Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,200,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
And I don't think that people are being forced to join a union.
If you can't get the job without paying dues you are effectively union member. What needs to happen is non union members do not automatically get the salary and benefits of union member and they have to negotiate the contract on their own. You can bet the union would vehemently oppose that too because the non union meber does not have the expense of union dues and could accept less and still effectively get the same salary and benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 09:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,200,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The OP apparently doesn't understand the concept of the "closed shop." As you accurately observed, go figure.
Why should a union be able to interfere with a contract between a company and another employee?

Old 05-21-2011, 10:14 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,080,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Why should a union be able to interfere with a contract between a company and another employee?
Isn't it a free country when a union and an employer negotiate how they want employment contracts to be handled in their business?

So you want to get government out of everything, but you want to get the government to interfere in order to make business/union deals (private entities) illegal?

There is no one forcing them to take the job.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:47 AM

8,478 posts, read 7,487,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you can't get the job without paying dues you are effectively union member.
Foreign nationals legally in this country have to pay taxes.

Does that make them effectively U.S. citizens?

Old 05-21-2011, 11:13 AM

66 posts, read 117,545 times
Read this libbies:

Will Indiana choose right-to-work? | RedState

Old 05-21-2011, 11:20 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,722,767 times
You people don't seem to understand the concept of "right-to-work" states. Lefties hate the idea that a person may be able to work somewhere without having to pay union dues.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:23 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,029,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
And you are probably there because you want to teach and educate. I applaud you for that.

I know too many that are there just for the pay and benefits and not to mention tenure. Once they achieve it, you find out exactly why they're there and teaching has nothing to do with it.
right.

agree exactly.

people who want to be teachers are obviously in it for the MONEY!

that little smiley face can not roll it's eyes strongly enough to express my feelings on such a statement.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:31 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,352,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I don't know too many teachers like that. I would say that at my school there are probably 2 or 3 teachers like that. Other than that, I would feel fine allowing my child to be in their classrooms.

I support getting rid of tenure and reward teachers based on performance and not seniority. That being said, though teaching is one of the most demanding professions, not physically, but mentally and emotionally. There is pressure coming at you from all directions. The federal, state, county, and city governments expect a lot of teachers. Parents expect a lot from teachers. Teachers expect a lot of themselves. Being in charge of 25-30 students for most of the day is very mentally taxing.

Teacher unions need to get ahead of the curve and be partners is lower the cost of education and reforming what doesn't work.
Those 2 or 3 are the very ones who have caused my wife to resign from this school that she has taught in for 39 years. Of course, they aren't the only reason but all the paperwork involved in government meddling is a heavy contributor to it also.

I wonder what would happen if the 2 or 3 in our school were the ones who decided who was the best people to get the performance awards. I ask this because the 3 that my wife just can't stand any more constantly rail against the principal who all the rest appreciate and support. I always supported that kind of thing when I taught but knew that it would bring on too much butt kissing from many teachers.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:37 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,352,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icewedge the great View Post
THEY don't read things from Red State or any other non-lib spot so you are wasting your time.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:44 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,323,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm a teacher. I'm not in a union. I'm not being forced to be in a union.

It's just another Conservative lie.

Unions membership is probably at it's lowest point in over a century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies