Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want to see this "African Renaissance" Succeed?
Yes 26 65.00%
No 14 35.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:14 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alleyne View Post
United States of Africa-Wikipedia Article

Doing more reading on this, these guys are very ambitious with this. I'm an American guy (yeah, I'm Black also) but the West really don't want to see this happen. This thing would instantly shoot up the ranks to "Heavy Weight" status.

-mad resources to work with

Africa does indeed have one of the richest resource bases in the world. South Africa and the Democratic Republic of Congo together would be a resource powerhouse.

Also, many of those resources are very difficult or literally impossible to extract with Western technology. Have you ever read a list of the deepest mines in the world? Look at how many times South Africa comes up on the list. By seizing African oilfields and mines from Western corporations and interests, you not only make a lot of enemies (some in the very literal sense), but also kick out the only people who can help Africa develop those resources.

-their military would instantly become #1

Maybe in raw numbers, but not in actual military prowess. No African nation has the Power Projection in the league of middle power nations like Australia or Canada. A united African might be able to invade a land neighbor, but would not even be a threat to any European nation for the simple matter it is not able to get troops or equipment over there.

-an overabundance of oil

Well, Sub-Saharan Africa does have fairly large oil reserves with the possibility of having even larger ones. However, the continent of Africa lacks suitable harbors (which is one of the reasons it has remained undeveloped) to export the oil and plenty of other nations have more oil than the continent of Africa.

-tourism would bring in lots a paper

Only three black African nations that I can think of that have a sizable tourist industry are Kenya, South Africa, and Ghana. The rest are either too unstable, too undeveloped, or too obscure. It wouldn't be that big of an industry for quite a long time.

-I'd bet that it'll have a very strong currency

Africa is very underdeveloped and politically unstable. I have a hard time picturing an Africa that remotely resembles anything similar to today's Africa as having a stable currency.

-with the possibility of dual citizenship to every person of African descent...it would have access to the Western knowledge flowing in and out of its borders.

This might be truly positive. Blacks in Jamaica, Bahamas, Brazil, and other nations in the Americas feel a kinship with Africa. Also, a lot of American blacks feel they are just "sorta" Americans and that they aren't really wanted. Africa as a nation might become like Israel. Blacks from all around the world who feel discriminated against or disenfranchised might come over with a renewed zeal and desire to build a land they can truly call their own.

However, you are also dealing with a land where people who have the same race, religion, language, and nationality often kill each other because they pronounce their surnames slightly differently (Hutus with Tutsis for example). When a bunch of Rastas and American blacks start coming in, at first they will probably be well-liked if for no other reason than the novelty, but with their comparative wealth and cultural differences could cause that welcome to be worn out real fast.

Off course, I'm just thinking of the good. Everyone has to get on board with this concept and it's hard to imagine that a continent can turn into a country but whatever.
My text is in bold.

I would also like to add that I am aware Africa is continent and in places where I refer to it as a country, I mean it only in the spirit of this debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 12:20 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Gee, forget about that dual citizenship. Africans are already fighting for survival, they don't want additional burdens on their resources such as land or water.

Liberia has also failed miserably as an experiment in that sense.

African-Americans are much closer to white Americans than to Africans, whether they like it or not.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:50 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Don't be fooled. China isn't investing in African's future, they are investing in China's future. The ONLY reason China is building infrastructure over there is so they (Chinese) can get the resources out of Africa and back into China.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:54 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
The power people in Africa just aren't smart enough to make anything of that continent that would last. Just look at the stupid tribes that live in the middle of the desert with no food and water, they aren't even smart enough to migrate. Then we have the machete massacres that go on regularly. As soon as they get rid of any western ideals, they will fall right back to the 9th century just like Islam, then be taken over by Islam.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
African-Americans are much closer to white Americans than to Africans, whether they like it or not.
Or not.

And i'm not closer to white Americans than to Africans. I'm the person who will determine who i'm closer to, not you or other non-blacks.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The power people in Africa just aren't smart enough to make anything of that continent that would last. Just look at the stupid tribes that live in the middle of the desert with no food and water, they aren't even smart enough to migrate. Then we have the machete massacres that go on regularly. As soon as they get rid of any western ideals, they will fall right back to the 9th century just like Islam, then be taken over by Islam.
That's a statement that is not overly smart, either
a) People have lived in the desert for centuries, they are anything but stupid, they know how to survive there.
b) There is no place for them to move to anyway, cities are already overcrowded, fertile land is already occupied. Let's not forget that they can't just cross borders just because they are sick of the desert.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Or not.

And i'm not closer to white Americans than to Africans. I'm the person who will determine who i'm closer to, not you or other non-blacks.
Except for recent immigrants from Africa, US-American blacks simply are closer to white Americans in every way except mere genetics. Sure, you can tell yourself you are not, fine with me

Old 05-27-2011, 01:08 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
My text is in bold.

I would also like to add that I am aware Africa is continent and in places where I refer to it as a country, I mean it only in the spirit of this debate.
In that case, I have a question for you. This question in particular will address the bold paragraphs you mentioned about dual citizenship. Everything else might tie into that. What would be helpful for people in Africa and the African diaspora abroad? If what you said is true, and I don't know it all to be true, what would be a better solution then? What would you propose? I ask this because I am aware that some African-Americans feel that they aren't really wanted in the USA.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In that case, I have a question for you. This question in particular will address the bold paragraphs you mentioned about dual citizenship. Everything else might tie into that. What would be helpful for people in Africa and the African diaspora abroad? If what you said is true, and I don't know it all to be true, what would be a better solution then? What would you propose? I ask this because I am aware that some African-Americans feel that they aren't really wanted in the USA.
They would not be welcome in Africa, either, even less so than at home. Just like white Americans would not be welcome in Europe if they wanted to move "back".

Old 05-27-2011, 01:17 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
They would not be welcome in Africa, either, even less so than at home. Just like white Americans would not be welcome in Europe if they wanted to move "back".
It is sort of like choosing two sides of the same coin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies