Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Weird, isn't it?

Jada Pinkett?
Beyonce?
Halle Barry?

My junior high was prbably about 85-90% African American. There were plenty of attractive and downright beautiful African American girls and guys. No Hollywood stars, just some very beautiful girls. There were some who weren't so pretty, too. Same with the Whites.

The magazine deserves every bit of backlash it receives. IN fact, I hope they go out of business for being so stupid as to print such garbage.
Amen.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,456 times
I knew a black girl who would drive to NY (several states away) to get a chemical face peel every 6 months or so. It would both lighten her skin as well as take away wrinkles (the skin underneath was lighter and smoother).

Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
No, actually, they don't. Not to the extent that black women do. Not judging, just sayin.
That is ridiculous. They all try to improve their "beauty". Beauty products are dominated for and by white women, PERIOD. They are constantly adding "african american" features and butt injections are a growing trend.

Again it is fine to hold an opinion or be more attracted to a certain look or type of women.

That said only a biased dimwit would not recognize beauty of all races. Some women are stunning, so stunning it just transcends conceptions of beauty.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Uhh... that's not at all what just happened.

What was weak is presenting a petition to remove someone from their job because you disagreed with their findings.

Not you, per se, since I have absolutely no clue who you are.

Though, I do think you guys are having a hard time separating facts from emotion.
Hard to do, considering there were no facts in the post...........

Old 05-31-2011, 10:07 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
And you believe that? Some people will believe anything these days.
FYI, it is obvious that it is her hair when you see that it is parted down to the scalp and the texture of her hair is heat styled, unrelaxed hair.

So you are stating that Black women (who have two Black parents) can not have long, natural hair?

Its really sad that "certain types of people" would rather hold fast to the negative stereotypes regarding the beauty of Black women than to acknowledge that they are incorrect.

YouTube - ‪NATURAL HAIR update WITH RESULTS from A low maintenance regimen‬‏

YouTube - ‪Long natural 4b hair journey‬‏

Old 05-31-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheLookout View Post
I might advise a little more patience before whipping out the race card. I'll readily admit I haven't read the article yet so I don't know how they conducted their study.

Say for example if they sat a group of men of varying races down before a series of pictures of women of different races and were asked to pick out who they thought was most attractive. How could a scenario like that be considered racist.

I agree 100% that beauty is in the eye of the beholder; I won't debate that.
Easily. People of all races in this society have been raised with white supremacist European values in terms of what is attractive and what is not.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,138,344 times
It's not exactly racist to suggest many consider black women with "black" features, especially facial, arent attractive Take a look at hollywood, models, and even singers. The ones who are popular and propped up as attractive don't have black features, but rather white facial features. Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but in the sense of what is typically considered attractive in our vain world, the magazine isn't far off from the truth

Old 05-31-2011, 10:12 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So you are stating that Black women (who have two Black parents) can not have long, natural hair?

Its really sad that "certain types of people" would rather hold fast to the negative stereotypes regarding the beauty of Black women than to acknowledge that they are incorrect.
I didn't state any such thing, I'm simply saying that while you can pick a handful of black women who have long, natural hair I can point out a few million who do not but spend millions of dollars trying to get it. Someone in this thread already said that having nappy hair isn't a negative stereotype, I don't understand how pointing out something that happens naturally could be seen as a negative stereotype when some people are actually proud of having nappy hair.

If you want to talk about the beauty of black women don't hand pick the few who have very unusual characteristics which make them look a lot more like other races, stick to the overwhelming majority of nappy hair having, proud black women and you'll have better luck with your agenda.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:12 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times
Quote:
No, actually, they don't. Not to the extent that black women do. Not judging, just sayin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
It's not exactly racist to suggest many consider black women with "black" features, especially facial, arent attractive Take a look at hollywood, models, and even singers. The ones who are popular and propped up as attractive don't have black features, but rather white facial features. Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but in the sense of what is typically considered attractive in our vain world, the magazine isn't far off from the truth
And some of us prefer some meat on the bone compared to those "hollywood" types that look like Calista Flockhart on crack. That ain't pretty to me, when I can see your spine through your chest.

There are many beautiful women of color that do not get HollyWood parts b/c they are too "thick" in the right places. Its also why you see a bunch of 5 foot 1 actors that look weird standing to a RARE tall actor like Vince Vaughn.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:15 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
I knew a black girl who would drive to NY (several states away) to get a chemical face peel every 6 months or so. It would both lighten her skin as well as take away wrinkles (the skin underneath was lighter and smoother).
Wow, one whole Black girl who gets chemical peels. And so that ONE Black girl represents what ALL Black people do? Laughable. Far too many things can go wrong for most Black people to consider chemical peels. And for the most part, we simply do not need to do them because our skin is not prone to getting as many wrinkles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies