Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When shopping while 'black' do you feel...
like your being watched, and afraid to even tie your shoes.. 12 17.65%
Feel at ease...and those who worry about such things must be guilty.. 4 5.88%
Feel those who monitor the security systems should be better trained.. 3 4.41%
Just ignore it all..and accept that's how society is..black or white... 8 11.76%
I'm to slick, they could never catch me... 5 7.35%
Have never noticed such PA annoucements... 20 29.41%
It happens to me too, and I'm white... 11 16.18%
Other... 5 7.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 07:14 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Oprah got racially profiled. That is sad and pathetic.
No it's not. I've worked in retail, and while it's fine for blacks to complain about feeling watched in stores, it's still blacks that are comprising most of the flash mobs and it's not you who are losing $$ when anyone shoplifts from you. Profiling is just being careful and closing the barn doors before the horses have run out of the barn. Once the item has left the store and been stolen, it's gone, it's history with no way of getting it back. And even the item is just hidden in a handbag or in a stroller under a baby but still within the store's boundaries, it's so much more hassle to confront the customer and get it back from them.

So it's always better to keep an eye on potential thieves and not give them any opportunity at all to steal from you... than it is to not look at them and let them steal from you, then try to get the item back from them. Thieves are the pathetic ones. And most of what they steal isn't even anything that they need to have. It's only blingy things that they think they need in order to make themselves look better to other people.

And shops don't owe poor people free merchandise.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:39 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No it's not. I've worked in retail, and while it's fine for blacks to complain about feeling watched in stores, it's still blacks that are comprising most of the flash mobs and it's not you who are losing $$ when anyone shoplifts from you. Profiling is just being careful and closing the barn doors before the horses have run out of the barn. Once the item has left the store and been stolen, it's gone, it's history with no way of getting it back. And even the item is just hidden in a handbag or in a stroller under a baby but still within the store's boundaries, it's so much more hassle to confront the customer and get it back from them.

So it's always better to keep an eye on potential thieves and not give them any opportunity at all to steal from you... than it is to not look at them and let them steal from you, then try to get the item back from them. Thieves are the pathetic ones. And most of what they steal isn't even anything that they need to have. It's only blingy things that they think they need in order to make themselves look better to other people.

You forget that EVERYONE is a potential thief. Behavior is a much better indicator than race. When I worked in retail, our security team caught a shoplifter while we were in a meeting about shrinkage. It was an elderly white man. If they'd been focusing only on the black people who were also in the store, they'd have missed it.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:10 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:

Lindsay Lohan, Winona Ryder, Britney Spears, Bai Ling......yep, all of these "Black people" should stop it with all of their sticky finger shoplifting!

Celebrity Shoplifting*Pictures - CBS News

Okay, So Why Do Celebrities Shoplift? : People.com

FYI, not a single one of these folks arrested for shoplifting are "Black". Also, White people who are thieves know that if they are in the store while there is a Black person is in the store that they can steal to their hearts content because security will have their eyes on the Black person which gives them a green light to take whatever they want. Many White people have a sense of entitlement which means that if the opportunity presents itself they will take something.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:00 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Lindsay Lohan, Winona Ryder, Britney Spears, Bai Ling......yep, all of these "Black people" should stop it with all of their sticky finger shoplifting!

Celebrity Shoplifting*Pictures - CBS News

Okay, So Why Do Celebrities Shoplift? : People.com

FYI, not a single one of these folks arrested for shoplifting are "Black". Also, White people who are thieves know that if they are in the store while there is a Black person is in the store that they can steal to their hearts content because security will have their eyes on the Black person which gives them a green light to take whatever they want. Many White people have a sense of entitlement which means that if the opportunity presents itself they will take something.
LOL. Returned to this thread this morning, and wow...so much nonsense posted in the last few pages, I'm giving up on it. As I've stated before, none of the opposing posters will EVER understand what black people endure. And conversely, there might be some things that white people experience that I will never understand. The difference is, I won't speak about those ceritain experiences of white people and try to discredit, disregard or downplay their situations. I am decent enough to understand that I can't control or change their experiences NOR dictate how they should feel about it. That's what is so incredulous.

But I will, however, briefly respond to the post that I quoted.

My exact sentiments. I immediately thought about those celebrities who were caught. I've yet to hear of any black celebrity being caught for shoplifting. There might have been some incidences, but not that I'm aware of.

And to MIU....who said "shops don't owe poor people free merchandise,"

HELLO....

Shops don't owe fortunate celebrities free merchandise, either. You stated thieves are the pathetic ones....oh, poor PATHETIC Winona Ryder and Britney Spears.

For the people who can understand and possibly relate to the OP, I suggest we just ignore the inanely laughable responses from the ones in denial and delusion and converse amongst ourselves.

Of course, there will probably be a barrage of opposing reponses from the delusional. I no longer have the patience to entertain their one track minds who aren't willing to even consider the possibities. They will NEVER understand...unless, of course, they do as John Howard Griffin did and become black like us...

Black Like Me - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-26-2011, 10:27 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
LOL. Returned to this thread this morning, and wow...so much nonsense posted in the last few pages, I'm giving up on it. As I've stated before, none of the opposing posters will EVER understand what black people endure. And conversely, there might be some things that white people experience that I will never understand. The difference is, I won't speak about those ceritain experiences of white people and try to discredit, disregard or downplay their situations. I am decent enough to understand that I can't control or change their experiences NOR dictate how they should feel about it. That's what is so incredulous.
By saying that what you endure is worse than others, you are implicitly saying that you know what everyone else endures. You are saying your experiences regarding shopping are worse than everyone else. Yet you have never walked in the shoes of anyone else. Therefore your entire statement is hypocritical.

Quote:
But I will, however, briefly respond to the post that I quoted.

My exact sentiments. I immediately thought about those celebrities who were caught. I've yet to hear of any black celebrity being caught for shoplifting. There might have been some incidences, but not that I'm aware of.

And to MIU....who said "shops don't owe poor people free merchandise,"

HELLO....

Shops don't owe fortunate celebrities free merchandise, either. You stated thieves are the pathetic ones....oh, poor PATHETIC Winona Ryder and Britney Spears.
The statistical likelihoods are not comparable. You bring up a couple washed up celebrities, and you think that makes your case? Hilarious.

The point that the poster was trying to make was that a store owner can and should do whatever they think is the most effective method. If they are incorrect, they will suffer the consequences by increased loss of merchandise. Your feelings are irrelevant.

Quote:
For the people who can understand and possibly relate to the OP, I suggest we just ignore the inanely laughable responses from the ones in denial and delusion and converse amongst ourselves.

Of course, there will probably be a barrage of opposing reponses from the delusional. I no longer have the patience to entertain their one track minds who aren't willing to even consider the possibities. They will NEVER understand...unless, of course, they do as John Howard Griffin did and become black like us...
Yeah. Everyone who disagrees with you is just stupid and has no idea what they're talking about. Compelling argument.

You will never understand what it's like to be constantly branded as an ignorant racist. So spare me the self righteous garbage.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
By saying that what you endure is worse than others, you are implicitly saying that you know what everyone else endures. You are saying your experiences regarding shopping are worse than everyone else. Yet you have never walked in the shoes of anyone else. Therefore your entire statement is hypocritical.

The statistical likelihoods are not comparable. You bring up a couple washed up celebrities, and you think that makes your case? Hilarious.

The point that the poster was trying to make was that a store owner can and should do whatever they think is the most effective method. If they are incorrect, they will suffer the consequences by increased loss of merchandise. Your feelings are irrelevant.

Yeah. Everyone who disagrees with you is just stupid and has no idea what they're talking about. Compelling argument.

You will never understand what it's like to be constantly branded as an ignorant racist. So spare me the self righteous garbage.
I think you should re-read her post, because you've seriously mischaracterized her position. Also perhaps consider conversing respectfully, rather than contemptuously.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:38 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I think you should re-read her post, because you've seriously mischaracterized her position.
Feel free to explain what I've gotten wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Also perhaps consider conversing respectfully, rather than contemptuously.
Respectfully? What? That whole post was a direct attack on the intelligence of anyone who disagreed. "one track minds" "responses from the delusional"

Old 08-27-2011, 11:44 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:

Cause, as I'm sure, Oprah totally looks like a flash mob.

I've worked in customer service and guess what--more than once my coworker caught a white guy that no one else suspected of stealing. Everyone else was too busy looking at the black people.

Profile fail. Profiling people is fine and a useful skill. Racially profiling people is what's not only inaccurate, but racist.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:05 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
When I was younger and, I guess, more criminal looking, security would tail me in some stores. I used to make a game out of it and duck in and out of the clothes aisles to see if I could lose him. Sometimes I'd wait around corner and jump out and scare him. That was usually the point when they would kick me out.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Feel free to explain what I've gotten wrong.
Okay, first - she didn't say that what blacks endure is worse than others, she said that white people will not be able to understand it. This is true. I'm white, I've lived with black people, shopped with black people, etc., and I don't claim to understand it in the visceral way that they do. Intellectually, I get it.

She also said that she might not be able to understand some things from the white perspective ... which you misstated as her never walking in anyone else's shoes. The point is, it's difficult to walk in other people's shoes, and the best we can do is try to imagine how we'd feel in that position. She acknowledges that she is not conversant with all of the problems that may come with being white.

The point of celebrities being caught shoplifting is that racial profiling is not a reliable method of catching thieves. Middle and upper class white people steal just as much, but not for "need" - most people who shoplift actually do it for the thrill. How many black celebrities have you heard of being nabbed for shoplifting? I personally cannot think of any.

The point that the other poster was trying to make is that it's A-OK to be a racist jerk if you clothe it in "I'm just trying to protect my STUFF". It's not okay, and it's not even effective. 'Cause you just KNOW those black people all steal.

Quote:
Respectfully? What? That whole post was a direct attack on the intelligence of anyone who disagreed. "one track minds" "responses from the delusional"
If you are not willing to consider another person's POV, then you are certainly among those "one track minds who refuse to consider the possibilities". Read the whole paragraph she wrote, and then think about whether you are one of the people she was talking about. Are you a knee-jerk defender of racists, or are black people frequently targeted in retail establishments because they are black? I'm white, and I can see it happening around me. Living in Tucson, I also see it with Hispanics.

I say respectfully because, though you may disagree with her statements, and that is perfectly fine, you expressed yourself with contempt toward her, and that is not okay. There are a lot of posters who use contempt to demean other posters without actually violating the letter of the TOS. That doesn't make it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies