflict is almost incomprehensible. Kipling's works do help but not all that much.
I agree we're there about oil. We're over there as we have been for the last 75 years so we can ensure that they will continue to sell us their oil. We've been using theirs and saving ours. Any resource on earth will finally be used up. When theirs is gone we will begin to use ours and consequently still be able to maintain our military and transportation systems. Did you know that half the abandoned salt mines in this country are filled with oil from the middle east and that we continue to add to it every day? That's where we pump the "strategic reserve." Strategic reserve my arse...we're building new oil fields every time another barge from the middle east shows up. We're smarter than to use up all our oil first and end up totally dependent on a bunch of Arab dictatorships with so much volutility that we couldn't decide from one day to the next what to expect.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
M.G - Excellent point and better strategy. Given the size of our army I wonder why we bother paying for any of the oil. Throughout history all armies have been little more than the grandest of grand theft. Why not ours? We should steal it, store it and let them revert of camel caravans carrying salt.

Interesting. That was written by my inner Viking.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:37 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
M.G - Excellent point and better strategy. Given the size of our army I wonder why we bother paying for any of the oil. Throughout history all armies have been little more than the grandest of grand theft. Why not ours? We should steal it, store it and let them revert of camel caravans carrying salt.

Interesting. That was written by my inner Viking.
LOL...you made me think of one of Donald Trump's political statements about Libya. He said he would TAKE their oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies