Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2019, 04:41 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,099,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:

Oh now some decide to call illegals.... tourists......hahahaha....
Why not? It seems many are fine with calling illegals on every Hispanic they meet or hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 04:45 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Why not? It seems many are fine with calling illegals on every Hispanic they meet or hear.
And about 9/10 they'd be correct. And if it weren't for birthright citizenship for illegals 9.5/10.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:46 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Man you are trying to split hairs. Spanish speakers can speak a little English but refuse and demand clerks to speak Spanish for them. It's not that complicated.
I believe it is likely he has had spanish customers with very limited english. I do not believe they demanded his staff speak in spanish. Doesn't make sense. That means they specifically came in not order food but cause trouble.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:47 PM

62,985 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I occasionally shop at an Asian grocery store and a Mexican grocery store here in austin. of all the times I've bought food at these stores, none of the employees I've encountered could speak very good, if any, English. I find that odd as these are not small grocery stores. In what other country would employees lacking the country's language skills flourish?
The reason that they flourish is that like these employees their customers haven't assimilated linguistically into our country either. They cater to their ethnic base. It's like having several countries within our country.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:48 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,099,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
And about 9/10 they'd be correct. And if it weren't for birthright citizenship for illegals 9.5/10.
Thank You for showing your colors. That answer tells me everything I need to know about you. Bye Felicia

Old 08-10-2019, 04:50 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The reason that they flourish is that like these employees their customers haven't assimilated linguistically into our country either. They cater to their ethnic base. It's like having several countries within our country.
Yeah it is. And at times like living in a foreign country without even leaving your American town. If I wanted to live in a foreign country, I would move to one. Thanks a lot to the globalist.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:52 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,397,861 times
As an English/Spanish fully bilingual person striving to learn a 3rd language (Nihongo - look it up), this topic forces me to straddle both sides of the proverbial fence.

I've always believed that everyone residing in the United States Of America has an obligation to have a basic command of the English language. English is the language of the land. It's the language of commerce, business, and prosperity. Having a basic grasp of English demonstrates respect for the Host country and towards those with mono-linguistic limitations.

My position on this one? If you live in the USA, make sure you - at the very least - have a basic grasp of the English language. English is the primary language of the United States. Nevertheless, don't limit yourself to one language. Expand your linguistic boundaries. Learn as many languages as you can and practice them as much as possible. You will learn from others. Others will learn from you.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
As an English/Spanish fully bilingual person striving to learn a 3rd language (Nihongo - look it up), this topic forces me to straddle both sides of the proverbial fence.

I've always believed that everyone residing in the United States Of America has an obligation to have a basic command of the English language. English is the language of the land. It's the language of commerce, business, and prosperity. Having a basic grasp of English demonstrates respect for the Host country and towards those with mono-linguistic limitations.

My position on this one? If you live in the USA, make sure you - at the very least - have a basic grasp of the English language. English is the primary language of the United States. Nevertheless, don't limit yourself to one language. Expand your linguistic boundaries. Learn as many languages as you can and practice them as much as possible. You will learn from others. Others will learn from you.

It's a waste of time to learn several languages you will never use here in the U.S. If you don't use it, you lose it. I can think of a lot more advantageous things to learn.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:45 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,397,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's a waste of time to learn several languages you will never use here in the U.S. If you don't use it, you lose it. I can think of a lot more advantageous things to learn.
Oh really? My current work experience vastly differs from your opinion.

I work in an industry dependent on specialized expertise. Oftentimes, that "specialized expertise" comes from Technical Field Advisors (TFAs) with basic English comprehension. Guess what? Having a basic understanding of their native languages (be it German, Nihongo, or Spanish) eases the sharing of technical data critical to facility process control and operations. If anything, knowing a few words in the TFAs native languages creates a relaxed work environment. Information flows a lot easier when we are all relaxed in an otherwise tense work environment.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Oh really? My current work experience vastly differs from your opinion.

I work in an industry dependent on specialized expertise. Oftentimes, that "specialized expertise" comes from Technical Field Advisors (TFAs) with basic English comprehension. Guess what? Having a basic understanding of their native languages (be it German, Nihongo, or Spanish) eases the sharing of technical data critical to facility process control and operations. If anything, knowing a few words in the TFAs native languages creates a relaxed work environment. Information flows a lot easier when we are all relaxed in an otherwise tense work environment.

There are exceptions to every rule. Working in the tourist industry is another example but for most Americans there is no need to learn foreign languages under normal circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies