Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 07:50 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It is one of those handy "rules" of convenience.
There are prohibitions in House rules about using office equipment for campaigns but I can't find anything prohibiting using a phone for personal calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:54 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
Weiner is sleazy, slimy, and probably just barely squirming by House ethics rules. But that's what a snake does.

Ultimately, the voters in his district will get to decide if he stays or goes.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:54 AM

I must note the prudishness of Americans. It's ok for a Congressman to lie about his plan that he says 'saves Medicare' when it actual destroys it but it's not ok to lie about an embarrassing photo sent during a private matter unrelated to running the government.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,737 times
This is FAR from over. There's much, much more information that will come out that's far more damaging than what's been reported thus far.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:11 AM

Andrew Sullivan's view:
Quote:
"Weiner has not resigned and, frankly, I see little reason why he should. No one, so far as I can tell, was harrassed, no one was abused, no actual sex even took place at all. I'm not sure one can even find any hypocrisy here. Moreover, if online flirting is unforgivable, why isn't off-line flirting unforgivable? And what really is the difference? Apart from pictures that can be used to humiliate - and even blackmail.

Yes, I realize that one congressman recently swiftly resigned over a Craigslist shirtless pic, but that was a stupid response then and it remains a stupid thing now. It was and should have remained a matter between him and his spouse. Given the result of NY-26, maybe even the GOP is regretting its bout of puritanism now.

...I don't view this as a partisan matter - I find it impossible to condemn Larry Craig out of hand and feel for Ted Haggard. And they were clearly acting hypocritically. There was also a shred of public reason for their humiliation. I don't see any broader argument being invoked here, except partisan revenge.

Should Weiner have done this? For an elected public official, it was unwise, inappropriate, stupid. For a human being, it remains well within the bounds of, well, human.

Yes, he absolutely should not have lied. He should never have lied. But he has now also copped to his lies. It would take a particularly pitiless person to pile on some more. And I am grateful that even Andrew Breitbart seems to have drawn the line there."

Old 06-07-2011, 08:17 AM

150 posts, read 297,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Really? The women who are now linked to Wiener aren't being harassed by the news media now? Did they do something wrong other than being chosen by the Congressman? I guess what's important is analyzing only what a person's actions are, not the repercussions. And hey, why hold out elected representatives to higher standard, we all sext random strangers right?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:23 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
I must note the prudishness of Americans. It's ok for a Congressman to lie about his plan that he says 'saves Medicare' when it actual destroys it but it's not ok to lie about an embarrassing photo sent during a private matter unrelated to running the government.
Can you believe the phoney outcry for justice in the name of morals from people that openly support the real culprits in goverment?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:34 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
There are prohibitions in House rules about using office equipment for campaigns but I can't find anything prohibiting using a phone for personal calls.
Rep. Nancy Pelosi, the party leader, said she was "disappointed and saddened." She and other Democrats called for an ethics committee investigation to determine whether Weiner had broken any House rules.

seems the former speaker dis-agrees with your partisanship

Nor are fellow Democrats in Congress likely to take it well that Weiner lied to them, as well as to his wife and the public.

Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., defended Weiner a week ago, based on the congressman's assurances that he had not been involved in the photo sent via Twitter
However much lying may be invoked as a betrayal of trust, it also raises questions about what other damaging information may not yet be known.

btw it was a OFFICE ISSUED blackberry

Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,850 times
Quote:
I'm with you on that one. But they could learn so much from Hugh Grant and his mea culpa. When you're busted you're busted, it's lying that is so damaging.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Rep. Nancy Pelosi, the party leader, said she was "disappointed and saddened." She and other Democrats called for an ethics committee investigation to determine whether Weiner had broken any House rules.

seems the former speaker dis-agrees with your partisanship

btw it was a OFFICE ISSUED blackberry
House rules only prohibit government equipment from being used for campaign or partisan purposes.

If you notice your Pelosi statement, Pelosi is saying to open an ethics committee investigation to determine whether Weiner had broken any House rules. Pelosi isn't saying, as you are, that he had broken rules.

Going to a hearing isn't an indication of guilt. I have no problem opening an investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies